• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Love seeing the listing of Showcase 22-24 as NM/M, M and NM, respectively. I`m sure some Showcase 22-obsessed boardies` minds just got officially blown.

It would definitely be interesting to see how they grade out. Did the collection have a B&B #28 or Adventure #247 in similar shape? How about the Showcase #4?

Tom has said there are 2 copies of Showcase 4 in the WP collection.

He did? It's possible, although in this 2003 post he said there weren't any in it:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=181611#Post181611

I initially fell for Tom`s tricky wording too. :tonofbricks:

It could happen to anyone who isn't a lawyer.

I have to carefully parse through words for a living, and now I have to carefully parse through every word on these boards? :cry:

I have an additional question regarding pedigree books. Do people pay a premium for pedigree status vs just a regular slab? To ask it using books as an example would a white mountain 9.4 go for more than a regular 9.4 of the same book?

Some do, some don`t.

Yeah, some people chase some pedigrees. Which means a premium is often paid for pedigree copies. Many of the pedigrees mentioned here as "top 5" candidates will sell for a premium over equally graded issues. Other pedigrees with less prestige and a lower reputation for quality will generate very little interest over a similarly graded book.

Some pedigrees have a following beyond title and issue #. The church books are the best example of that. People simply want a church copy of anything, just to have part of the collection.

It also depends on the venue. Some venues feel like they bring out the pedigree fiends more than others.

CGC churns out new pedigrees like fast food burgers these days, so your hunger should be satisfied pretty easily.

That's funny because it's true. But I wasn't thinking about new pedigree collections. I was thinking of adding to my own collection with existing, established pedigrees.

If only you guys with Church, Reilly, and Larson books would sell... :baiting:

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Love seeing the listing of Showcase 22-24 as NM/M, M and NM, respectively. I`m sure some Showcase 22-obsessed boardies` minds just got officially blown.

It would definitely be interesting to see how they grade out. Did the collection have a B&B #28 or Adventure #247 in similar shape? How about the Showcase #4?

Tom has said there are 2 copies of Showcase 4 in the WP collection.

He did? It's possible, although in this 2003 post he said there weren't any in it:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=181611#Post181611

I initially fell for Tom`s tricky wording too. :tonofbricks:

It could happen to anyone who isn't a lawyer.

I have to carefully parse through words for a living, and now I have to carefully parse through every word on these boards? :cry:

Perhaps I should reconsider. It's not like you and other lawyers sit around all day figuring out the fine print that make the working and private life of everyone else a big gotcha. Oh, wait... :baiting: