• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking about selling my collection

99 posts in this topic

I feel your pain. I had to sell my entire collection in 2009. This was the collection I started rebuilding after 28 years away from the hobby, so it was painful as well, but was a necessity for survival.

I'm starting over again, though much slower this time.

Whatever your decision, just know that they are only books and there will always be an opportunity to get them again in the future.

If you think selling the comics will help, then do it. (thumbs u

They are obviously important to you, but in the end, they are only material possessions.

If liquidating them relieves some stress and helps pay the mortgage, from personal experience, it is most likely the right decision.

If you think that you're going to get a small amount of money for all of them, and that will help a bit but not a lot, you may consider holding onto them. Sell them as you need the money.

Andy 2c

After reading Alec`s explanation, I think it`s clear that most people here were reading too much into his problems. He`s dissatisfied with his job, but so are many people.

Clearly, the main issue is that he and his wife had some incredibly bad luck with their attempt to buy a house, and as a result, have eaten up a big chunk of their savings. The lack of a safety net is causing them a lot of a anxiety, and meanwhile he has a big comic collection that could be monetized to help ease their anxiety.

This is not meant as a slam against Alec`s collection, but my guess is that there is nothing particularly irreplaceable in there. So if he sold it now, he could always rebuild it later, albeit maybe at a higher cost, once he gets his financial house in order. So it just amazes me that people here are urging him to keep his collection at all costs, even after reading his more detailed explanation.

Alec, sell whatever comics you need to rebuild your cash safety net to restore your sense of financial security. But, do not use those proceeds for anything other than cash savings that would only be used in event of extreme emergency. Your "windfall" from selling your comics should not be used to "improve" your life, only to fix a fundamental defect in your financial foundation.

If you want to build up enough cash to go buy another house, or start your own business, etc., the sad reality is that you and your wife will just have to suck it up in your current jobs and in your current apartment until you`ve managed to build up enough of a savings pool from your salaries to do so. If this were 1999 or 2006, then you could risk losing your jobs because you could probably find a new one quickly enough, but it`s not and in this environment there`s no guarantee that you`d find a new job quickly, which means you`d start eating again into the savings that you just rebuilt from selling your collection.

And I echo the sentiments that you should make sure you exercise. I don`t think lack of exercise is at the heart of your problems here, but it definitely won`t hurt!

I've read this entire thread.

I'm very sorry to hear about your circumstances. It's a tough spot you & she are in.

Kudos to the Boards for all the positive advice.

Here is my small contribution:

If you do decide to sell, don't sell to any person who has either posted in this thread or PM'd you seeking to buy after having read this thread.

Best of luck. My prayers are with you.

To insinuate that members who attempted to give advice would be preying on the op is offensive. I didn't ask around to find out who may be in a compromised situation so that I may capitalize on their difficulties.

The op stated he was in financial difficulty and wanted to know if he could get 25% of guide. That number is to low, which I clearly conveyed, as well as other members, and that if his situation dictated it to bite the bullet and sell. (shrug)

If your mind works in that direction, to extrapolate this devious plan from a few innocuous posts, then you sir should not be participating in this fine gentleman's sale. (tsk)

I on the other hand will be waiting patiently to help the op out of his financial difficulties. (thumbs u

My advice to you would be to really think about things over the course of many months and to really plan. I wouldn't jump into anything quickly don't quit your job suddenly. I think it has already been said many times but it really is easier to get another job while you are employed then if you are unemployed. When you are looking for another job, also try to remember not to talk down about your current employer. I know this may be difficult but it's always best to put on a positive front to gain a new job position. There were certain times in my life where I had jobs that I just hated but I always knew that this was just a stepping stone and the moment I got a chance, I'd be out of there. Get yourself a really great resume:)

Also, think of it this way...you do have the "nest egg", if you need it. It sounds like you don't really need it right now but want liquidity for piece of mind. I also agree with what some of the other people have said...you don't have to sell everything. I think you are feeling guilt over having this comic collection while you are struggling with your job. These are really two kind of separate issues. I think a yoga class for you and your wife might be a nice thing.

