• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking about selling my collection

99 posts in this topic

I really can't provide much of an opinion about the books but, I do strongly sugest that you both find new jobs before quitting your current ones. Once you do, rub it it your current employers face good. I wish you and your wife luck in getting rid of the stress. Once this happens, i'm sure the weight will come off much easier. :foryou:

Coming from one of the people I was alluding to in my first post when I mentioned folks on the boards I knew who were facing much worse situations. (worship)

I truly do not feel worthy. My wife and I still have you in our thoughts.

As far as the rubbing it in their face thing, I'll probably end up getting a job a KFC or something. Not that there is any shame in working at KFC, but it won't have the same effect when I tell my current boss, "Yeah, you know how I used to do design work here for national museums? Well, now I mash potatoes down at the KFC on 291 highway. So... in your face!!"

I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted.

lol:roflmao:

Just to be clear, his collection covers everything from Modern to GA in low to high-grades, so you can assume that the higher-grade would get a larger percentage or OS and the lower-grade a lower percentage, just like any other collection.

If someone is selling VF/NM GA for only 25% of OS guide, it's time to call in the psychiatrist.

After over eight years here, I've put my first person on ignore.

I don't know what kind of work you are in, nor do I know what you would like to do.

However, I would absolutely sell the books if it was financing a plan. Meaning, you weren't selling the books to just sit at home. I absolutely encourage you to sell though. Frankly, they're just comics and you can buy them back. Unless you own Action 1 or Tec 27 that you bought off the news stand, it's ALL replaceable or most of it is.

Life's too short to not be enjoying it. You can love comics and come back to the hobby. If you and your wife aren't happy, sell the books utilize the cash for something that will make you both happier.

Yes. I would step back and take a good look at what the core issues are regarding your unhappiness. This may be something you cannot see for yourself and you may need an objective opinion.

Good luck! :wishluck:

To the OP, What do you and your wife do for a living?

Graphic design. My wife has an English degree and also does all the copywriting here. Her writing impressed one museum so much that they asked her to be a ghost writer for a coffee table book they were planning to publish. However, being a non-profit organization they have not been able to put the funds together for the project.

I also do web design. I'm using Joomla! CMS right now to build a new site for my employer.

I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted.

Just to be clear, his collection covers everything from Modern to GA in low to high-grades, so you can assume that the higher-grade would get a larger percentage or OS and the lower-grade a lower percentage, just like any other collection.

If someone is selling VF/NM GA for only 25% of OS guide, it's time to call in the psychiatrist.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a particularly loathsome thing to say here.

I would not recommend selling your collection to cover non-secured debt. A mistake I made in the past was to sell one of my own collections to cover items that needed to be paid, but that money soon dried up, the collection was gone and new bills just came in to put me back where I was before the whole process of selling started. In the end, I had the same debt just without my collectibles.

Food, medical, medical insurance, a roof over your head are valid reasons. Other than the essentials try to wait it out.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a particularly loathsome thing to say here.

My comment? I was trying to shoo the vultures away from his collection. :censored:

As others have said, if the funds from selling your collection enable you to implement a plan to get out of your situation, I say go for it. From your description, it doesn't sound like you would have difficulty in replacing those books once your situation improves.

The other thing I'll add is that, based on this thread, it appears your collection has become something you fret over instead of enjoy.

"Should I sell it to help us out, or should I keep it?" hm

"They're just sitting in the closet!" :makepoint:

"But I love my books!" :cloud9:

"But I need the $." (shrug)

Might be a good idea to lose the albatross and have one less thing to worry about worrying about.

Anyhoo, good luck moving forward! (thumbs u

Most of my GA books are around VG and I don't have a very large GA collection. My collection is probably typical of the average collection, the newer the book, the better the grade.

I've probably needed to call a psychiatrist for a long time, by the way.

Obviously not what I meant, but some people see a distressed person and may try to take advantage. Anyone offering 25% of OS for VF/NM GA would definitely qualify in my book.

I don't know what kind of work you are in, nor do I know what you would like to do.

However, I would absolutely sell the books if it was financing a plan. Meaning, you weren't selling the books to just sit at home. I absolutely encourage you to sell though. Frankly, they're just comics and you can buy them back. Unless you own Action 1 or Tec 27 that you bought off the news stand, it's ALL replaceable or most of it is.

Life's too short to not be enjoying it. You can love comics and come back to the hobby. If you and your wife aren't happy, sell the books utilize the cash for something that will make you both happier.

