• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #1 club

116 posts in this topic

I think I got the 5.5 because of the interior. It is very nice. The back cover is also very nice.

But yea. I agree with you that it is a weak 5.5. Possibly even a strong 4.5. But it only cost me .12 cents, and it is a priceless memory. :)

That's awesome for 12 pennies! (worship) Love to hear story like that. Where's that time machine. :grin:

I think I got the 5.5 because of the interior. It is very nice. The back cover is also very nice.

But yea. I agree with you that it is a weak 5.5. Possibly even a strong 4.5. But it only cost me .12 cents, and it is a priceless memory. :)

I love that!!!! OO copy! :applause::applause::headbang: Wish I was alive and buying comics then!

I love that!!!! OO copy! :applause::applause::headbang: Wish I was alive and buying comics then!

Same here. :headbang:

As do I. Though that would mean I might be depending on a walking stick now lol

I was alive and can remember buying ASM 1 off the racks. I know I was very excited and anxious to read it. Since I was aware of Spiderman and knew the character I must have read AF15 but I don't remember. I passed along most of my comics to my nephews whereupon my sister eventually threw them away so no OO copy for me.

PS No walking stick yet !

Unless you were buying AMS 1 on the newstand at age 15-20 years your odds are higher. (shrug)

Unless you were buying AMS 1 on the newstand at age 15-20 years your odds are higher. (shrug)

I'm guessing the comic population then was about kids ranging from 7-15? Either way, it's nearly half a century ago! Wow how time flies...

I was alive and can remember buying ASM 1 off the racks. I know I was very excited and anxious to read it. Since I was aware of Spiderman and knew the character I must have read AF15 but I don't remember. I passed along most of my comics to my nephews whereupon my sister eventually threw them away so no OO copy for me.

PS No walking stick yet !

Excellent story. My Dad bought it at the time and kept his copy till about 1980 when he either sold it or it was borrowed and never returned. see my sig.

I'm guessing the comic population then was about kids ranging from 7-15? Either way, it's nearly half a century ago! Wow how time flies...

I could read well at a pretty young age, so my comic days lasted from about age 6-13. I do remember buying an ASM #1 right off of a spinner rack. I was born in 1956 and grabbed every comic I could get my hands on, that is until I discovered that girls were much more fun.

I wish I could say that I still had my originals, but they eventually disappeared during my 20+ year hiatus. Most "older" people in this hobby have a similar story that starts with "if I ONLY knew." Anyway, it would be nice today to own a dozen or so SA Keys at a combined purchase price of under a buck-fifty. :cry:

I could read well at a pretty young age, so my comic days lasted from about age 6-13. I do remember buying an ASM #1 right off of a spinner rack. I was born in 1956 and grabbed every comic I could get my hands on, that is until I discovered that girls were much more fun.

I wish I could say that I still had my originals, but they eventually disappeared during my 20+ year hiatus. Most "older" people in this hobby have a similar story that starts with "if I ONLY knew." Anyway, it would be nice today to own a dozen or so SA Keys at a combined purchase price of under a buck-fifty. :cry:

So it began after SC4...you do have a very impressive SC22 7.0 and some great stuff! (worship)

Oh... I almost forgot my membership card to the club. I've owned it for quite a while, but I can assure you that I paid well over 12 cents for it. The scan's not doing it any justice, but it presented better raw in hand. But hey...What, me worry?

33c3wxh.jpg

So it began after SC4...you do have a very impressive SC22 7.0 and some great stuff! (worship)

Thank you, My Good Man. Might I add that you have some real beauties in your possession as well. In an environment where some think Marvel books are the ONLY books, it's always nice to find a fellow DC enthusiast. BTW - The SC4 was hitting the street just about the time the doctor was slapping my tiny arse. It must have been some kind of warped, DC birthright omen. ;)

While I'm glad I'm not quite in that age range, that must be wild to remember buying ASM #1 new.

There are benefits to be in that age range = our social security benefits will be there for us when needed !

