• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

January Comiclink auction

138 posts in this topic

Minor SA Marvel Key.

The #7 was tempting but the price was just way above GPA so I pulled out. I still want a nice #7. Like ToS #48, it's the first appearance of the two respective superheroes in the costume and form that's current!

daredevil1cgc85rockymou.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous Book. Congrats ! :applause:

People always say this when they see a book that presents much better than its assigned grade. I just don't get it. You are looking at a relatively small scan of just the front cover of a book, through a plastic slab. There could be all kinds of stuff going on that you can't see. Back cover could be half gone for all we know. Even the front cover could have stains that can't be seen through a slab but are evident with book in hand.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't judge grade through a slab, especially from a scan of a slab.

Of course there are defects that probably bring it down to a 8.0. But that's how we bid on these things...based on a scan of the front cover and in some cases, the back cover too.

What's a no-brainer is that books that present well (ie: No miswrap, chipping etc) with better PQ tend to fetch higher prices than one in similar grade with such less than ideal characteristics.

I don't think anyone here is silly enough to buy a nice-looking 8.0 hoping for a 9.6 upgrade. Short of pressing a book etc, that's not gonna happen. CGC will be undermined if that's the case.

Of course, if you're truly keen on buying a book, it's always a good idea to ring CGC to get the graders notes. This way, you pick up on stuff that might not be seen in the scans.

why didn't you just bid your max to see if it breaks the reserve? :gossip:

I did!

I put in $300 but since i was the only one that bid, it just went to $100 and ended. My max bid only goes past the minimum if someone else bids, otherwise, it sits at the minimum! :gossip:

If you are the lone person bidding, it will stay at the minimum until you bid high enough to crack the reserve. $300 just wasn't enough. If someone else bids and is below the reserve amount, it will record the top bid according to the next relevant bid increment and tell you the reserve hasn't been met.

Gee, thanks!

I know he isnt getting a 9.6 instead of a 8.0. I wasnt saying resub it for a sure fire 9.4-9.6. All i meant was he's getting an INSANELY nice looking 8.0. I've seen 8.0 i wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. That Batman looks nicer than any 8.0 i can remember seeing. Obviously something is wrong with it to knock it down and it sure as hell doesnt seem apparent from the scan.

Since you are usually only looking at the front cover of a slabbed book, getting a 8.0 hat looks like THAT is a major score in my book! Obviously, for some reason you disagree (shrug)

To each his own (thumbs u

I don't disagree at all. Of course eye appeal should be taken into account when buying any grade book.

But read your comment again. "How the HELL is that an 8.0". The implication there is that it isn't an 8.0 but a higher grade book. My point was that just because it looks nice from a scan of the front cover, that does not mean it isn't really an 8.0. If you looked at that book raw in hand, maybe it would look like an 8.0.

No, i know that Lord but it sure looks MUCH nicer than 8.0. Personally, i'd rather have that book any day over a "true" 8.0 that looks the part. Whatever the problem is, it isnt evident from the scan and may not even be in hand. Imo, that book was a MAJOR score.

Anywho, slow night tonight for me but did get these 2 so far

sf72.jpg

sf3.jpg

I did!

I put in $300 but since i was the only one that bid, it just went to $100 and ended. My max bid only goes past the minimum if someone else bids, otherwise, it sits at the minimum! :gossip:

If you are the lone person bidding, it will stay at the minimum until you bid high enough to crack the reserve. $300 just wasn't enough. If someone else bids and is below the reserve amount, it will record the top bid according to the next relevant bid increment and tell you the reserve hasn't been met.

I didnt realize that cheetah but if thats the case, the reserves were WAY too high on the books i missed imo. No point in putting it in these auctions if the reserve is going to be basically the highest GPA sale ever. Seems like those should be eBay BIN's but what do i know, just my opinion.

Minor SA Marvel Key.

The #7 was tempting but the price was just way above GPA so I pulled out. I still want a nice #7. Like ToS #48, it's the first appearance of the two respective superheroes in the costume and form that's current!

Great score! :applause: Seeing it as a RM, is very cool.

The best thing about the buying from a scan an 8.0 that looks like a 9.0 is that it will be sold the same way, from a scan that doesn't show all the defects. So to me its like fresh paint on a house your selling. If it looks good it will bring a premium.

I did!

I didnt realize that cheetah but if thats the case, the reserves were WAY too high on the books i missed imo. No point in putting it in these auctions if the reserve is going to be basically the highest GPA sale ever. Seems like those should be eBay BIN's but what do i know, just my opinion.

They don't bother me. Bid what you will and if it isn't enough move on. If you really want to know, call Doug and ask. I'm sure he will tell you what the reserve is and then make you mind up to bid or not bid.

Minor SA Marvel Key.

Congrats, I was the underbidder, glad it went to a good home.

Minor SA Marvel Key.

Doesn't Karen look lovely with that fabulous hairdo.

Minor SA Marvel Key.

Absolutely gorgeous Book. Congrats ! :applause:

Ditto Shawn, beautiful 1st issue.

Minor SA Marvel Key.

Thanks. Sorry about that. But the underbid still pushed the price up some! I think the price shot up $500 or so in the last minute.

I had to up my bid by $100 in the dying seconds to secure it. Such is the nature of auctions...

Minor SA Marvel Key.

Thanks. Sorry about that. But the underbid still pushed the price up some! I think the price shot up $500 or so in the last minute.

I had to up my bid by $100 in the dying seconds to secure it. Such is the nature of auctions...

Hey, don't apologise, you won it fair and square, plenty of books out there and I have already found my next target in the heritage auction.

One thing I have learnt is that there are always other books out there.

I did!

They don't bother me. Bid what you will and if it isn't enough move on. If you really want to know, call Doug and ask. I'm sure he will tell you what the reserve is and then make you mind up to bid or not bid.

Really? I can call before the auction ends and he'll tell me what the reserve is?

If thats the case, i'll definitely do that in the future!

I did!

Really? I can call before the auction ends and he'll tell me what the reserve is?

If thats the case, i'll definitely do that in the future!

Or you could call him now and see if the consignor (or if it's him) will just sell you the books outright now. Who knows, you could have been like $50 off.