This is exactly what I'm thinking and the money would be used to work towards a specific goal, not just to sit around until it's all gone.

I agree that you should talk a professional, it sounds like you are depressed....and perhaps a professional can get you focused on a more positive track...It will also make you more attractive to another employer if you are more upbeat.

A bit of advice, if you quit and then look for a job, your prospective employer is going to look at the reason that you left your last job and will probably count that as a negative. The longer you are out of work, the harder it will be.

You might consider having one of you go to a headhunter and start looking seriously for work...not both of you at once, that way you will have health insurance during the interim.

You can always sell your comics, but that's obviously not what is bothering you...besides, it's nice to have you around ! :foryou:

As others have said, if the funds from selling your collection enable you to implement a plan to get out of your situation, I say go for it. From your description, it doesn't sound like you would have difficulty in replacing those books once your situation improves.

The other thing I'll add is that, based on this thread, it appears your collection has become something you fret over instead of enjoy.

"Should I sell it to help us out, or should I keep it?" hm

"They're just sitting in the closet!" :makepoint:

"But I love my books!" :cloud9:

"But I need the $." (shrug)

Might be a good idea to lose the albatross and have one less thing to worry about worrying about.

Anyhoo, good luck moving forward! (thumbs u

Yep, that's exactly what I do.

Then my wife and my son tell me I can't sell my comics and that they won't let me sell them. But I do feel like, provided we have a solid plan of action, it would be the right thing to do in this situation.

There is quite a bit of work out there for skilled web designers. Start looking for freelance projects, if you haven't already (assuming you have time for additional work).

• it's extra income, obviously

• it may lead to a staff position; I'm in your field and I know many shops like to test-drive their designers before buying. Perhaps you'll make such a great impression that they create a position for you.

• as skypinkblu has pointed out, a gap in employment history doesn't always look great on the resume. A long layoff can be accounted for as testing the waters of self-employment, and this way you'll have the work to show for it.

Most of my GA books are around VG and I don't have a very large GA collection. My collection is probably typical of the average collection, the newer the book, the better the grade.

Obviously not what I meant, but some people see a distressed person and may try to take advantage. Anyone offering 25% of OS for VF/NM GA would definitely qualify in my book.

That's exactly how I took your statement. I didn't take it to be a mean or rude comment.

Any VF/NM GA books I have, I will not sell for less that 26% of OS value. :grin:

My comment? I was trying to shoo the vultures away from his collection. :censored:

I hope you weren't suspecting ME of being a "vulture". I can see how someone reading that one small line might get that idea, but that was part of a larger statement, which was intended to tell the OP that he would be under-selling himself and that he should actually start considerably higher with his asking prices. For anyone who may not have seen my original post, this was the paragraph from where that one line one taken (so that you can actually see the full context of my statement).

I am not a comic dealer, but I have been buying comics for a few decades. I can say from a buyer's perspective that VF/NM SA and GA comics at 25% of guide would be something that I would be happy to find, if they were issues that I wanted. Like Boozad said, you want to get the best deal for yourself that you can. If you do end up selling some of your comics, then "test the waters" by offering a few at closer to guide (maybe 75%) and adjust accordingly from there. Just start with some that might sell, but that you won't mind giving up.

Perhaps I worded it rather poorly, but I was trying to answer his original question, which was...

My question is - would even 1/4 of the Overstreet value be a realistic expectation for selling my collection.

To ericholland - Sorry to "derail" your thread, but I have not been posting on here for very long and I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me, based on a small statement quoted out of context. Once again, good luck to you and your wife! :wishluck:

I agree that you should talk a professional, it sounds like you are depressed....and perhaps a professional can get you focused on a more positive track...It will also make you more attractive to another employer if you are more upbeat.

A bit of advice, if you quit and then look for a job, your prospective employer is going to look at the reason that you left your last job and will probably count that as a negative. The longer you are out of work, the harder it will be.

You might consider having one of you go to a headhunter and start looking seriously for work...not both of you at once, that way you will have health insurance during the interim.

You can always sell your comics, but that's obviously not what is bothering you...besides, it's nice to have you around ! :foryou:

Thanks for the kind words Sharon.

I actually wasn't thinking about leaving the boards too. I still love comics and talking about comics. I just don't feel the same passion for owning them that I used to. I feel like the money I could get for selling off my books might be able to help give us the boost we need to make changes toward a better future.

That's exactly how I took your statement. I didn't take it to be a mean or rude comment.

Cool, and as long as you took it as intended, the rest can go pound salt. :insane: