• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few words to the wise re: shipping comics via Media Mail...

203 posts in this topic

DON'T DO IT!!

So much for the "few words". Here's the long-winded version for the unconvinced:

I know that many shippers here have had different experiences with Media Mail -- some good, some bad. And, yes, we also know that the Priority Flat Rate services are preferable, but ONLY if the economics of the deal make sense, which is often not the case for the kind of material I sell (e.g., large, heavy, bargain-priced reader's lots), especially when offering free shipping to my customers. Charging $10-$15 for a lot with free shipping included doesn't get daddy a new pair of shoes when the Priority box costs me $11!!! :)

Whether or not Media Mail is acceptable for comics (in terms of the official USPS regulations) is debatable: talk to five different Postal clerks, and you'll often get five different interpretations. And we've all heard the same old boardie tricks, dodges, and folklore ("the ads in the comics are old", "include a piece of sheet music with the comics and you'll be fine", etc., etc.). So let's not re-hash it, and instead stick to the facts, the most germane of which is this: the Post Office has been bleeding money for years at an alarming rate...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/24/news/economy/postal_service_close/index.htm

So is it any surprise that they're cracking down/eliminating/limiting their economy services, and pushing the higher priced options instead?

I have been using Media Mail for at least 10 years now to ship literally thousands of comics, and have had very good experiences with the service. Sure, it could be slow (but hey! that's why it's cheap, right?). But combined with insurance and delivery confirmation, it was generally a reliable and affordable way to move product.

That all ended a few weeks ago, when I tried to ship two bulk lots using Media Mail. My first stop was at my regular post office (where I used to work, and am a known commodity). After processing two flat rate Priority packages, the clerk stopped cold when I asked for Media Mail for the remaining two boxes:

"What's in this box?" she asked.

"Old magazines", I said.

"What kind of magazines?"

"Comic books..."

"Sorry," she said. "You can't use Media Mail for those."

"But I've been using it for years, and have never had a problem here before."

"I know," she explained. "But we're cracking down on it now, and just had a long training session about it. We're inspecting more packages, and they're now being opened and inspected more often along the entire delivery chain. So you'll need to use Parcel Post instead."

Before I could stop her, she stamped one of the boxes in bright red ink with the words "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR MEDIA MAIL", obviously to prevent me from taking it to another branch. The other package was unscathed, so I told her "no thanks" on the Parcel Post, and took both packages with me...

...to another branch office across town, where things got even worse.

I was a bit hot under the collar, so this time my wife (a much cooler customer) took the one un-stamped box in, and requested Media Mail. She got the exact same interrogation, but with a bizarre twist: the clerk wasn't satisfied with the "old magazines" claim, so--before asking another question, and before my wife could stop her--she produced a utility knife and actually OPENED THE BOX RIGHT THERE AT THE COUNTER, slicing through the middle of my mailing label in the process. My wife was horrified, and immediately told her not to open the box any further or disturb any of the contents or packaging, and to re-seal it immediately.

To avoid any further delays to my customers, the box was sent Parcel Post. But the moral of this story is simple:

Getting away with Media Mail for comics is rapidly becoming a thing of the past (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire service was phased out altogether within the next few years, esp. for non-commercial/non-academic customers). Clerks are asking questions, opening boxes, and cracking down (and not just at the retail counter apparently, so even your home-brew mailing label drop-off jobs are not safe).

If it hasn't happened to your shipments yet, odds are very good that it will, and soon. If you're going to use it, you're taking a risk (of damages due to ham-handed slicing and rifling by postal clerks), and your customers should be informed of this up front. And I would NEVER use it to ship ANYTHING in grade or of any real value.

Like I said...just a few (hundred) words to the wise...

I actually had an experience like this last week in shipping to Michigan.

But the funny thing was the reason they opened the box was because it was too securely packaged for Media Mail. They even told the receiver this so he knew why the box had been opened.

So when I called them directly to ask some questions, the local supervisor passed along, "By the way, we were really impressed how well you packaged the comic you sent."

So everyone - I am USPS recognized for my packaging, but I will not be shipping Media Mail going forward.

lol

So we all know the valuable keys and CGC stuff should be sent priority mail with insurance but what about that pile of junk comics that we are lucky to get $10 for or that single. 99 cent comic?

Since media mail is a hassle to ship those beaters, what is the alternative solution? Ups, Fedex or throw them all out? hm

So we all know the valuable keys and CGC stuff should be sent priority mail with insurance but what about that pile of junk comics that we are lucky to get $10 for or that single. 99 cent comic?

Since media mail is a hassle to ship those beaters, what is the alternative solution? Ups, Fedex or throw them all out? hm

Fed Ex Ground/Home Delivery can be far more economical for packages over 4-5 lbs, and 5% cheaper than that if you use Amex on your account.

use boxes that are 14 x 14 and tell them you're shipping lp records, heck even use old lp cards boards as proctective packaging. if they decide to open it and see the comics, tell them that the comics are used to protect the records from getting damaged.

I am sure I am costing myself lots of money, but I moved from Louisiana to LA 3.5 years ago, and I could not bring my Collection with me. I placed my boxes in my Famlies house so that it could be safe from harm. When they found out how much my books were worth, They freaked out and did not want it in the house. So they been slowly shipping me my books, Been using the USPS Flat rate boxes, I get about 30 books shipped in one box, They are shipped very securly and sent inside of that box, within another box. I have tried the media mail as well, they wont let me from my home town. The flat rate box is $15.70 or so now, but its far better then spending $50 using other venues.

