• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics your primary or secondary hobby? What are your other hobbies?

212 posts in this topic

Besides reading the boards and posting on here I don't really spend much time around comics. I find I have so many different things I enjoy its hard to have a primary.

I play a lot of 1st person shooter games on Xbox if I'm not at the gun range shooting my guns. I watch a lot of hockey if I'm not on the ice playing like I do most weekends. I also snowboard a lot during the winter at Whistler and if it's too cold I'll stay at home and play some guitar.

Those are just some of the things I do. I dabble in a lot of things too.

Thought I might add some more things I dabble in - sturgeon and salmon fishing, crab trapping, watching movies(I watch a lot of movies) dirt biking and motorcycles, cigar smoking/collecting etc etc

Not sure it qualifies as a "hobby". But I play poker for money, at least four times a week. It is a part time job really.

So I guess my other hobby is racing homing pigeons. I race with the Cincinnati Racing Pigeon Combine. We race up to 500 miles. It used to be 1,000 miles but expenses to ship birds that far have curtailed those longer races. Sadly.

All of the birds are let loose at the same location (100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and 500), at the same time, and each bird goes back to its owners home (the birds loft). When the bird reaches its home, it has an electronic chip on its leg that "logs" it is as it crossed over a pad at the entracne of its coop, that is called an "antennae". The logs the bird into a sealed module that is later taken to the club house and the recorded time for each bird is received by the club/combine. A combine includes several clubs.

Anyway. That is it in a nutchell. Each birds recorded time from release to arrival at its home, is broken down to ypm (yards per minute) that it flew and the bird withthe fastest ypm is the winner. Wind and weather have a lot do do with race perfomance, but on a nice day with no wind, a racing pigeon will average 45 to 50 miles an hour over two hundred miles or so. The racing pigeon is the fastest bird on the planet, on level flught. The fastest record racing pigeon recorded was 120 mph, but that race had a strong tail wind towards the birds home. There are faster birds that dive, like the peregrin falcon and others. Hawks do chase and wevery so often catch a homing pigeon, but they usually get the out of shape, young (inexperienced) or injured ones. They "get" them quite often when the birds are young and just coming out of their loft for the first time. You ahve to babysit them and watch out for the hawks for several weeks while weaning and training young birds.

There are money races and some are high stakes. You can enter a bird by paying anywhere from a ten dollar entry fee, to a 5,000 dollar entry fee. The larger prizes can pay the winner hundreds of thousands of dollars. There is one race, one time a year. In Africa, that pays one million dollars.

Birds can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars, as proven winners, which would then be used as breeders. Because you can only race a bird to the home it was born and raised in. Their homing ability can not be transferred to another location. Last year, someone paid $127,000 dollars for a 28 day old baby pigeon that had just barely learned to fly. It was a record for such a young bird. Older proven birds have sold for hundreds of thousands in the past.

Comics are my main hobby,but I do have a couple more.

I collect Autographs,I draw a little and am trying to restore a 1929 Oakland 3 window business coupe.

Here is a sample of my drawing

photo2.jpg

Scan10113.jpg

Here's my car,it's not done yet.One day :cloud9:

MA1.jpg

MA3.jpg

Right now, comics are primary. Saltwater aquariums used to be my main hobby but i've been having tank troubles for the last 9 months or so and it's gotten pushed into the background.

In its glory a few years ago, my tank looked like this

alottalps0001.jpg

rightemail0001.jpg

I've wanted a salt water aquarium since I was a kid. Very cool!

I wore Jordan's when he was still playing...from about 1988 to 1998 ( I still have my 1989's in fairly nice shape as I only wore those to play and only indoors ( the rest of my pairs were daily drivers ). I stopped wearing them when he retired from the Bulls for the 2nd time, but it's very cool to see they're still coming out with new gear.

I'd say computers are my other hobby, I've been a programmer in the games industry (Age of Empires, Halo Wars, etc.) for over a decade, so technically my hobby is my occupation. :)

...find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.. :)

It's probably a close race between comics and kids, both time and money-wise. We spend a lot on both.

Secondary... used to be primary.

Collect new/unused nintendo games these days

Awesome. I very lightly collect old video games. It's something my younger brother and I can do together.

Though I buy old Nintendo games too, I also love old Sega Genesis games. I really want the Earthworm Jim stuff. I bought Bubsy in a perfect cardboard box with all of the original paperwork. Those cardboard boxes are tough because they damage so easily.

Did you find that Cheetahmen III for Nintendo? My brother has all Nintendo games burned so we tried it out. Super hard. Game goes for $750 easy.

Pat

I'm split between comics, movies and books.

Right now I want comics to be my primary hobby, so I'm searching inside my mind which comic books I want to have and my focuses on collecting comics.

I love movies and because it never hit me when the DVD come (I've had a bunch of movies only), it hit me hard with the Blu-ray thing. I have more than 100 movies and like everyone of them. I try to only have what I really want to have, not compulsive buyings, as for comic books too.