Though I remember seeing the Fantastic Four, I resisted buying them until issue #21, the cover blew me away. I didn't like the Hulk but I did buy X-Men #1 - 3, after which point I was bored with them. At the time X-Men was not that popular. I bought Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, and JIM 83. Thor was my favorite. It truly was the Age of Marvel. But then the Beatles came along and I shifted my funds toward the purchase of records.

While I'm glad I'm not quite in that age range, that must be wild to remember buying ASM #1 new.

Yes, Bill... there are a handful of certain books that I bought at a very young age - and whenever I look at the cover - I remember them like it was yesterday. It's like going back in time for a little while. And yet, sometimes I can't remember what I did two days ago.

As for the age range, you should be ecstatic (not just glad) you're not here yet. It's nice that my mind remembers the comics, but unfortunately, every morning my body remembers all the sports activity, along with a few other ways I've managed to abuse my body. :preach:

You know, being a ten year old in 1963 produced some great memories. The silver age comics hitting their stride, is one for sure. I was not a Marvel zombie at that time. My favorites were Marvel though, but Batman and the Flash were favorites also. Didn't care too much for Superman. Wouldn't even think of spending money on a woman superhero such as Wonder Woman or Supergirl.

Spiderman was #1 in my fantasies and reading at that time. Liked Batman also, but Spidey was more "real". Batman was kinda corny and I thought that Robin was gay, but still a big part of my young life at the time.

Even though I didn't care much for Superman, I still do remember pinning a bath towel around my neck (like a cape) and pretending to be him as I was going down hill on my bicycle.

I remember constantly trading comics with two other kids in my neighborhood. A Spidey #1 for a Hulk #1 and a FF #1. I remember that Marvels were usually worth (in trading) several DC's. Things like that. Unfortunaly I also remember folding my comics and putting them in my back pocket as I went here and there.

When I shipped off to the Marines I just totally forgot about comics. Eight years later, I returned and my favorite aunt says to me one day, "Hey, I have a cardboard box with a bunch of comic books that you had as a kid. It was in your grandma's attic", (my grandparents raised me). I said "no kidding. I want them".

I got them and just put them in my closet, still in the old cardboard box. The books were stacked on top of each other, unbagged and unboarded.

Then the next year (1981) I became a cop and my new partner was constantly reading comic books and we talked about them a lot as we drove around patrolling. I wasn't reading them anymore but I went with him to a local LCS and saw a price guide. I bought one and went through my old comics and decided that I had made some money with those old things.

So I started buying old comics for investment in the early to mid 80's, everytime he and I would stop at the local LCS to get "this weeks new comics" that he was reading. Then in the 90's, I started buying three of every book that came out, paying attention to condition. (sound familiar?)

That was basically the wrong thing to do. I should have stuck with just buying the older stuff. I was buying most of my books from either Northcoast Nostalgia, Collectors Corner or Larrys Comics. All in Parma, Ohio. They were within six blocks of each other. Three LCS's within 6 blocks! It was sweet.

I just wish I would have stuck with the buying of just old books, instead of speculating on the new stuff. Most of that stuff is just junk and not worth much. :(

I did buy fifteen copies of ASM #300 new, and a dozen copies of Killing Joke new. I even made sure to buy ten copies of each additional printing of The Killing Joke. They had different color covers.

I also started going to conventions in the early 80's. There were several in the Cleveland area, usually in a Holiday Inn. Some real small and some so-so. I eventually made it to Mid Ohio Con and met John Byrne, Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee. I had books signed by all three (individually). I attended the big Superman 50th anniversary comic book convention that was held at the Convention Center in downtown Cleveland (birthplace of Superman). At that convention I personally witnessed one oriental fellow buy four copies of Superman #1, with cash he had in a briefcase. I don't know how much he actually paid but the asking prices on the books were twenty and fifteen thousand each. All bought from one dealer. Maybe that dealer is here on the boards?

Yep. I know that this is the age of electronics and wondrous technology. But in those simpler days, life was good. Only three TV channels. No cell phones. A boy and his bike, with comic books in his back pocket and a baseball card clicking on the spokes of his bike wheel.

Sweet memories. That is why I still collect comic books.