• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A happy ending

14 posts in this topic

Not that kind. (tsk)

But now that I have your attention...

I've read the numerous "what kind of scanner is best for slabs?" threads over the past few years, and I was impressed with the results people were getting from the Microtek i800. Unfortunately, they're impossible to find in Canada these days, and I get the impression that Microtek is now out of the scanner business.

So I found a "lightly used" Microtek i800 Pro model on Ebay. It ended up costing me $200 including shipping, which is far less than it would have cost me new.

I was concerned that it would be in lousy condition (or not work at all), or that it would be damaged in transit from Texas to Toronto. But I received it this afternoon and hooked it up and did my first scan:

th_AVENGERS04_SS_BACK.jpg

Click through to Photobucket, and then click on the scan to view it at full size. This is a raw scan. No contrast or colour saturation adjustment in Photoshop, no sharpening.

A scanner happy ending. :whee:

Andrew,

can you scan Treasury books with this one?

hm

Nah. Still have to do them in two pieces. I can do the full height of a treasury, but they're too wide for the scanner bed. I can do up to 8.5" x 14", and treasuries are roughly 10" x 13.25".

Not that kind. (tsk)

But now that I have your attention...

I've read the numerous "what kind of scanner is best for slabs?" threads over the past few years, and I was impressed with the results people were getting from the Microtek i800. Unfortunately, they're impossible to find in Canada these days, and I get the impression that Microtek is now out of the scanner business.

So I found a "lightly used" Microtek i800 Pro model on Ebay. It ended up costing me $200 including shipping, which is far less than it would have cost me new.

I was concerned that it would be in lousy condition (or not work at all), or that it would be damaged in transit from Texas to Toronto. But I received it this afternoon and hooked it up and did my first scan:

Click through to Photobucket, and then click on the scan to view it at full size. This is a raw scan. No contrast or colour saturation adjustment in Photoshop, no sharpening.

So you were the one. I was watching that auction, as well. For anyone trying to wade through the multiple legal scanner threads, the simple answer to all of your questions is...

Microtek i800

bummer...I have a scanner I am planning to buy next month for my Mac that should be able to fit a treasury book so I will report here when I get around to buy it (thumbs u

avoid Brother Printers

Thats a good looking scan. I might have to get one of those