My advice to you would be to really think about things over the course of many months and to really plan. I wouldn't jump into anything quickly don't quit your job suddenly. I think it has already been said many times but it really is easier to get another job while you are employed then if you are unemployed. When you are looking for another job, also try to remember not to talk down about your current employer. I know this may be difficult but it's always best to put on a positive front to gain a new job position. There were certain times in my life where I had jobs that I just hated but I always knew that this was just a stepping stone and the moment I got a chance, I'd be out of there. Get yourself a really great resume:)

Also, think of it this way...you do have the "nest egg", if you need it. It sounds like you don't really need it right now but want liquidity for piece of mind. I also agree with what some of the other people have said...you don't have to sell everything. I think you are feeling guilt over having this comic collection while you are struggling with your job. These are really two kind of separate issues. I think a yoga class for you and your wife might be a nice thing.

I really like your avatar. (thumbs u

I'm reading Buddha by Osamu Tezuka right now. He is one of my all-time favorites.

It's funny you should mention yoga because my wife just bookmarked a bunch of yoga videos that were recommended to her by a friend who teaches yoga. I think we are going to give it a try.

To all my fellow boardies:

My wife wanted me to make sure I told everyone who has posted in my thread and sent messages to me via pm, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. (worship)

Your kind words and advice are invaluable to us both.

Thank you so much.

After reading Alec`s explanation, I think it`s clear that most people here were reading too much into his problems. He`s dissatisfied with his job, but so are many people.

Clearly, the main issue is that he and his wife had some incredibly bad luck with their attempt to buy a house, and as a result, have eaten up a big chunk of their savings. The lack of a safety net is causing them a lot of a anxiety, and meanwhile he has a big comic collection that could be monetized to help ease their anxiety.

This is not meant as a slam against Alec`s collection, but my guess is that there is nothing particularly irreplaceable in there. So if he sold it now, he could always rebuild it later, albeit maybe at a higher cost, once he gets his financial house in order. So it just amazes me that people here are urging him to keep his collection at all costs, even after reading his more detailed explanation.

Alec, sell whatever comics you need to rebuild your cash safety net to restore your sense of financial security. But, do not use those proceeds for anything other than cash savings that would only be used in event of extreme emergency. Your "windfall" from selling your comics should not be used to "improve" your life, only to fix a fundamental defect in your financial foundation.

If you want to build up enough cash to go buy another house, or start your own business, etc., the sad reality is that you and your wife will just have to suck it up in your current jobs and in your current apartment until you`ve managed to build up enough of a savings pool from your salaries to do so. If this were 1999 or 2006, then you could risk losing your jobs because you could probably find a new one quickly enough, but it`s not and in this environment there`s no guarantee that you`d find a new job quickly, which means you`d start eating again into the savings that you just rebuilt from selling your collection.

And I echo the sentiments that you should make sure you exercise. I don`t think lack of exercise is at the heart of your problems here, but it definitely won`t hurt!

You summed it up nicely Tim and I completely agree with everything you said. We are going to be rational about our situation and as you said "suck it up in our current jobs", at least for the time being, but it goes against every fiber of my being to do so.

However, I also know that ultimately it is my own fault that I am in the situation I find myself and only I can change it.

One of the worst things I've had to endure at my job is sitting and listening to our boss put down my wife in front of me, knowing that I can't say anything back to him. He called her into his office once and told her that he questioned her loyalty to the company. When he realized just how much that statement upset her, he repeated it until she broke down crying. When she walked back into our office crying and I found out why, she had to stop me from going and beating the living :censored: out of him.

We once worked from Thursday morning (8 a.m.) straight through to Saturday evening (8 p.m.) to get ready for a trade show that the owner wanted to go to at the last minute. We designed the entire trade show booth and all the advertising materials, we created an entirely new product line along with product samples, order forms, and business cards, we printed everything ourselves, we boxed and packed everything by ourselves, we drove everything to the show ourselves, and then when we got there, set up and worked the trade show by ourselves.

I can't tell you how many family events and our son's football games when he was in high school that we missed because of work. Neither us of know of any other way to work than 100+ percent. And our reward for this type of dedication is to have some azzclown who couldn't design his way out of a paper bag and only works on his own personal projects all day, when he even bothers to come in to work, question either my wife or my loyalty.

We have complained to our other boss and even had several meetings with the owner, but this guy must have something on them, because they are unwilling to do anything about the situation.

However, I also know that ultimately it is my own fault that I am in the situation I find myself and only I can change it.

You`re being way too hard on yourself. You guys did a perfectly sensible thing in looking to buy a house to take advantage of the govt`s tax break after the housing crash. It was just bad luck and some unethical sellers that left you with no house and less savings. I think you`re absolutely doing the right thing in looking for a way to re-fill the financial hole left by this situation. You`ve got to have financial stability, and a closet full of comics, no matter how valuable, is not what I would ever consider to be financial stability.

One of the worst things I've had to endure at my job is sitting and listening to our boss put down my wife in front of me, knowing that I can't say anything back to him. He called her into his office once and told her that he questioned her loyalty to the company. When he realized just how much that statement upset her, he repeated it until she broke down crying. When she walked back into our office crying and I found out why, she had to stop me from going and beating the living :censored: out of him.

We once worked from Thursday morning (8 a.m.) straight through to Saturday evening (8 p.m.) to get ready for a trade show that the owner wanted to go to at the last minute. We designed the entire trade show booth and all the advertising materials, we created an entirely new product line along with product samples, order forms, and business cards, we printed everything ourselves, we boxed and packed everything by ourselves, we drove everything to the show ourselves, and then when we got there, set up and worked the trade show by ourselves.

I can't tell you how many family events and our son's football games when he was in high school that we missed because of work. Neither us of know of any other way to work than 100+ percent. And our reward for this type of dedication is to have some azzclown who couldn't design his way out of a paper bag and only works on his own personal projects all day, when he even bothers to come in to work, question either my wife or my loyalty.

We have complained to our other boss and even had several meetings with the owner, but this guy must have something on them, because they are unwilling to do anything about the situation.

Sorry to hear how bad it is at work. Sounds like your boss thinks the boss from "The Office" is supposed to be a role model rather than an object of ridicule. Unfortunately, at the moment you`re not in a situation financially where you can just say "Life`s too short" and tell him to shove it. Be patient and rebuild your finances, and incentivize yourself to endure this period with the thought that sometime relatively soon you WILL be able to tell him to shove it. Of course, if possible you and your wife should simultaneously be looking for new jobs as covertly as possible.

It's one thing for someone to sit back and wait for everything to be handed to them because they feel they desrve or are entitled to it, it's a totally different and frustrating situation to watch and hear about something like this when you are more than willing and have put time and effort into achieving the goals you have set for yourselves.

Here's hoping you & your wife can get through these frustrating times and be able to move forward seeing positive results from the efforts you guys are putting in. :wishluck::foryou:

You summed it up nicely Tim and I completely agree with everything you said. We are going to be rational about our situation and as you said "suck it up in our current jobs", at least for the time being, but it goes against every fiber of my being to do so.

Sounds like the you know this business as well as him, have you ever considered to set up your own business(I don`t know the money specifics)? maybe you can become his competion and give him a run for his money. Just thoughts and wish you the best. :wishluck:

There has been a lot of good advice given so far about the issues you are facing and the decision you are trying to make, which is hard when you are the person making the decision.

I am sorry to hear of all the issues you had trying to find your "dream home" and the continued struggle you and your wife face at "The Office" each day. I agree with others who have talked about you seeking some counseling, improving your health, and doing whatever (selling your collection) you need to in order to be in a better finacial state. It also seems from what you have posted that the "nest egg" is necessary in order to safeguard you and your wife in case you get fired in the process of looking for a new job...

Do whatever you need to do to get into a happier situation because the house, the money, the comic books... NONE of this will matter if you are not happy. Life is too wonderful to spend it hating your job and being miserable. ALL the best of luck to you and your wife in obtaining your HAPPY new life!

As was said earlier a lot of good advice in this thread.

Several things I would add is check into a open gym for basketball.I play once or twice a week.Cost is three dollars per night.A lot of exercise and bonding for that price.If that isnt aviable check the YMCA.

Unless you have to sell your collection keep it as a savings account.My guess it will increase in value more than the one percent the money from its sale would draw.

Whichever way you go I hope it works out.

Dennis

Erich,

I have read this thread and I don't think I have anything new to add. I like what Tim (tth2) and Jvr11 posted.

I would reiterate that I don't think selling the collection is an answer without a plan. Even then, you may not have to sell your entire collection to get the "cushion"" your looking for. While several people have said you could easily replace your collection, selling at less than guide and buying back at guide isn't a lot of fun.

Also, don't underestimate the joy you get from comics, I know from personal transactions with you that you love your collection, you would miss it if it was all gone.

Make a plan, and work it one step at a time. You have a lot of folks here wishing you well, I know I do.

Your brother in Superboy collecting,

Danny

From what you've told us I don't see how this is your fault. I remember your house

thread and you did everything you could to find a nice house. Unfortunately, you ran into a dishonest builder and you were lucky to cut your loses and run.

You need to get out of that job, it isn't healthy for you or your wife. It is also

dangerous for a couple to work at the same place. If something happens to the company all your eggs are in the same basket.

Don't quit immediately and compound your problems. Come up with an escape plan and execute it when the time is right; much like Hogan's Heros.

Complaints about one boss to another are likely passed on to the bad boss resulting in him questioning your loyalty.

This is a long shot, but if you live near NY, the place I am at could use a good web designer.

In general, design jobs in New York don't seem hard to get, from as much as I can tell.

Besides everything else said here, a good portfolio will get you almost anywhere. I read like 80% of this thread, and I didn't see the P word anywhere.

Just my .0005 cents.

-Pete

You may find that you were lucky not to get the dream home last year as you could already be under water by more than you lost in the process. Prices still have not stabilized, its possible you could get the opportunity to buy that same home next year for 50% of last years asking price. As odd as it sounds. there are alot of people who are better off by not having been able to buy a home the past couple years. I'm underwater and stuck here because of it!

As others have said, don't sell your books unless you need the money to invest elsewhere. For financial stability you will be better off with one of you finding a new job than replacing the savings that could run out fast if the company went under and you lost both jobs.

Now, I'm not about to say your boss is a good guy, but part of the problem may be that you and your wife both work there, so you both see how the other is treated. Unfortunitly there are alot of bosses and companies that are mistreating their employees right now with how bad the economy is because they know how difficult it would be for you to replace your job and they take advantage of it. When my wife is mistreated at work, it bothers me, but I am sure it would feel 10x worse if I was there and unable to help her. In reality, even though we don't work together I couldn't beat the snot out of her boss anyway, a lost job is the least of the problems then!

I really feel that if one of you moved to a new company it would go a long way in relieving the financial worries. Just knowing that if you lost your job, or the business went under that you could get heath insurance from the other job is a huge relief!

While I don't know everything that you are going through, I can draw parrallel's. I don't get to post here as often as I like due to the enormous demand for me at work but I like to take the time and definitely address posts like this.

My wife and I have been together for (9 years total, 3 of them married), meeting in High School.

During that time, I've gone from a lean 190#'s to a flabby 275#'s (at my worse). Both of us have sufferred in health due to various life items & mainly work.

I am a "get the most bang for your buck" (bfyb) person. So I use this methodology in a lot of things, recently in my quest for a best bfyb type of workout style.

Here are my recomendations from my persistent studying on how to get myself out of the "hole"

- In terms of your health it needs to be a lifestyle change

- This includes how you order your day, what you look to eat, how you workout

- You can work out 15 mins a day at high intensity and get better results than spending 1 hour a day at moderate cardio

- Commit to each other that you want a change

- Determine what will make you guys happy and start planning it immediately

- Be real with eachother, and actually commit to it

- Being happy might be a complete paradigm shift from how your life is currently, embrace it, then do it.

- Learn how to use Kettlebells (link below on a cheesy but good book to get started). This will get your body into a natural muscular state WHILE also losing fat in the process. KB's are the BEST bang for your buck in terms of fitness. Men and Women the same can use them.

- Look into the Paleo way of eating (book linked below). I read this over the Holiday's and have already gotten compliments in only 3 weeks of practicing. Ignore the author's egotism and focus on the core concept

- Control your DINNER portions and try to eat it at minimum 4 hours before bed.

- Just remember, it's a new lifestyle don't worry about the scale or your immediate results. Keep working at it and you will be happier. Our bodies NEED a different type of eating and level of activity than we've been suppressed to for the last 40+ years.

The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging

http://www.amazon.com/New-Evolution-Diet-Paleolithic-Ancestors/dp/1605291838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296164853&sr=8-1

Enter The Kettlebell!

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Strength-Secret-Soviet-Supermen/dp/0938045695/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296165042&sr=1-1

Good luck brother.

- Aaron (bounty)