• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread FINALLY Closed!

54 posts in this topic

Heres a link to the auction I won, so you can see its the same book

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230564099639

You got the "Certificate" with the auction as well i asume?

Send the book,in its PLOD slab,the original Blue Label,and the "Rockford Cert" back to CGC after contacting them and insisting that Haspel take a look at the situation.

The Cert clearly says that the book was from the "Rockford Collection" and is GUARANTEED to be in it's ORIGINAL UNRESTORED STATE.

Which CGC verified,or missed in this instance.

I wonder if any of the other original Rockfords have been cracked,resubbed and came back PLOD now as well?

Send the book,in its PLOD slab,the original Blue Label,and the "Rockford Cert" back to CGC after contacting them and insisting that Haspel take a look at the situation.

The Cert clearly says that the book was from the "Rockford Collection" and is GUARANTEED to be in it's ORIGINAL UNRESTORED STATE.

I wonder if any of the other original Rockfords have been cracked,resubbed and came back PLOD now as well?

What the pedigree certificate says is utterly irrelevant. I own a couple of restored pedigrees - I'm sure their certificate guarantees them to be unrestored as well (which, at some point, they were - but not when they came into my possession).

It seems pretty likely that CGC missed the resto the first time around, so what exactly do you want them to do? Ignore the re-attached piece and give the book a blue label? If you want to play the crack-resub game, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose - that's just how it is.

What the pedigree certificate says is utterly irrelevant. I own a couple of restored pedigrees - I'm sure their certificate guarantees them to be unrestored as well (which, at some point, they were - but not when they came into my possession).

It seems pretty likely that CGC missed the resto the first time around, so what exactly do you want them to do? Ignore the re-attached piece and give the book a blue label? If you want to play the crack-resub game, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose - that's just how it is.

Great post! (thumbs u

Wether he cracked it to play the "resub game" or not seems irrelevant imo. He paid $850 for a book that CGC certified as unrestored which actually was restored. They made a mistake and because of it, he paid at least $3-400 more than he should have.

Seems to me, the LEAST they could do is credit him that amount in free submissions since their mistake cost him a pretty good chunk of change rantrant

Wether he cracked it to play the "resub game" or not seems irrelevant imo. He paid $850 for a book that CGC certified as unrestored which actually was restored. They made a mistake and because of it, he paid at least $3-400 more than he should have.

Seems to me, the LEAST they could do is credit him that amount in free submissions since their mistake cost him a pretty good chunk of change rantrant

We dont know the whole story. If the book was sent in out of the case, such is life. If it was still in its slab and came back PLOD, thats a problem.

It's worth a phone call to Mark, if the owner is motivated to do so. But it sounds like he just wants to sell the book and be done with it.

The last time I talked to him was about an early FF that was a 9.0 Old Label that came back an 8.0. I called and repeatedly complained about the difference, they bumbed it to an 8.5. I sold it, and within a week or so it resurfaced as a 9.0. So a phone call wont do ME any good.

Of course CGC could always say that you did the restoration after you cracked it out of the case.

I'm in no way implying that you did... just that they could say that.

And by them saying that, it wouldn't be anything personal against the OP. It would just mean that they have no way of knowing.

I play the re-sub game, and Ive taken my share of lumps. I didnt mean for this post to start anything, thats why I originally posted this in the Restoration thread. I put it here to actually try and sell it :wishluck:

I didnt mean for this post to start anything, thats why I originally posted this in the Restoration thread.

You should have put it Comics General, it would have been 60 pages long by now.

Not at all.That was not my point,and nowhere do i say that,at all.

My point was that the book was a Blue Label,and obviously something was missed.Supplying CGC with the book,old label,new slab and the CERT,may help CGC come to some conclusion as what exactly happened.

My other point,was/is that if CGC has had any other Rockford's come in for a re-sub,even still SLABBED,and they caught resto the second time around,maybe they are aware that there is a problem with these old label Peds,before their resto skills were up to today's standards.

I also fully understand the gamble with crack and re-sub,and definitely don't encourage the cracking of Peds and loss of Ped designation.

Rather,just the opposite,i've been searching for raw unslabbed "missing" Peds to get designated.

Not at all.That was not my point,and nowhere do i say that,at all.

My point was that the book was a Blue Label,and obviously something was missed.Supplying CGC with the book,old label,new slab and the CERT,may help CGC come to some conclusion as what exactly happened.

My other point,was/is that if CGC has had any other Rockford's come in for a re-sub,even still SLABBED,and they caught resto the second time around,maybe they are aware that there is a problem with these old label Peds,before their resto skills were up to today's standards.

I also fully understand the gamble with crack and re-sub,and definitely don't encourage the cracking of Peds and loss of Ped designation.

Rather,just the opposite,i've been searching for raw unslabbed "missing" Peds to get designated.

Yes, I would at least like an explanation from CGC. Shame, this is a nice book. Still a nice book. Someone should buy it, it's slowly becoming a legend.

Heres the back pic of the batman per request...

Photobucket

Whats up with that top waviness on the back cover? Is it the scan or is it real? The reason I ask is I have seen that same waviness on porrly pressed books. Also was the book sent in already cracked, if so I would say you have no case since CGC has no way of knowing what was done to the book between when they last graded it and when you sub'd it.

It's worth a phone call to Mark, if the owner is motivated to do so. But it sounds like he just wants to sell the book and be done with it.

The last time I talked to him was about an early FF that was a 9.0 Old Label that came back an 8.0. I called and repeatedly complained about the difference, they bumbed it to an 8.5. I sold it, and within a week or so it resurfaced as a 9.0. So a phone call wont do ME any good.

Jeeze!

Heres the back pic of the batman per request...

Photobucket

Whats up with that top waviness on the back cover? Is it the scan or is it real? The reason I ask is I have seen that same waviness on porrly pressed books. Also was the book sent in already cracked, if so I would say you have no case since CGC has no way of knowing what was done to the book between when they last graded it and when you sub'd it.

It has a wierd wave on the spine side of the book. I dont have a pic of the back originally to compare it to. Heres a link to the only pics from the Ped slab

Sorry for keeping this thread derailment going (although it does bump your for sale thread), but are you stating that you got a change in the grade of a book by complaining over the phone? How could it "resurface" within a week or so after you sold it? Takes me months to get books back from CGC. I'm confused (as usual).

I somehow find that more "disturbing" than the Batman being changed from universal to PLOD..

Sorry for keeping this thread derailment going (although it does bump your for sale thread), but are you stating that you got a change in the grade of a book by complaining over the phone? How could it "resurface" within a week or so after you sold it? Takes me months to get books back from CGC. I'm confused (as usual).

I somehow find that more "disturbing" than the Batman being changed from universal to PLOD..

Early FF in 8.5/9.0= high(er) value/older book...express 5 day or 1 day walk thru only options for grading.