• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk #181 Help

54 posts in this topic

Value Stamp? Whats that?

Where is Bob Storms located?

New York.

The value stamp was a promotional program in the mid 1970s that Marvel ran where you could clip and collect all the "value stamps" and people did so (well some did). If the stamp is clipped the book is incomplete and therefore worth much less.

Value Stamp? Whats that?

The Marvel Value Stamp from Incredible Hulk 181 looks like this.

MVS.jpg

Of course, if you are checking out any book in person, be sure to check all of the pages, to be sure they are there and to be sure there are no drawings, cut-out areas, etc.

If the dealer doesn't want you handling the comic, but they are willing to open it and show you the inside of the comic, then at least ask to see the Marvel Value Stamp.

Value Stamp? Whats that?

If you don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is, you have no business buying a raw Hulk 181. I am not being a . But, even though it is cool that you want one, you clearly have not been involved in buying Bronze books. Please listen to what the folks on here are telling you and think about buying a slabbed book, or buying from one of the rock solid dealers that have already been named, or another dealer with a solid reputation.

Ive finally saved up enough pennies to buy Hulk #181. Now I just need some help selecting one. I want a high-grade non CGC comic.

My question is two-part.

Where should I buy it from?

- I want to be able to see it, so anything online is out.

How much should I be looking to spend?

Did you give up collecting Rudolph Valentino comics?

Man, you are really setting yourself behind the 8 ball.

You want a high grade, raw book, and you won't consider an online purchase.

You need a big time dealer, or a convention. In either case you are likely to pay well over market value.

Why not buy a CGC copy on eBay and crack it open if you really want to examine the book?

Just my 2c

Wow, now Im glad I asked.

You're smart to be wary of internet purchases, but the net is such an enormous resource that it's unnecessary to ignore it. You simply need to tread very, very carefully, especially as a newbie. Run the name, handle, Ebay ID, whatever, of anyone you are considering dealing with through the search engine on this board and you will find a mile-long* list of people to avoid, as well as a sadly much-shorter list of people beyond reproach.

*was tempted to say mile-high, but don't have my can-opener handy.

You need a big time dealer, or a convention. In either case you are likely to pay well over market value.

Why not buy a CGC copy on eBay and crack it open if you really want to examine the book?

Just my 2c

I just think buying it online takes a lot of the "hunt" out of it. Its too easy.

Just my 2c

I just think buying it online takes a lot of the "hunt" out of it. Its too easy.

OK, to some extent I can see that. Buying online just gives you a bigger field to hunt in. IMHO

Just my 2c

If you want something to hunt, I'll suggest you pick something besides a Hulk 181.

Just my 2c

If you want something to hunt, I'll suggest you pick something besides a Hulk 181.

It took me 10 years to find a NM/M copy of the last issue of the Bill and Ted comic series. That was a hell of a lot more fun than finding a 181.

Just my 2c

OK, to some extent I can see that. Buying online just gives you a bigger field to hunt in. IMHO

I agree, but I still love actually BEING there.

Just my 2c

It took me 10 years to find a NM/M copy of the last issue of the Bill and Ted comic series. That was a hell of a lot more fun than finding a 181.

I wouldve thought those would be in abundance.

Just my 2c

I agree, but I still love actually BEING there.

I love Being There as well...

51cYpCtu1JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just my 2c

+1

I sold my copy recently for that exact reason - current CGC census for that book lists 3,925 blue label copies. There are plenty of reasonably-priced (yet still hard-to-find) books out there that would allow you to hunt.

Value Stamp? Whats that?

If you don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is, you have no business buying a raw Hulk 181. I am not being a . But, even though it is cool that you want one, you clearly have not been involved in buying Bronze books. Please listen to what the folks on here are telling you and think about buying a slabbed book, or buying from one of the rock solid dealers that have already been named, or another dealer with a solid reputation.

"Gee Wally don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"