• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking about selling my collection

99 posts in this topic

It's something I've been mulling over for several months now. Pretty much since my wife and I lost almost our entire life savings trying to buy our "dream" home last year.

Without that money in our savings, we've felt trapped and hopeless. It took us nearly 10 years to save. Mostly these feelings stem from both of us working dead end jobs for the same company. Together, we do the lions share of the workload, but get treated like dirt on an almost daily basis. We are hard working, intelligent, and on time every day, which is more than I can say for 90% of the other employees including every one of the "managers." If we hadn't spent all our savings trying to achieve the American dream for the past year and a half, we would have both quit many, many months ago.

I want to acknowledge that I know things could be worse, I know there are multitudes of other people who have it much worse, I know I should be grateful to have a job at all, especially in this economy. I think about all of that all the time. I think about the people here on the boards who are struggling through various issues - all worse than my situation. These thoughts and the associated guilt are part of what has made me stay at my job this long. That, and the fact that health insurance costs would now eat up the tiny bit of savings we have left in about 3 months.

At any rate, in the face of life and the many issues associated with the day to day grind, comics are starting the lose the value they once held for me. I am starting to feel weighed down by what I own, instead of enjoying it like I once did. I have over 20 short boxes of comics sitting in a closet. Originally, I had every intention of reading everything I bought and I still enjoy the experience of sitting and reading an actual comic book. However, I have come to realize that the reality is, I will probably never read them all. I have probably only read about 1/4th of everything I have ever bought.

I have also come to realize that, because of my current situation, I am not the same person I once was. My job and the double standard that exists there have made me an angry, bitter person and that really depresses me. I have gained weight over the last 10 years, about 100 pounds, and struggle now to lose weight and live a healthier life. I used to be a health nut and played basketball 3 - 5 times a week, but now I have allowed food to be a pacifier for my anger and depression.

Because of the stress associated with our jobs, my wife's health has also been affected. She has also gained a significant amount of weight and has panic attacks all the time as well as other health issues related to weight and stress. We took a week and a half off for the holidays and she didn't have one chest pain. Then yesterday, only 9 days back from vacation, I thought I was going to have to take her to the emergency room at lunch because she couldn't breathe.

So, my thinking is, that we need to do whatever it takes to change our current situation. Selling our collections at even 1/4 of their value would give us the money I think we need to feel more free to make changes in our life, like both of us quitting our jobs and looking for new, less stressful employment.

My question is - would even 1/4 of the Overstreet value be a realistic expectation for selling my collection. About 85% of my collection are Silver and Bronze age comics that range in grade from Fine to VF/NM. The other 15% are GA and Modern comics. My Golden age comics are mostly WDC&S and other Dell titles like Tarzan. I have a few key issues, but no big keys - HOS 92, Avengers 57, and the like.

Thoughts?

Very sorry to hear about your situation and how it is affecting both your lives though I am happy to hear you both want to improve your daily lot. Life's too short to have the feelings you're describing.

As for how to divest of your books, I don't see how you wouldn't sell the majority of your books at 25% of OSPG. Take advantage of the Marketplace here. Despite some folks complaining that books aren't selling ... if priced right, there are always buyers scooping up books. Good luck :wishluck:

My thought is that selling the comics isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, whether or not it gets you a lot of cash. The first step IMO, is to talk with a mental health professional to help you and your wife formulate a plan to get out of the situation in which you find yourselves. If that plan requires that you sell the comics, great. If it doesn't, then even better.

2c

Selling our collections at even 1/4 of their value would give us the money I think we need to feel more free to make changes in our life, like both of us quitting our jobs and looking for new, less stressful employment.

Others who are more involved in the dealing part of the hobby can answer your actual question better than I could. I just wanted to say that if the sentence above is true, my advice is, go for it. Once you are in a better place physically and emotionally, you'll find your way to a better place financially, and then you can have fun putting your collection back together.

Thoughts?

As I realised during a conversation with a few boardies just last week, they are just books. They can be replaced if and whenever you feel the passion to buy them again.

Stress from any avenue of life can really change your life for the worse, I know that for a fact ten times over. If there is ever a way you can move forward and relieve that stress then you should take it, otherwise it can lead to depression which is hard to beat. It's worse that you are both in the same boat so neither of you can pick the other up.

If selling these books can improve quality of life for both of you then go for it, as I've said you can always rebuild a new collection later on when you have the desire back again.

If you do sell though, just make sure you do the legwork to get the best deal for yourself.

I hope it all works out. (thumbs u

I do not think you should sell your comics to acquire a stash of money. If you were selling to reinvest then that is another topic. But selling to enable you to quit your job and pay the bills until gainful employment elsewhere is found will only leave you with regret. I sold my collection about 13yrs ago because times were tough, I paid my bills and in the end I had nothing to show for it. I have regretted that ever since.

