• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The paper trail..

232 posts in this topic

I give up Roy. I just dont feel up to debating with you. So I will go ahead and say what kind of person cant read a ing label. Rockford is on it. On top of that we dont have an original picture, and I couldnt find the auction listing it came from. So I have my doubts.

Pat, one minor clue also provided in the original auction was the certificate stating the book was from the Rockford collection. Now I know a certificate can be confusing and some people may mistake it for a coupon for free fries at MacDonalds, but a more observant person may be able to put 2 and 2 together. Also the pics of the book look odd to me. I would love to see it in my hands but not enough to spend that much money on it.

Dan I guess what it all boils down to is,it is your book to do with what you will.I understand that and respect that,there's just a little piece of that pedigree that will be lost and that is also a sad thing.I really do think that we are caretakers in a sense whether it be a classic car,family heirlooms or a comic book for future generations. :foryou:

If/ when a buyer buys this book, can they then resub the book with the old label from the seller and get the Pedigree status reinstated?

Do the Rockford books have any markings/identification that would allow CGC to identify the book without the old label anyway?

Are hookers more important than comic books???

I would have to assume 1 of 2 things. The book isnt the actual Rockford, as the photos shown the label does not look to be in the slab. You would need to have a list of sellers leading back to the original sales. And most likely after everything that has happened, no.

The photo's in the listing show the Rockford label,and the Cert.

Second,and more important,DATE/ARRIVAL STAMP on the front cover.

CGC should know/have known this is the Rockford book even without the Cert submitted.This isn't rocket science.

This guy needs to either locate the Cert he lost,or get it sent to him from that Ebay seller if it wasn't sent originally...

Call CGC with the original Rockford label # and get the notes.

Is this even the REAL Rockford book that was sitting in that Blue label OLD slab?

From that selling thread, what hit me even more than the "universal to PLOD" change, was that the seller claimed that he once got a grade changed on a different book, by complaining over the phone about it. He claimed that the book had previously been a 9.0, the resubbed and given a 8.0, but upon a phone complaint, was changed to a 8.5. Then he sold it and this same book "showed up" on the market in a "week or so", slabbed as a 9.0.

How do you get a grade change by complaining? How does a book sold a week or so ago, come to have a higher grade label?

Are those two things possible? I'm just asking. No disrepect or accusations intended. Maybe there are things in this hobby that I do not understand and I want to understand.

Pat, one minor clue also provided in the original auction was the certificate stating the book was from the Rockford collection. Now I know a certificate can be confusing and some people may mistake it for a coupon for free fries at MacDonalds, but a more observant person may be able to put 2 and 2 together.

I tried to get fries at McDonalds with my Crippen pedigree certificate, but they wouldn't accept it and advised me to try KFC :cry:

I give up Roy. I just dont feel up to debating with you. So I will go ahead and say what kind of person cant read a ing label. Rockford is on it. On top of that we dont have an original picture, and I couldnt find the auction listing it came from. So I have my doubts.

Pat, one minor clue also provided in the original auction was the certificate stating the book was from the Rockford collection. Now I know a certificate can be confusing and some people may mistake it for a coupon for free fries at MacDonalds, but a more observant person may be able to put 2 and 2 together. Also the pics of the book look odd to me. I would love to see it in my hands but not enough to spend that much money on it.

+1

Pat, one minor clue also provided in the original auction was the certificate stating the book was from the Rockford collection. Now I know a certificate can be confusing and some people may mistake it for a coupon for free fries at MacDonalds, but a more observant person may be able to put 2 and 2 together.

I tried to get fries at McDonalds with my Crippen pedigree certificate, but they wouldn't accept it and advised me to try KFC :cry:

:signfunny:

There is something about this book that's been annoying me from the get-go. Pedigree designation aside for a moment, if I had bought this book as a Universal copy and gave it a straight resub in the hope of a grade bump then received back a PLOD I would be livid. You buy a Universal label to guarantee you are buying a book with no restoration, and I certainly wouldn't expect CGC to be missing a piece added by an amateur restorer.

I am also fairly certain that, given the book is/was a Pedigree, CGC would only be too happy to look at this and make it right if indeed there was a problem. I would have been on the phone in a heartbeat, and I'm not sure why the OP wasn't.

I'm not casting aspersions here, but something just doesn't add up.

Since CGC will crack a slab provided you write a small note saying its ok, wouldn't the best thing to do for a re-sub would be to send it in the slab and let them crack it?

I know on my pedigree books, that designation is worth more than a half point grade bump.

Since CGC will crack a slab provided you write a small note saying its ok, wouldn't the best thing to do for a re-sub would be to send it in the slab and let them crack it?

CGC will crack books for you, and in the case of Pedigree and SS books that's the only way to go.

Some people are afraid that sending a book slabbed or noting that it is a previously graded pedigree will poison the well. That is, they think CGC will note what the previous grade was and not deviate, in an attempt to be consistent. Thus, many a pedigree has been lost to the sands of time in the crack and resub game. Personally, I think a Pedigreed 7.5 is worth more than a plain 8.0.

Typically a pedigreed 7.5 will bring a premium over a reagular 8.0

Depends on the pedigree. I don't know that a Rockford 7.5 would do any better than a non-ped.

Isn't the ink stamp on this book unusual for a Rockford? I've seen the "S" and "W" stamps, but not this one. I'm not surprised that CGC missed the pedigree.

Typically a pedigreed 7.5 will bring a premium over a reagular 8.0

Depends on the pedigree. I don't know that a Rockford 7.5 would do any better than a non-ped.

(thumbs u

Dan I guess what it all boils down to is,it is your book to do with what you will.I understand that and respect that,there's just a little piece of that pedigree that will be lost and that is also a sad thing.I really do think that we are caretakers in a sense whether it be a classic car,family heirlooms or a comic book for future generations. :foryou:

I think sometimes, and this is one of those times, we take the whole historical aspect of the pedigree just a little too seriously. If it's a Church book, I'd agree completely. But a Rockford? Not so much.

I think sometimes, and this is one of those times, we take the whole historical aspect of the pedigree just a little too seriously. If it's a Church book, I'd agree completely. But a Rockford? Not so much.

I was going to suggest pedigrees should be stored in the catacombs under the Vatican... next to the vials of Pope blood. Do you think that may be overdoing it?