• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified FF11...

26 posts in this topic

This book has had me intrigued for some time and I just wanted to share it and get some thoughts.

I bought this from a terrific board member a few months back and I keep going back to look at it.

It's labeled as a Qualified (Married Cover) but just look at the cover!

The corners are so sharp and it's so perfect looking despite the tear. (The 'M' in COMIC at the top)

I keep thinking that someone perhaps found some unpublished FF11 covers and tacked one on to an interior book.

:shrug:

I don't know... I asked the board member and he didn't really know either.

Regardless, this has become one of my favorite books! :)

ff-1.jpg

ffbk.jpg

I don't mean to start a debate but can someone enlighten me if married covers are the only sort of "restoration"- for want of a better word- to merit a green label instead of a PLOD?

And you're right. It's a nice cover :)

Hey Hibou,

I don't think the mystery of that book is going to be solved completely unless and until the book gets cracked out. I think that there are staple issues, along with the classic "more wear on the book than the cover" GLOD scenario. If you look, you can't see the staples from the back.

It actually may have had the married cover affixed in some other way. I can't say because I pulled it out of my "HG" Silver box before I subbed it and didn't really look at it properly.

PS. Thank you for throwing this up in General instead of the Grading Forum to insure the maximum views of this monument to my ineptitude.

For early SA Marvels there are uncut oversized covers that rolled off the Eastern Press presses but weren't used to make comics. Many were later hand-trimmed and married to interiors. As the covers come from the beginning of the print runs and have never been in circulation, they have extraordinary cover colors and sharp edges.

Not all of them have been in the hands of the fraudsters at Fantazia and given bogus 'file copy' stamps or touched up with color.

Hey Hibou,

I don't think the mystery of that book is going to be solved completely unless and until the book gets cracked out. I think that there are staple issues, along with the classic "more wear on the book than the cover" GLOD scenario. If you look, you can't see the staples from the back.

It actually may have had the married cover affixed in some other way. I can't say because I pulled it out of my "HG" Silver box before I subbed it and didn't really look at it properly.

PS. Thank you for throwing this up in General instead of the Grading Forum to insure the maximum views of this monument to my ineptitude.

... sorry :blush:!

(I wasn't going to mention who I got this from. :) )

That is one sweet book no matter what the label says imo.

Yeah, it's a pretty wicked miswrap but you dont see early FF covers in that good of shape very often unless you have about 10K to spend. I'm with the OP, and would LOVE to have that book, miswrap/green label and all!

I don't believe it's been trimmed.

I agree. If one was going to trim an oversized cover, why miswrap it?

The oversized covers are stored folded, and so it's natural to marry the interiors to them along their fold lines. Of the two I've owned, one has a significant front-to-back miswrap.

JIM84tif.jpg

That is one sweet book no matter what the label says imo.

Yeah, it's a pretty wicked miswrap but you dont see early FF covers in that good of shape very often unless you have about 10K to spend. I'm with the OP, and would LOVE to have that book, miswrap/green label and all!

I agree. Very nice book!

Hey Hibou,

... sorry :blush:!

(I wasn't going to mention who I got this from. :) )

Don't sweat it, bud. Just teasing and making fun of myself a little. It really does have great eye appeal, and I am glad you enjoy it.

I don't spend as much time on the boards during the weekend as during the week, but I'll be sure to check in periodically today and tomorow to keep this thread bumped to the top. (thumbs u

Thanks everyone for the remarks and the history!

(And thank you Sean! :) )

I never knew any of that in regards to Eastern Printing and I just love knowing that somewhere there are numerous unused covers of some really nice silver age classics!

I don't believe it's been trimmed.

I agree. If one was going to trim an oversized cover, why miswrap it?

The oversized covers are stored folded, and so it's natural to marry the interiors to them along their fold lines. Of the two I've owned, one has a significant front-to-back miswrap.

JIM84tif.jpg

Good point. I have seen far, far more already-folded covers than 'unfolded' on eBay -- some folded far off centre.

There was a FF1 CGC 1.0 Green label 0164424001. But it doesn't appear when I look for it in the CGC database.

It had Married Cover". Cover detached. Piece of back cover re-attached with tape. Front and back cover re-attached with 3 pieces of tape.