• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 1 - All facts about Todd's Spider-Man issue one.

145 posts in this topic

I've been looking through eBay looking to buy some Todd McFarlene Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 books and I noticed that not only are there Platinum, Gold, Silver and Green covers but apparently Poly-Bagged and non Poly-Bagged version of all at least three of those covers (I don't think Platinum had a poly-bagged version being a retailer copy). I can't seem to noticed any difference between the poly-bagged and non poly-bagged versions when looking at them in the CGC case but apparently there are pricing differences both in GPA and on eBay.

Can anyone help me unravel the mystery of how to distinguish them? Is it just a CGC notation that I'm paying for? And why we're at it, let's display all the different possible covers in this thread so it may be useful to someone else in the future while collecting Spider-Man #1's! (thumbs u

I figured out the difference. Apparently poly-bagged version just have the number 1 in the price box where as non poly-bagged versions have the number 1 and a price of $1.75 - at least when it comes to the Silver Edition. Who knew. (shrug) Now if I could just figure out the difference between the Green Covers. hm

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover (Newsstand Edition/Regular)

77908253258.1.NBAGSPI.GIF

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover (Newsstand/UPC Edition)

77908253258.1.NEWSUPC.GIF

Spider-Man 1 Silver Cover (Regular)

77908253258.1.SILVER.GIF

Spider-Man 1 Silver Cover (Poly-Bagged)

77908253258.1.SILVBAG.GIF

Spider-Man 1 Gold Cover (Newsstand/2nd print)

77908253258.1.GOLD.GIF

Spider-Man 1 Gold Cover (UPC Edition from Wal-mart)

!CBQBvEwEWk~$(KGrHqV,!hcEze(RE2G7BNG3eZHHc!~~0_3.JPG

Spider-Man 1 Platinum Cover (Retailer Edition)

77908253258.1.PLATINUM.GIF

Here's what I'm talking about...

I hate to do this because a few months from now no one will know what these pictures were but I would like help solving this mystery.

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover Non Poly-Bagged

!CBnbgtwEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!ioE0GuGBr6!BNIcRu8rg!~~0_3.JPG

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover Poly-Bagged

!C!Y7fywBGk~$(KGrHqV,!isE0GgD00+kBNCuEWYzNQ~~0_3.JPG

Here's what I'm talking about...

I hate to do this because a few months from now no one will know what these pictures were but I would like help solving this mystery.

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover Non Poly-Bagged

!CBnbgtwEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!ioE0GuGBr6!BNIcRu8rg!~~0_3.JPG

Spider-Man 1 Green Cover Poly-Bagged

!C!Y7fywBGk~$(KGrHqV,!isE0GgD00+kBNCuEWYzNQ~~0_3.JPG

Am I missing something???

Maybe they distinguish because CGC removes the ploybag from the book so they can mark the slab as poly bagged edition? (shrug)

That would be my understanding.

Agreed.

Were there non poly-bagged editions of the Green Cover with the Spider-Man head in the UPC area? I thought they only shipped poly-bagged. (shrug)

Caution should be made when purchasing these CGC'd, as there have been several notation mistakes.

Poly-bagged "green" copies have DARK PURPLE webbing.

Non-PB "green" copies (both spidey head DM and UPC code newsstand) have GREY webbing.

When I had a table at a con many years ago. I would give a free one of these to each and every kid that walked by my table. Both the green and the silver, depending upon which one they wanted. Most took the silver. They were all NM or better and bagged and boarded in mylites. Even gave away poly bagged issues. I knew they would never be worth much as there are just too many of them around. It was fun giving them out to the kids. I noticed that some fathers would return a few minutes later and buy "something" from me. Not much. Just something.

I think I gave about 40 or 50 away. I still sometimes include them as a bonus in my packages on the rare occasions I sell a book or two. I thought the artwork was great. Still do.

Anybody would think it was a marketing gimmick :insane:

This was the beginning of the whole speculator deal, and (along with Valiant) this was the start of the Modern Age. Once this book hit, we got X-Force 1, X-Men 1, Image, etc.