• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RUBINSTEIN Commission !!! 2 days before the end of my ultimatum

115 posts in this topic

I have a pair of Joe R recreations of Golden Micronauts art on my wall. Both are stunning, but each took several months longer than originally quoted.

Par for the course for everyone's commissions in general, really.

(shrug)

Joe's communication through each delay was quite adequate.

I'm not sure if he's a member of this board, and thereby may not be aware of this thread.

Andrew

Hey, do you have a link to the framed Micronaut pieces? Sounds cool!

I don't want to hijack Romain's thread, but I'll answer your question in brief. They were recreations of a 1979 Micronauts ad, and the cover for Micronauts #4.

I had scans of them up on CAF for all of a few hours before Golden's art rep complained both personally and publicly. Rather than have decidedly negative comments posted in my CAF gallery, I decided to take the pages down.

:slapfight:

Please note the above does not constitute an opinion on my part on whether or not the complaint was justified.

:whistle:

Andrew

I don't want to hijack Romain's thread, but I'll answer your question in brief. They were recreations of a 1979 Micronauts ad, and the cover for Micronauts #4.

I had scans of them up on CAF for all of a few hours before Golden's art rep complained both personally and publicly. Rather than have decidedly negative comments posted in my CAF gallery, I decided to take the pages down.

Please note the above does not constitute an opinion on my part on whether or not the complaint was justified.

Andrew

:gossip: You know, if you have a premium CAF membership you can delete objectionable comments.

Joe just completed an inking commission for me, it took a while, he had some scheduling conflicts...but he came through in the end with a gorgeous ink wash over Mike Netzer blue line pencils on Conan/Red Sonja piece.

Joe is usually pretty good about communicating, I would keep talking to him and I know he'll come through in the end.

what were the concerns about the recreations?

Renee noted that both pieces I'd commissioned from Joe were based on original layouts by Golden, and we'd proceeded without permission from, or compensation for, Michael for said commissions.

I suppose it's not all that different from Byrne being annoyed by recreations of Uncanny X-Men 141 - certainly that's well-documented.

Again, I am not expressing any opinion on her complaints. If I did I'd have started my own thread to do so.

Andrew

Hmm. I didnt think you needed permission from the original artist to commission a re-creation. I guess Roy Lichtenstein could not get away with that if he was posting his stuff on CAF these days!

We should take this back to the original matter at hand.

Agreed. :hi:

In an abundance of caution, yesterday I emailed Joe a link to this thread, to make absolutely certain he's aware of it.

In that light, I suppose no news is good news?

:popcorn:

Andrew

I guess Roy Lichtenstein could not get away with that if he was posting his stuff on CAF these days!

Lichtenstein would get sued back into the Silver Age if he tried to do his comic book stuff today.

I am sure Mr. Lichtenstein wouldn't mind being sued because he would still be alive.

I Commissioned Joe to ink a dan brereton batman piece about 4 years ago. I gave him the original and half the cash up from. Joe said it would take 3 weeks. It ended up taking 8 months but he always responded to emails and gave me progress reports. and I didn't have to pay the other 50 % until the piece was finished. I was extremely happy and didn't mind waiting.