• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

I scanned it from the sotheby's catalog where the Daredevil run was sold (As a group lot!

Which means someone has them all, except the one I have. :sorry: )

Unless you know differently, yours is probably a duplicate, the collection somehow had a bunch of miscellaneous duplicates. Makes you wonder why the OO would buy dupes, and begs the question of how often dealers slip extra books into a pedigree to give them a sales boost--not that I have any specific reason to believe that happened with White Mountain or any other pedigree.

mine wasn't included in the lot that was sold at sotheby's. It's got a nasty bindery tear off the top left corner so it wouldn't have fit in with the high grades in that Sotheby's lot (the group was graded 95)

dd9.jpg

When it comes to the Marvel keys, the Massachusetts collection has to be given alot of consideration as a top pedigree. The collection goes back to around 1959 with the DCs. The Marvel keys starting with FF1 are generally outstanding, and are probably surpassed only by the White Mountains overall.

Looking through the catalog, I'm adding some more wish list items on top of the Daredevils... I just noticed the WM Strange Adventures #180, Green Lantern 12, 13 and 21.

for those of us who collect obscure DC sci-fi the WM's are indispensable. Most of these books just flat out don't exist above 6.5-7.0 (although Mound City popped a few gems out).

maybe the Savannah fellow collected a few as well :wishluck:

the Green River Pedigree Collection seems to have the strangest connection behind it? hm

Green River serial killer

Since that page was updated, Gary Ridgway was convicted as being the Green River killer and he's not the original owner of those comics--that removes a bit of the strangeness associated with the pedigree.

Curator has the most strangeness attached to it for any Silver pedigree I know the story of. :eek:

When it comes to the Marvel keys, the Massachusetts collection has to be given alot of consideration as a top pedigree. The collection goes back to around 1959 with the DCs. The Marvel keys starting with FF1 are generally outstanding, and are probably surpassed only by the White Mountains overall.

What grade is the FF #1? Don't think I've EVER seen a Massachusetts copy of any FF issue, I wasn't even sure they were in there.

What grade is the FF #1? Don't think I've EVER seen a Massachusetts copy of any FF issue, I wasn't even sure they were in there.

GPA has records of several selling

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 3

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 16

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 31

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 32

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 37

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 55

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 61

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 64

Fantastic Four (1961) No. 73

the Green River Pedigree Collection seems to have the strangest connection behind it? hm

Since that page was updated, Gary Ridgway was convicted as being the Green River killer and he's not the original owner of those comics--that removes a bit of the strangeness associated with the pedigree.

Curator has the most strangeness attached to it for any Silver pedigree I know the story of. :eek:

What is the story on the Curator pedigree?

My understanding is that the OO sold the collection to fund a sex-change operation.

My understanding is that the OO sold the collection to fund a sex-change operation.

did he do it over livingsocial.com?

The owner was a museum curator who stored his books at the museum. When it came time to renovate the museum he needed to move them. This is when he decided to sell his books to fund a sex change operation. He continued to stay married to his wife after the sex change operation and they partied on in lesbian bars for ever after.

:angel:

I always forget about the Pennsylvania books - some of them are gorgeous. I think the cover marking is cool too.

AllSelectComics-1-PA.jpg

What a book!

Also, good call on the mega keys. The WM keys are sick, sick books.

What are those Pacific Coast grades? The ones I know are X-Men 1 two copies at 9.6 and 9.8, and then Amazing Fantasy 15 at CGC 6.5--or at least that's where it was at in 2001 and can't go up much due to unusually extensive chipping.

The White Mountain ones I know are AF15 CGC 9.4, Spidey 1 CGC 9.6, and FF 1 CGC 9.2.

Pretty sure it's the same PC X-men that went from 9.6 to 9.8.

What are those Pacific Coast grades? The ones I know are X-Men 1 two copies at 9.6 and 9.8, and then Amazing Fantasy 15 at CGC 6.5--or at least that's where it was at in 2001 and can't go up much due to unusually extensive chipping.

The White Mountain ones I know are AF15 CGC 9.4, Spidey 1 CGC 9.6, and FF 1 CGC 9.2.

Others I know, off the top of my head:

TOS #39 9.6

Hulk #1 8.0

Avengers #4 9.2

WM JIM 83 is 9.6.

In fairness to the PC collection, the PC TOS 39 is currently a 9.6 (after several tries).

I believe there were 3 PC X-Men 1s, which originally graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.6. Doug and CGC then successfully transformed one of the 9.6 copies into a 9.8.

I believe there were 3 PC X-Men 1s, which originally graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.6. Doug and CGC then successfully transformed one of the 9.6 copies into a 9.8.

Ah, ok. I did not realize there were multiples of that book.