• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 1 - All facts about Todd's Spider-Man issue one.

145 posts in this topic

That is super generous of you. I wouldn't sell it if it was given to me as a gift.

I was thrilled when I got my platinum book a few years back at one of the board swap meets we used to do. It was always one of those books that I coveted when I was first really into collecting. Couldn't afford it at the time. The one LCS in my area that had one back then had a price tag of $500 on it.

Prices on it have certainly cooled since then. My copy is "only" an 8.5.

Congrats - the marketing letter is yours. PM on the way.

Now, to find it. :ohnoez:

That is super generous of you. I wouldn't sell it if it was given to me as a gift.

I was thrilled when I got my platinum book a few years back at one of the board swap meets we used to do. It was always one of those books that I coveted when I was first really into collecting. Couldn't afford it at the time. The one LCS in my area that had one back then had a price tag of $500 on it.

Prices on it have certainly cooled since then. My copy is "only" an 8.5.

Congrats - the marketing letter is yours. PM on the way.

Now, to find it. :ohnoez:

Class act :applause:

Very nice. That last one might only be a 8.0. hm:baiting:

Nice pick ups. Everyone kills that book (because everyone has multiple copies), but McSpidey #1is an important book historically. doesn't hurt to have 9.8 examples. That platinum pgx book looks nicer than my cgc 8.5 (I know you're kidding).

Spiderman1_Platinum.jpg

Got another copy signed by McFarlane on the back cover but I think it came back a 8.5

Never can find a copy now that still has the letter with it in my searching. Even this 9.8 did not have the letter.

Ok guys.... a little info on what I think is quite possibly the most rare variant of this book in the world! The Turkish comic market is very difficult to get into all by itself.... I am on the one Turkish comic book forum and have been learning some interesting stuff. For starters there are not many American comic fans there.... so American licensed material is rare there anyway... (shrug)

There is also a Mcfarlene Spidey 1 that was printed there as a traditional comic and that book is rare already..... but they also printed a version on cheap newsprint that was a insert into a newspaper. Now don't qoute me on this but I think this info is correct... hm The owner of this book is a boardie here and maybe he will chime in? But.... a couple of factors... its Turkish, which makes it rare already... it was a newspaper insert.... how many peeps just threw it away? And last but not least, it was printed on very cheap newsprint, which hurts its chances at survival.

My belief is that this if not the most rare variant of this book in the world, could still possibly be the only copy in North America! :o

IMG_1481.jpg

It is also in my opinion that if rarity is a indicator of value.... this book should be worth to the right Super Spidey collector with deep pockets thousands as is plural of dollars! hm

Ok guys.... a little info on what I think is quite possibly the most rare variant of this book in the world!

My belief is that this if not the most rare variant of this book in the world, could still possibly be the only copy in North America! :o

PM sent

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little about it being worth thousands? (shrug) but, still for a book that might realistically have a population numbers in America of 1 or 3 it should have a very high amount associated with it me thinks... hm

Ive read this whole thread and I must say I am surprised the Blue Lizard Error/variant # 1 has not been brought up.

Blue Lizard

I know a lot of people talked down this book, I can say ive personally looked at thousands of Spider-Man # 1's trying to find one on the cheap, and have never found one.

I guess its only cool if its a cover error.... and only worth something if CGC gives it a Blue Label

Are the signed #1's with the little McFarlane comic shop stamp on the back worth any money?

Yes

What would be a appx value in NM for a signed McFarlane with the stamp on the back? Thank you in advance (thumbs u

Are the signed #1's with the little McFarlane comic shop stamp on the back worth any money?

Yes

What would be a appx value in NM for a signed McFarlane with the stamp on the back? Thank you in advance (thumbs u

Realistically anywhere between $5 and $100 depending on what day it is on eBay. The average being about $50.

If it were a straight sale, I'd say in the $25 to $50 area. If you still have the letter that came with it $50 to $100 wouldn't be out of question.

You can still find steals on it with newly listed eBay Buy It Nows.

I have about a dozen copies give or take. Many with the letters.

Here's the letter.

Please note that it has the position of the stamp scribbled out and changed to the back cover.

From what I was told back when the Spider's Web did these books they started out stamping them on page 1 but after a while realized that it was a lot easier to stamp them on the backs. Flip the book, stamp, flip the book, stamp, instead of fumbling with opening the book to stamp the first page.

I don't know why they didn't go to the trouble of typing up a new letter instead of just marking it out, but it is what it is.

Also from what I was told years ago, they quickly figured out how much trouble stamping the book on page 1 was so there are not very many of them.

If you have a copy signed by McFarlane on the knee on the left side and it doesn't have the stamp on the back cover, look on page 1. If it's there it's rare. I've had a lot of copies of this book go through my hands over the years, but I have never held a page 1 stamped copy.

McFarlane only signed these copies for Spider's Web on the knee exclusively. He will not sign in that spot with the same signature.

134265.jpg.35a8d24f1da652ff884e58946dab5769.jpg

Here's the letter.

Please note that it has the position of the stamp scribbled out and changed to the back cover.

From what I was told back when the Spider's Web did these books they started out stamping them on page 1 but after a while realized that it was a lot easier to stamp them on the backs. Flip the book, stamp, flip the book, stamp, instead of fumbling with opening the book to stamp the first page.

I don't know why they didn't go to the trouble of typing up a new letter instead of just marking it out, but it is what it is.

Also from what I was told years ago, they quickly figured out how much trouble stamping the book on page 1 was so there are not very many of them.

If you have a copy signed by McFarlane on the knee on the left side and it doesn't have the stamp on the back cover, look on page 1. If it's there it's rare. I've had a lot of copies of this book go through my hands over the years, but I have never held a page 1 stamped copy.

McFarlane only signed these copies for Spider's Web on the knee exclusively. He will not sign in that spot with the same signature.

I might have missed it but which version were the signed books? I bought some #1's on eBay years ago and they happened to be signed. With what you said above I looked at the Front scans I have on my phone and both are signed on Spidey's knee. They are a Silver and Green versions with a T Mcfarlane sig. I don't know off hand if there is a stamp on the back (or on page one for that matter). I'll check when I get home. Does this sound like the ones your talking about?