• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 1 - All facts about Todd's Spider-Man issue one.

145 posts in this topic

I might have missed it but which version were the signed books? I bought some #1's on eBay years ago and they happened to be signed. With what you said above I looked at the Front scans I have on my phone and both are signed on Spidey's knee. They are a Silver and Green versions with a T Mcfarlane sig. I don't know off hand if there is a stamp on the back (or on page one for that matter). I'll check when I get home. Does this sound like the ones your talking about?

Answered my own question. Both books have the stamp on the back. Never noticed it before now. Really just means I wasn't paying attention. This has turned out to be my big eBay score. I think for $10 or $20 I got both of these books and my Marvel Try-Out OA page. I think the wife/girlfriend was unloading her husband/boyfriends stuff.

spidey1_signed_zps434df4ce.jpgspidey1_signed_back_zps1ccb301b.jpg

I might have missed it but which version were the signed books? I bought some #1's on eBay years ago and they happened to be signed. With what you said above I looked at the Front scans I have on my phone and both are signed on Spidey's knee. They are a Silver and Green versions with a T Mcfarlane sig. I don't know off hand if there is a stamp on the back (or on page one for that matter). I'll check when I get home. Does this sound like the ones your talking about?

Answered my own question. Both books have the stamp on the back. Never noticed it before now. Really just means I wasn't paying attention. This has turned out to be my big eBay score. I think for $10 or $20 I got both of these books and my Marvel Try-Out OA page. I think the wife/girlfriend was unloading her husband/boyfriends stuff.

spidey1_signed_zps434df4ce.jpgspidey1_signed_back_zps1ccb301b.jpg

Yes, this is the books in question. Sorry, I should have posted a scan.

He signed both the green and the black/silver cover.

They may have had equal numbers signed because they're about 50/50 in the wild.

21 different Spidermans. Im still searching the others that are missing and hope to complete this foreign and variant set by the years end. The most difficult and rare are the Turkish Editions. The numbered Turkish were free giveaways in the local Turkish newspaper printing and contained 8 pages each. Im still missing 9 other Spiderman versions and just snagged a Polish version but it will take a month or so with shipping.

I present you my 21 Spiderman #1s....

Top Row Left to Right

1 O Homem Arahnha 1 (Brazil)

2 Mega Marvel 3 (Sweden)

3 Hämähäkkimies 4 (Finland)

4 ASM 1 (Japan)

5 Spiderman 1 Mamouth (Greek)

6 Complete Spiderman 1 (UK)

7 Omnibus Spiderman 1 (Dutch)

Middle Row Left to Right

8 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #N(Turkey)

9 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #1(Turkey)

10 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #2(Turkey)

11 ÖRÜMCEK ADAM 1 #3(Turkey)

12 Star Magazine 8 (Italy)

13 Spiderman Semic 1 (France)

14 Spiderman 1 Forum R15 (Spain)

Bottom Row Left to Right

15 Spiderman 1 (US) Color Bagged

16 Spiderman 1 (US) Color Direct

17 Spiderman Torment (Italy)

18 Hombre Arana 500 (Mexico)

19 Spiderman 1 (US) Gold Direct

20 Spiderman 1 (US) Silver Bagged

21 Spiderman 1 (US) Silver Direct

C360_2013-05-05-16-54-38_org_zpsc08b107a.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-05_org_zps447d61e8.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-21_zps1824b83c.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-55_zps8648bbc1.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-56-08_org_zps67f2c5d6.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-56-23_org_zpse0cb27d9.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-59-42-11_zpsaf05d4a5.jpg

You forgot the chromium cover...and to think, I used to have a 9.9 chromium cover to ASM 300 back in 2001.

You will see i stated Im still missing 9 more books... The American books are p-i-s-s easy to get with a click on Ebay, not these foreigns

Good Forum. I recently got a copy of this issue. After this post I double checked the back to make sure there wasn't a letter back there before I send it off to be signed and graded in a couple of weeks...No luck on the letter, but made a copy of the picture in the earlier posts.

Personally I would like to get interior scans of all the extra artwork and statements that go in place of all the ads of the regular book to put in a binder. I'm too afraid of opening up mine though with the delicate spine. Anyone have a lower grade copy they wouldn't mind scanning?

It is a shame that there are so many copies out there of this comic and it is basically worthless. I remember how excited I was as a kid when I got my first copy. Despite its lack of value, it is still one of my favorite covers of all time.

It is a shame that there are so many copies out there of this comic and it is basically worthless. I remember how excited I was as a kid when I got my first copy. Despite its lack of value, it is still one of my favorite covers of all time.

I think we all have that feeling. But you know what? It's still worth a couple of bucks and that in and of itself is awesome. When Todd left the series went to . We love you Eric but you're no Todd.

By the way, does the original art for Spider-Man #1 even still exists? I would love to own a good Spidey swinging shot.

the american is pretty much worthless. the japanese and tukey issues are extremely rare. the Turkey issues were given away for free in 1996 in a local newspaper and most were thrown away the very next day with the newspapers.

the american is pretty much worthless. the japanese and tukey issues are extremely rare. the Turkey issues were given away for free in 1996 in a local newspaper and most were thrown away the very next day with the newspapers.

Man, it is nice having international market knowledge on this forum. I had no idea how rare some of these are until folks like yourself started collecting and posting.

:applause:

Man, it is nice having international market knowledge on this forum. I had no idea how rare some of these are until folks like yourself started collecting and posting.

:applause:

the most rare and scarce comics dont really equate to higher value

ASM#129 and Hulk 181 is by no means scarce but both hold great value up into the 9.8's

Seems like everyone and their grandmother have one.

Ive been looking for a Worlds Finest #71 it has proven difficult

Good or Bad, Spider-Man 1 is a very iconic issue. And is one of my favorite covers as well. I like the story too. Todd's McFarlane's Lizard is cool. (Has anyone mentioned the Blue Lizard variant yet?) This issue sold about 2.8 million copies being one of the first comics to sell over a million and setting a record at the time.

The original artwork for the cover I believe sold for $250,000.

...I'm sending in my Platinum Edition tomorrow to be signed by Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. This will be my first CGC book. :) I hope it grades high.

Not sure what all the hype is on the Gold UPC version other than for completest. The only difference is the UPC code. It doesn't have the special artwork the Platinum edition has. Honestly I like the cover for the green or platinum edition way better. As the book was intended for.