If any other ideas are floating around, let me know I would love to spend less money on the shipping.

Carl

use boxes that are 14 x 14 and tell them you're shipping lp records, heck even use old lp cards boards as proctective packaging. if they decide to open it and see the comics, tell them that the comics are used to protect the records from getting damaged.

That's along the line of the old sheet music technique. It's not going to work anymore, as the new language states any material with advertisements will not be allowed.

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Press+Releases/Current+Press+Releases/UPS+4th+Quarter+Earnings+Surge+44+Percent%2c+2011+EPS+Expected+to+Set+All-Time+High

It amazes me on how UPS is gloating in there profits. I know people who work for UPS and they are paid 50% over what USPS are paying with a rock solid Union and benefit package to boot also.

You can ship heavy boxes via UPS ground.

You can print out media mail labels with paypal, and then just drop them off. Of course theres always the possiblity of them opening it up and hitting the receiver with the surcharges.

:cry:

This happened to me with my last shipment received via Media Mail. An extra $5+ due upon receipt. :mad:

Just using the online shipping calculators for a 5lbs. package sent from MI. to California it breaks down like this:

USPS (assuming no flat rate, delivery confirmation, insurance, or online payment discounts):

Priority = $18.35

Parcel Post = $12.35

Media Mail = $3.94

UPS (assuming no discounts)

Ground = $16.06

FedEx (assuming no discounts)

Home Delivery = $14.78

A ticket to the next con/show in the area would probably be better spent for bulk, drek pick-ups.

You can print out media mail labels with paypal, and then just drop them off. Of course theres always the possiblity of them opening it up and hitting the receiver with the surcharges.

:cry:

This happened to me with my last shipment received via Media Mail. An extra $5+ due upon receipt. :mad:

Just using the online shipping calculators for a 5lbs. package sent from MI. to California it breaks down like this:

USPS (assuming no flat rate, delivery confirmation, insurance, or online payment discounts):

Priority = $18.35

Parcel Post = $12.35

UPS (assuming no discounts)

Ground = $16.06

FedEx (assuming no discounts)

Home Delivery = $14.78

A ticket to the next con/show in the area would probably be better spent for bulk, drek pick-ups.

and there we go,who wants to ship a .99 cent comic or a $10 lot for those prices?

Not worth it, media mail should be for comics as well or it would be not profitable to sell these kind of comic books.

The Post Office did this to themselves. Every other company doing similar business is profitable.

If I walk in to my actual PO it's like a circus. Long lines, clerks wandering around, one clerk to 6 "registers". My packages have been destroyed, missing, crushed and had coffee all over them. I've handed a clerk (he's been a desk postal worker for nearly 25 years) tell me I still have to pay for delivery confirmation when I print the labels online. After explaining to him that it doesn't work that way he refused to take the Priority Mail Flat rate envelope. Add incompetence to that long list of Post Office issues.

They keep asking for more money to fill their management incompetence. Finally they said "no". So now it's up to the PO to figure out how to get some of that sure thing money back. Do they become competitive? No. Do they run their PO's better? No. Do they get rid of the dead weight workers? No. They open our funny book boxes and tell us we owe them $2. YES!

I have never been too pleased receiving books via Media Mail. It can take forever, get lost or in my case beat to hell upon it arriving at my doorstep.

I am talking about .99 cent comic books, Who would ship a .99 cent comic book by priority mail? I don`t see how a dealer could stay in business doing it that way after Ebay/Paypal fees. It be like giving the comic book away.The reason why I am bringing up the .99 cent comic books or the under $10 dollar comic books is because if you can take a look at Ebay, we will see those kinda comic books keep getting listed over and over again with no bids, I think the reason is not many people want to pay $3 to $5 shipping for a .99 cent or cheap comic book. There must be a cheaper way to ship the .99 cent comicbook if media mail is a no go. hm

Do they get rid of the dead weight workers? No.
There is an old man at my post office that works mornings only. I guess he's supposed to clean the parking lot or something but what he actually does is set up a little display for his Watchtower magazines and proselytize everyone that walks by. He has a folding chair and brings a snack and just sits there talking about Jesus. I always thought he was a regular loiterer but one day they were talking about him inside the post office and I found out he was an on the clock employee and the rest of the workers there cover for him. They were talking about how much trouble he could get in if someone complained, so I complained. I contacted the Postmaster General through the USPS website and wrote in detail about the incident. Nothing happened. The guy is still there not working and collecting a paycheck. And there are people who would break their backs for the USPS collecting unemployment right now :(

Do they become competitive? No. Do they run their PO's better? No. Do they get rid of the dead weight workers? No. They open our funny book boxes and tell us we owe them $2. YES!

So what they're doing wrong is bad but what you're doing wrong is OK and should be overlooked?

I forgot to mention that last week a Post Master told me there was $30.00 Postage Due on my CGC shipment!!!!

The actual postage was $30 and the insurance was $15. The address label said $15. They weighed it and their totals were $45. What a coincidence! That’s what I paid CGC!

CGC had to mail them their manifest to show that the little bulk rate sticker means it’s paid for and the $ printed is only the insurance. From what I last heard he’s still checking into it because to him it doesn’t make sense. He wants CGC’s local Post Office to have them print the actual postage on it.