• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk #181 Help

54 posts in this topic

Ive finally saved up enough pennies to buy Hulk #181. Now I just need some help selecting one. I want a high-grade non CGC comic.

My question is two-part.

Where should I buy it from?

- I want to be able to see it, so anything online is out.

How much should I be looking to spend?

If you're going to spend the cash on a high grade copy, I would buy from a reputable dealer.

If you buy from a reputable dealer, you're going to pay close to the price of a slabbed copy.

If you're going to pay close to the price of a slabbed copy, you may as well just buy a slabbed copy and be done with it.

Do NOT buy a raw copy off eBay.

But I'll lay odds that you'll not listen to me and you'll take the gamble and try to score a cheap deal on eBay.

In that case, I suggest you speed up the process by putting your money in a pile, setting it on fire, and having your wife/girlfriend/mother kick you in the nuts.

You get the same effect and you get results a lot faster.

There you have it. Buying a high grade Hulk 181 tutorial. :acclaim:

If anything online is out, because you want to inspect it in person, then that pretty much limits your options of "where" to buy it. You can check for local comic book shops in your area, to see if they have one. You can also check Craigslist or local papers, to see if someone is trying to sell one, where you can go and take a look at it before buying. Other than that, check to see if any comic shows/conventions will be coming up, near enough for you to travel to them.

As far as "how much to spend", the 2010-2011 Overstreet lists Incredible Hulk 181 at 8.0 for $700, 9.0 for $1,175, and 9.2 for $1,650. That will give you a "starting point" for what prices you "might" be looking at paying. Of course, one-on-one deals depend a lot on how much the seller is willing to accept, to part with their comic, and how much the buyer is willing to spend for the comic.

If anything online is out, because you want to inspect it in person, then that pretty much limits your options of "where" to buy it. You can check for local comic book shops in your area, to see if they have one. You can also check Craigslist or local papers, to see if someone is trying to sell one, where you can go and take a look at it before buying. Other than that, check to see if any comic shows/conventions will be coming up, near enough for you to travel to them.

As far as "how much to spend", the 2010-2011 Overstreet lists Incredible Hulk 181 at 8.0 for $700, 9.0 for $1,175, and 9.2 for $1,650. That will give you a "starting point" for what prices you "might" be looking at paying. Of course, one-on-one deals depend a lot on how much the seller is willing to accept, to part with their comic, and how much the buyer is willing to spend for the comic.

You seriously wasted one of your 13 posts in the past 7 years on this? :makepoint:

If you're going to spend the cash on a high grade copy, I would buy from a reputable dealer.

If you buy from a reputable dealer, you're going to pay close to the price of a slabbed copy.

If you're going to pay close to the price of a slabbed copy, you may as well just buy a slabbed copy and be done with it.

But I'll lay odds that you'll not listen to me and you'll take the gamble and try to score a cheap deal on eBay.

In that case, I suggest you speed up the process by putting your money in a pile, setting it on fire, and having your wife/girlfriend/mother kick you in the nuts.

I agree with this, especially since you'll likely do it through mail order.

I recommend that you contact Bob Storms www.highgradecomics.com

or Joe Verenault (and PM me and I'll send you his contact information).

I agree with this, especially since you'll likely do it through mail order.

I recommend that you contact Bob Storms www.highgradecomics.com

or Joe Verenault (and PM me and I'll send you his contact information).

+1 :applause:

hm I would have thought instead of a kick to the nuts by a significant other, you would more be looking at your package being run through a laundry mangler by a helper monkey (most likely dressed as a butler) :juggle:

ahh... tomato ... tomahto

lol

You seriously wasted one of your 13 posts in the past 7 years on this? :makepoint:

meh! At least it helped to get my post count up! One step at a time! :sumo:

It says in my original post that online is out.

Then wait for a convention or a local show and be sure you check for the value stamp.

Whatever the asking price is, offer half.

Even so, buying from a local show from Joe Schmo, you're safer buying one from Bob Storms online. A lot safer.