• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 6*

327 posts in this topic

Hey Toro, how in Gods name did you give that book a 7????????

C-E-N-S-U-S :gossip:

I never even thought to check, as I'm trying to play this above-board.

Wow! You guys are friggin great people. So if you said 7.0, which I did, as did so many others then you cheated. Sorry Vince and everyone else I do not cheat. I saw it as I posted my grade as a 6.5 and since I didn't bump the last grade, I bumped this one, which is in my PM.

I guess these people need to be branded as cheaters too, so lets put there names out there since they also said 7.0. (let me first say that I am not saying any of you cheated, but according to some you must have)

sterlingcomics

prodigy44

machinHD

Worldsbestcomics

Rodey

loboagain

AlexH

pastandpresentcomics

Mr.Diggler

Dark Knight

comicwiz

shadroch

byosti

Tsimanga

Timmay

Norrin Radd

G.A. tor

He11blazer

canikus

bryan91

comicdonna

I have been consistant over all of the years in all different grading contests, I came in 3rd in the 2005 St. Louis Comic Forum's grading contest (which had PGX books in it and they didn't have a census at that time! Well how could I have gotten those right? I also won the first NOD comic triathlon which was only 1/3 grading. )

The grading contests, no matter where I placed has always been fun. But the friggin negativity in here right now really sucks big time. Now I understand why greggy quit it that year.

Nik held these contests because he loved doing it and he loved this forum. I used to have the same feeling, right now I am questioning that. I won't pull a Flaming Drama Queen exit from the contest, but I sure as heck won't apologize if I get a book right.

Judging by that list I absolutely concur with you......all cheaters :baiting:

Wow.

I put that book as a 5.0.

But like I said it was my grade and drewincanada... I'm not comfortable anymore!

:eek:

I'm going to print out a copy of this book and submit it with my Captain America 100 that I thought should be a 7.0.

Hopefully it will now come back as a 10.0! :insane:

This is no longer a grading contest. It's a see-who-can-throw-the-dart-the-straightest-while-blindfolded contest. :/

Ker-Rect. (thumbs u

This is in no way a shot at those who have organised this contest...they have done a brilliant job for a very noble cause and have attempted to put some real fun into the boards. Major kudos to all of them! (worship)

However, after seeing this POS in a 7.0 holder, it's obvious that it isn't a contest, as a 'contest' involves a modicum of skill. This is simply a lottery.

The only advice I can give is to treat this as you would buying on eBay, but in reverse. Think about what the book is likely to be in reality, but then add a full alpha grade when you take your wild guess.

Actually, if this was an eBay seller calling this book a 7.0, we'd probably have a 98 page thread in General. hm

And maybe some learning will take place and you will all end up better graders. (thumbs u

I would agree with you all day long before that last comic. 7.0? What a ing joke. CGC got it wrong, wrong, wrong. :sumo:

Actually, if this was an eBay seller calling this book a 7.0, we'd probably have a 98 page thread in General. hm

Man, you are dead on about that. (thumbs u

How about NOT posting census data? That would fall under HELPING OTHER PEOPLE with the grading. Everyone needs to make their own way.

(thumbs u

Yeah! I don't need anybody else's help getting all of these wrong. I can do that all by myself! :sumo::grin:

TRUTH!

Guys,

This is a MEMORIAL grading contest held in Niks honor. The rest of us cannot and will not police what is done outside of these boards to come up with your final grade. That is up to each and every individual. The contest is to have fun and allow others to enjoy both our successes and failures with our guesses and raise some money for charity when all is said and done.

Lets make it a success.

+1

if one wants to use all available info/data to "cheat" then so be it...the fun of the game for me is a challenge on my own skills or lack of.

Like games, I have friends that need to find the cheat codes asap so they can blow through a game without having to "figure" it out...I on the other hand, prefer to get frustrated and beat up my screen a few times before I give up or conquer the game.

+1 I refuse to use the census,and make it on my own steam.

Agreed

I'm not accusing anyone of anything,just dont understand how that could even be a 7.0 in the first place.

Nikos bump. Sometimes it helps you, other times it kills you (see my score in Round 2 :P ).

Overall, I thought the book looked pretty good and the dark cover accentuated the defects. I graded it FN or so, but bumped it because who would bother to submit a 6.0 Tomahawk 116.

This is no longer a grading contest. It's a see-who-can-throw-the-dart-the-straightest-while-blindfolded contest. :/

However, after seeing this POS in a 7.0 holder, it's obvious that it isn't a contest, as a 'contest' involves a modicum of skill. This is simply a lottery.

So, you are saying toro should play the lottery huh?

I dunno guys, I looked at that last one and said 7.0 within 10 seconds, submitted my grade and wham.

CGC don't sweat the spine creases as much as most guys on the PGM forum do. I know this because of the tatty Conan #1 8.0 I once had.

I'm not good at grading. I'm a bit rubbish in fact. But so far my mental comparison with slabs I have owned or submitted is matching up nicely (I'm sure it won't last, it never did in the previous contests!)

Theory: When people fist discover CGC they are shocked at the tight standards compared to what they are used to from cheap ebay dealers. Maybe they even submit a few books they thought were VF/NM and get a rude awakening. This makes them harshly re-evaluate their standards. This harshness becomes a habit, and even as they become accustomed to this higher standard they continue to berate themselves for being soft, and try to be harsher still (having been once bitten). This ultimately makes them stricter than CGC, whereupon they start criticising CGC for being soft.

Either that or scans really amplify defects ;)

BTW the above theory was exactly what happened to me.

Ker-Rect. (thumbs u

This is in no way a shot at those who have organised this contest...they have done a brilliant job for a very noble cause and have attempted to put some real fun into the boards. Major kudos to all of them! (worship)

The only advice I can give is to treat this as you would buying on eBay, but in reverse. Think about what the book is likely to be in reality, but then add a full alpha grade when you take your wild guess.

Yeah, but everyone here knows you grade tighter than CGC, which is why your sales threads are so popular (thumbs u

CGC don't sweat the spine creases as much as most guys on the PGM forum do. I know this because of the tatty Conan #1 8.0 I once had.

Food for thought, especially in this contest. hm

However, there are more than just spine creases going on there. Those tears around the lower staple are what threw me off. That and the filthy back cover. I still think this is a CGC gaff.

Overstreet Standards for Fine/Very Fine

include-

minor creases allowed

slight staple tears

minor foxing

cream/tan pages

Description-An above average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A comic in this grade appears to have been read a few times and handled with care.

Fine and Fine/Very Fine are the toughest books to grade. One mans 6.0 can easily be another mans 7.0.

It took me about ten seconds to come up with the 6.0-7.0 range on this book and another minute or so to decide to go with the high range.

I find these grades easier than deciding if a book is a 9.6 or a 9.8 because in my experiance as a dealer, grades stopped at 9.4. Either a book was NM or it wasn't.

Theory: When people fist discover CGC they are shocked at the tight standards compared to what they are used to from cheap ebay dealers. Maybe they even submit a few books they thought were VF/NM and get a rude awakening. This makes them harshly re-evaluate their standards. This harshness becomes a habit, and even as they become accustomed to this higher standard they continue to berate themselves for being soft, and try to be harsher still (having been once bitten). This ultimately makes them stricter than CGC, whereupon they start criticising CGC for being soft.

Either that or scans really amplify defects ;)

BTW the above theory was exactly what happened to me.

Truth!