• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 5 top Comic Book Pedigrees?

168 posts in this topic

So does anyone know what grade the Pacific Coast FF #1 is, if any?

I recalled the Pacific Coast Hulk 1 is the one owned by a board member that used to be an 8.5 but is now an 8.0 due to a crease on the back cover.

So does anyone know what grade the Pacific Coast FF #1 is, if any?

I recalled the Pacific Coast Hulk 1 is the one owned by a board member that used to be an 8.5 but is now an 8.0 due to a crease on the back cover.

The PC FF run begins with # 4, if memory serves me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I believe there were 3 PC X-Men 1s, which originally graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.6. Doug and CGC then successfully transformed one of the 9.6 copies into a 9.8.

I'm reasonably sure there are only two Pacific Coast copies of X-Men #1. They were both originally graded 9.6 by CGC. As you know, one is now a 9.8. The other copy is still in its original holder.

Tim: I don't think there were 3 Xmen 1's. I know I had one and the Chocolate man as some call him had one. When I submitted the Xmen 1 White pager as a PC copy CGC called him to ask if he had sold his copy. Then as they say some stuff hit the fan.

To long of a story to post here.

But I never heard of there being a 3rd Xmen 1. Though I believe a second run of Hulk 1-6 does exist.

Tom

Tim: I don't think there were 3 Xmen 1's. I know I had one and the Chocolate man as some call him had one. When I submitted the Xmen 1 White pager as a PC copy CGC called him to ask if he had sold his copy. Then as they say some stuff hit the fan.

Tom

Please, do tell the story. You have insight. please share with us.

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Someone please elaborate on this Spokane collection for me. This is my backyard but I had not heard of it.

A collection of high grade, mainly 1950s books from many publishers (but mainly focused on pre-code) that was brought to market by Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler about 13 years ago. The collection as you surmised was bought from the OO in Spokane, Washington. Page quality and preservation are exceptional, and the collection contains the highest graded examples of many pre-code books. If you're a pre-code horror fan, it's up there.

Many knowledgeable GA collectors say that the Spokane books are rivaled/exceeded only by the Salida books in terms of whiteness and freshness.

every time i see a vancouver the pq is white.

The only problem with Vancouver is the books themselves. It's like the OO went out of her way to skip anything of exceptional future value.

Fixed that for you.

thanks. it's been a while so I forgot the details. I just remembered the weird selection of books.

One man's "weird" is another man's :cloud9:

FourColor0375Vancouversm-1.jpg

Supa: As far as I know the original owner sold off all of his books and was avidly collecting stamps. An awesome person that I never got to meet personally but spent alot of time on the telephone and online with him. He has passed away much to young.

Tom

Jimbo: From what I remember the WPa FF's were comparable to the other books in the collection and stored in mylars with backing boards. I had an oppurtunity to buy the run for $4K to stupid at the time to realize that even the Marvel dreck had some value! They were eventually sold intact to a collector.

Hope that helps.

Tom

My Fav's are

Church

Spokane

White mountain

Pacific coast

Aurora

Bethlehem

Someone please elaborate on this Spokane collection for me. This is my backyard but I had not heard of it.

A collection of high grade, mainly 1950s books from many publishers (but mainly focused on pre-code) that was brought to market by Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler about 13 years ago. The collection as you surmised was bought from the OO in Spokane, Washington. Page quality and preservation are exceptional, and the collection contains the highest graded examples of many pre-code books. If you're a pre-code horror fan, it's up there.

Many knowledgeable GA collectors say that the Spokane books are rivaled/exceeded only by the Salida books in terms of whiteness and freshness.

every time i see a vancouver the pq is white.

The only problem with Vancouver is the books themselves. It's like the OO went out of her way to skip anything of exceptional future value.

Fixed that for you.

thanks. it's been a while so I forgot the details. I just remembered the weird selection of books.

One man's "weird" is another man's :cloud9:

FourColor0375Vancouversm-1.jpg

I wasn't saying the books themselves were weird. Personally i saw a lot of stuff in the collection that gave the big :headbang: I was referring to the overall selection- in the sense that she somehow managed to avoid any keys or anything of exceptional value.

I believe there were 3 PC X-Men 1s, which originally graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.6. Doug and CGC then successfully transformed one of the 9.6 copies into a 9.8.

I'm reasonably sure there are only two Pacific Coast copies of X-Men #1. They were both originally graded 9.6 by CGC. As you know, one is now a 9.8. The other copy is still in its original holder.

per pedigree:

The X-Mens are actually even nicer: No.1, 9.6 (two copies); 2, 9.8; 3, 9.8; 4, 9.4; 5 and 6 are both 9.8; 8, 9.6; 9, 9.8; 10 and 11, 9.6; the X-Men 12 has graded 9.8, as has the 15, 17 and 21!!

Here is something you guys might appreciate. I just found this while going thru some boxes. An ad for the WPa books. Yes even the GA are from the collection except for the MH of course. I bought the GL 1 and the Showcase 43, it graded CGC 9.2. The Showcase 22-24 were already sold.

I was told that a dealer was selling some of the GA books from this collection as Mile Highs.

Best, Tom

WPAAD.jpg

But I never heard of there being a 3rd Xmen 1. Though I believe a second run of Hulk 1-6 does exist.

Tom

My mistake then. For some reason I have this memory of seeing a 9.4 PC X-Men 1 at some point, but I can`t figure out where and when that was, so it`s probably just another indicator of advancing Alzheimer`s.

Supa: As far as I know the original owner sold off all of his books and was avidly collecting stamps. An awesome person that I never got to meet personally but spent alot of time on the telephone and online with him. He has passed away much to young.

Tom

Wow, sorry to hear that he has passed away. Had not heard that. :(

Is there any reason his name can`t be disclosed publicly now, so that collectors can properly acknowledge the person who assembled one of our hobby`s greatest collections?

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Love seeing the listing of Showcase 22-24 as NM/M, M and NM, respectively. I`m sure some Showcase 22-obsessed boardies` minds just got officially blown.

They discussed those books in detail. Apparently they are still owned by whomever bought all 3.

I'd love to see pedigree "members" in the registry. Meaning- whenever a Church book gets graded it would get slotted into the "Edgar Church" reference user's books. Clearly some pedigrees would have an advantage, being brought out in the CGC era, but it'd still be interesting to compare across runs and across collections as a whole.

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Love seeing the listing of Showcase 22-24 as NM/M, M and NM, respectively. I`m sure some Showcase 22-obsessed boardies` minds just got officially blown.

That's some great stuff, it's always cool seeing these old ads. Fun to also compare what these books were graded at way back when and what CGC said they were.

Those Showcase books must be incredible, worst part is knowing that a bunch of these WP's were sold without being stated as from this pedigree.

Wow the MIS 75 is listed as a VF, unless there are multiple copies of that book I know it graded much higher.