But if you feel you must, I think you can get 25% of OSPG for most of the collection and you should be able to get $1 each for the moderns if in good shape.

I would be more than willing to pick up any Marvel Silver Age that I need for 25%, so if you feel the need for sale please post here first.

My thought is that selling the comics isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, whether or not it gets you a lot of cash. The first step IMO, is to talk with a mental health professional to help you and your wife formulate a plan to get out of the situation in which you find yourselves. If that plan requires that you sell the comics, great. If it doesn't, then even better.

2c

Really good advice; could be one of the best advice posts I've seen on the board.

So, my thinking is, that we need to do whatever it takes to change our current situation. Selling our collections at even 1/4 of their value would give us the money I think we need to feel more free to make changes in our life, like both of us quitting our jobs and looking for new, less stressful employment.

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife are going through so much, right now. My wife and I had been through similar problems years ago, but we dug ourselves out and we have much happier lives now. It just didn't seem like it would ever happen back then. If the two of you work on it together, then things WILL get better!

I hope you meant that the both of you would look for new, less stressful employment and THEN quit your jobs. No matter how bad things are now, quitting your current jobs, then looking for new jobs will dramatically increase your problems. I know from personal experience that extreme stress and a feeling of "hopelessness" can sometimes make a person do things that they wouldn't do if they weren't under that kind of stress. Hang onto your jobs while you are looking for something else.

I am not a comic dealer, but I have been buying comics for a few decades. I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted. Like Boozad said, you want to get the best deal for yourself that you can. If you do end up selling some of your comics, then "test the waters" by offering a few at closer to guide (maybe 75%) and adjust accordingly from there. Just start with some that might sell, but that you won't mind giving up.

Good luck to you and your wife. I really hope things start getting better for the both of you soon. :)

I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted.

lol:roflmao:

Just to be clear, his collection covers everything from Modern to GA in low to high-grades, so you can assume that the higher-grade would get a larger percentage or OS and the lower-grade a lower percentage, just like any other collection.

If someone is selling VF/NM GA for only 25% of OS guide, it's time to call in the psychiatrist.

Thoughts?

As I realised during a conversation with a few boardies just last week, they are just books. They can be replaced if and whenever you feel the passion to buy them again.

Stress from any avenue of life can really change your life for the worse, I know that for a fact ten times over. If there is ever a way you can move forward and relieve that stress then you should take it, otherwise it can lead to depression which is hard to beat. It's worse that you are both in the same boat so neither of you can pick the other up.

If selling these books can improve quality of life for both of you then go for it, as I've said you can always rebuild a new collection later on when you have the desire back again.

If you do sell though, just make sure you do the legwork to get the best deal for yourself.

I hope it all works out. (thumbs u

This is my thinking as well. I don't own anything that couldn't be replaced.

I actually still love comics, I just don't feel the desire to possess them like I used to. That may change in the future, but right now I feel like I have the means to helping my wife and I change the direction of our lives just sitting in a closet, collecting dust. If I sold my collection, in spite of the fact that it wouldn't be much money, it would be enough to feel comfortable looking for other jobs without the fear of being fired if our boss found out. It would also allow us to take jobs that may not offer health insurance right away.

I should have added to my original post, that I'm truly not looking for sympathy here. I know that I am in this situation of my own doing. The truth is, when I get home at night, most of the time I do nothing to change my situation. I could have been studying something to change jobs or working on my own artwork or design work and I haven't done any of it. Ultimately, the situation I'm in is my own fault.

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife are going through so much, right now. My wife and I had been through similar problems years ago, but we dug ourselves out and we have much happier lives now. It just didn't seem like it would ever happen back then. If the two of you work on it together, then things WILL get better!

I hope you meant that the both of you would look for new, less stressful employment and THEN quit your jobs. No matter how bad things are now, quitting your current jobs, then looking for new jobs will dramatically increase your problems. I know from personal experience that extreme stress and a feeling of "hopelessness" can sometimes make a person do things that they wouldn't do if they weren't under that kind of stress. Hang onto your jobs while you are looking for something else.

I am not a comic dealer, but I have been buying comics for a few decades. I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted. Like Boozad said, you want to get the best deal for yourself that you can. If you do end up selling some of your comics, then "test the waters" by offering a few at closer to guide (maybe 75%) and adjust accordingly from there. Just start with some that might sell, but that you won't mind giving up.

Good luck to you and your wife. I really hope things start getting better for the both of you soon. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Do NOT quit your job. Instead both of you should get your resume polished up and actively work on finding new opportunities. But you HAVE to work at it. Talk to friends, get on Linkedin, search employment websites and job boards.... do everything you can and eventually one of you will find new employment. Then the other.

Also really think about how you are going to interview with potentially new employers. A negative attitude towards your current position is a huge turn off so you will really need to put on a good face and sell yourself. Stay positive and convincing in your desire to grow in your career and take on new challenges.

Recently my wife and I returned back into a regular schedule of exercise (gym and home) and watching our diet. We both don't have much weight to loose and just want to return to our "pre-children" bodies. I am loving it and it's incredible how amazing you feel after a good workout...

Regarding comics, I find my collection brings me great joy and would not want to part with it but at the end of the day they are just comics and can be replaced any time.

I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted.

lol:roflmao:

Just to be clear, his collection covers everything from Modern to GA in low to high-grades, so you can assume that the higher-grade would get a larger percentage or OS and the lower-grade a lower percentage, just like any other collection.

If someone is selling VF/NM GA for only 25% of OS guide, it's time to call in the psychiatrist.

Most of my GA books are around VG and I don't have a very large GA collection. My collection is probably typical of the average collection, the newer the book, the better the grade.

I've probably needed to call a psychiatrist for a long time, by the way.

Unless you need the cash to pay for the essentials of life, don't rashly sell the comics.

You need to address the root cause of your problems. Selling the books will only be a temporary band-aid. When it's done, you'll still be stuck in a bad spot but only without the collection you love.

You need to get out of your jobs to something more positive. As someone else suggested, a mental health professional and/or job counselor would be a good place to start and you can form a concrete action plan to move forward in your life. There are probably free resources in your community to help. If you need help with resume writing or editing, PM me.

You are in a bad spot now -- but never forget it is only temporary. With a wise action plan and help from friends, you can be in a whole new mindset a short time from now.

:foryou:

I was thinking the same thing. Do NOT quit your job. Instead both of you should get your resume polished up and actively work on finding new opportunities. But you HAVE to work at it. Talk to friends, get on Linkedin, search employment websites and job boards.... do everything you can and eventually one of you will find new employment. Then the other.

Also really think about how you are going to interview with potentially new employers. A negative attitude towards your current position is a huge turn off so you will really need to put on a good face and sell yourself. Stay positive and convincing in your desire to grow in your career and take on new challenges.

Recently my wife and I returned back into a regular schedule of exercise (gym and home) and watching our diet. We both don't have much weight to loose and just want to return to our "pre-children" bodies. I am loving it and it's incredible how amazing you feel after a good workout...

Regarding comics, I find my collection brings me great joy and would not want to part with it but at the end of the day they are just comics and can be replaced any time.

I subscribe to the South Park Underpants Gnomes philosophy of business and employment which is:

Step 1. Collect underpants

Step 2. (shrug)

Step 3. Profit!

In all seriousness, my wife and I are going to try to stay until we can find other employment. But, to be honest, I don't want to spend another day here. It is exactly like the movie Office Space where Peter tells the psychiatrist that every day is worse than the day before. I know it would be irresponsible to leave without having another job to go to. I have to tell myself that every day. Maybe I can pretend I'm fishing or something.

I really can't provide much of an opinion about the books but, I do strongly sugest that you both find new jobs before quitting your current ones. Once you do, rub it it your current employers face good. I wish you and your wife luck in getting rid of the stress. Once this happens, i'm sure the weight will come off much easier. :foryou:

2c

+1 on that.

But two other things I can heartily endorse with no irony that might be easier to do first: try meditating at the end of the day by just sitting cross-legged on the floor with your eyes closed in a dim or dark area and listen to relaxing music with no lyrics. Try not to think about anything other than your breath coming in and going out. If your mind wanders bring it back to focusing on your breath. Do this for 10-15 minutes every night and I guarantee you'll begin to gain clarity on your situation and be far more "in-the-moment" than you are now. A cynic would dismiss this but try it for a week to see for yourself if it helps. I bet it does.

Also, pick up a copy of Anthony Robbins' Awaken the Giant Within and read it. I take 99.9% of self-help books and Dr. Phil-style proselytizing to be utter garbage, but Robbins is the real deal and this book is nothing short of utterly brilliant. It really will give you the inspiration, confidence, and motivation to change your situation for the better.

2c

I'll second this. I think it's great advice.

And for some light at the end of the tunnel, I hit bottom almost two years ago while going through a divorce. Everything looked hopeless. Now, I have a girlfriend who is ten times better than the ex-wife and I'm not paying out most of my income for the huge expensive house I didn't really like that the ex loved. That means more money for funny books and booze. And to spend on the great GF and her kid. If you had told me two years ago things today would be as great as they are, I would have thought you were crazy.