• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The Grade Amazing Spider-man #39

19 posts in this topic

This seems to be pretty popular on the boards so I thought I would post a key issue and have you fine folks make some guesses as to what you think CGC graded it.

thumbsup2.gif

ASM39.jpg

ASM39a.jpg

ASM39b.jpg

The Back is completely mark free, no creases, soiling, tears nothing.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bottom Left corner, top right upper edge, bottom right corner, tanning along right side. small stress line beside PP collar. But a beautiful rare comic and 1 of my favourite comics of all time. thumbsup2.gif

So now that we know it's a 7.0, anyone surprised??? 893whatthe.gif

Fortunately I bought this already graded and got a great price, but the first thing I did when I received the book was to e-mail the seller and tell him that it looked better than a 7.0.....he agreed.

Sure it has some defects, but I thought it looked at least a 7.5 to 8.0 to me confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess that's why I don't work for CGC grin.gif

I have to admit that my grading standards aren't as tight as CGC's. Books that I would have had no problem labeling as NM a few years ago, now would have a tought time getting a VF grade foreheadslap.gif

What's troubling to me is that when ever I purchase raw books from my LCS or of Ebay, their NM's are equivalent to mine, and we are all wrong by CGC standards. I have a batch of books at CGC right now and I felt that each one of them is the typical NM I buy, so it will be interesting to see if any of them come back 9.4.

I feel like I will be lucky to get 1 9.4 out of the whole lot and yet I just can't see any flaws with most of the books 893frustrated.gif

Thats one of those books whose overall glossyness and eye appeal should count for something despite the defects. Thats my main gripe with CGC that those types of books get punished while fairly dingy but flat books that have obviously been wharehoused and dont have half the eye appeal of that book get much higher grades.

Edit: The long scuff mark is pretty bad on the righthand side of the book, if not for it probably would have got an 8.5, so CGC isnt too far off.

I would have guessed 7.5. Maybe some of the interior pages are torn or something but not enough to make a note of it?

Could be. If I had submitted it I would have asked for graders notes when I got it back. I know ther is more to the book than just the front cover and back cover so if we can see some flaws on those....it makes sense that their might be some internal flaws that take it down another notch or two.

Fortunately, I sleep easy at night 7.0 or not hi.gif