• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice please: sell 9.8's and collect 9.6's?

211 posts in this topic

I am looking for advice on an issue of concern I have been having. I have many 9.8 Neal Adams books in my collection and I am getting to the point that I wonder why I need 9.8's.

I can get and collect very nice 9.6's at a fraction of the cost and have money to spend on other comics or various household items. It comes down to the value held in a 9.8 does not justify my holding them at this point in my life.

Any comments, opinions or various thoughts on the this point will be taken into account.

Thanks.

I only have one 9.8 for that exact reason. I just want a nice looking book, I don't feel the need to be on the top of the grading heap and the price difference is crazy. Give me 9.6 rejects all day long. Let others with deep pockets chase 9.8s I say.

9.8 are probably better INVESTMENTS, but I'd go the 9.6 route if you're more interested in having a nice collection of books with a limited (read: realistic) budget for funny books.

I for one cannot even tell the difference between 9.6 and 9.8. Yes I admit! :sumo: I'm a grown man who isn't afraid to admit it. :D

This seems to make perfect sense to me, especially in times like these. I would do it sooner rather than later because if a significant number of 9.8 collectors reach the same conclusion at the same time prices realized in selling them could be lower than what was paid.

9.8 are probably better INVESTMENTS, but I'd go the 9.6 route if you're more interested in having a nice collection of books

This is exactly my response - in the future there will be fewer and fewer collectors, but potentially more money chasing the very top graded books, kind of like in sportscards today.

Why stop at 9.6s? 9.4s and 9.2s can often be nearly as nice, but still even less expensive.

+1 There's some very nice 9.2 - 9.6 books that have great eye appeal and look good in a collection. This leave more $$ to collect more.

It depends on what you are collecting.

For early Bronze and prior, 9.6 would still be a very desirable book and likely to have resale value down the road.

For late Bronze, Copper, Chromium and Modern, 9.6 may be a virtually flawless book, but 9.6 or below may not have much resale value long term. If you are okay with that, go for the 9.6 (thumbs u

Common sense says you are pointed in the right direction.

But it begs the question as to why you would collect slabbed books at all, with that kind of reasoning? Nice raw books that you could actually open and look at the interiors would make more sense, if you are not investing in them.

I am on the other side of this, in that I invest and rarely read. I could care less who did what art or story, other that that some are more likely to rise in value, than others. So my prospective is coming from a different direction.

But with the attitude that a nice looking book is all you desire and "lesser" of those would free up money for other things. Then why get slabbed books at all?

Just wondering the rationale for buying slabbed books at all, if not investing.

9.8 are probably better INVESTMENTS, but I'd go the 9.6 route if you're more interested in having a nice collection of books

This is exactly my response - in the future there will be fewer and fewer collectors, but potentially more money chasing the very top graded books, kind of like in sportscards today.

Quoted to snapshot Vince saying the insane prices in the 9.8 market may actually be a wise investment.

I don't believe what the hell I'm witnessing. :o

And modern?

There is no "modern" as it is a placeholder until the era is named.

I say it's named "Chromium" as it nails the whole genre with a single word.

Thank you. I understand I think. So a book that came out last week is a modern and a Chromium, at the same time?

There is no modern, only Zuul. :makepoint: