• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antiques Roadshow - Jack Kirby's comic collection

50 posts in this topic

Forgive me for not knowing, but what exactly is "lightboxing"? I would guess it would be some sort of overhead projection where some sort of tracing is going on.

As I understand it, it's the opposite as overhead projection. You have a box w/ light emanating upwards. Over this, you have a glass top. With the light shining up from below, you can easily trace over another drawing.

Forgive me for not knowing, but what exactly is "lightboxing"? I would guess it would be some sort of overhead projection where some sort of tracing is going on.

As I understand it, it's the opposite as overhead projection. You have a box w/ light emanating upwards. Over this, you have a glass top. With the light shining up from below, you can easily trace over another drawing.

That`s right. If you ever watch "Miami Ink" or "LA Ink", it`s what they`re doing on the white-lit tables to "create" the design that they then tattoo on.

So it's the same work as "cedarchestcomics" on Ebay does correct? Got some nice EXACTING work, but nowhere near the original artist's work.

Well it depends. This piece was inked by a really wonderful and talented inker. Also it's not exactly the same as recreating a fully inked comic piece. The Kirby piece was lightboxed off of Jack's pencils. So the inker still had to embellish the piece and flesh it out from a more basic pencil image.

It's less a line for line copy as it is finishing a piece that is unfinished in this case.

However, lightboxes/light tables, can be used to simply duplicate a piece exactly.

Tonights Antiques Roadshow from San Diego will be showcasing Jack Kirby's comic collection from the 1930s-1960s.

:makepoint: Hiyo!

This is some discussion going on from the episode... definitely thank whoever is was for the post to see the clip, but I must be the only one who eyes bugged out when she said, "... brought some pieces of her GRANDFATHER's collection...".

All through the clip I was wondering her name and thinking... she is kind-of cute and wondering if she is married and/or what does she do for a living.

Oh how the mind of a single-person wanders... (:

P.S.

Yeah the appraisal did seem pretty low for all the items she showed... kept thinking the original-art with Jack Kirby and his partner drawn into the Boy Commandos would definitely be picked up for way more than $15,000 by itself. Plus the item with Jack Kirby original name of when he was young teenager just immigrating... I can see a nasty and ugly bidding-war for that item.