• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antiques Roadshow - Jack Kirby's comic collection

50 posts in this topic

Fifteen grand? That guy was a tool.

Why? For the 5 pieces that were shown, that seemed about to be in the right ballpark. The only published OA in there was the page from Boy Commandos. The specialty pieces, particularly of Kamandi and other Kirby characters, might fetch a decent price, but they rarely go for as much as published work and late Jack typically goes for less than earlier Jack.

That Boy Commandos page, with Jack illustrating it himself, along with the story that he kept it in the family for over 60 years will bring a very nice premium.

That specialty piece, depending on the inker, and size (it looks to be a DPS) could bring a nice chunk.

The Captain America doesn't look like a published pin up. That's hard to tell because give the era that it's from it would be inked by another artist.

I'd love a shot at that 1930's "Kurtzberg" piece, I can see a fight breaking out over that one.

Boy Commandos promo material is about as rare as the artwork.

I think the $15k for insurance purposes should have been about $30k given that insurance figures usually exceed immediate cash sale price.

I would have expected the total group to be more like $25k.

Why? For the 5 pieces that were shown, that seemed about to be in the right ballpark. The only published OA in there was the page from Boy Commandos. The specialty pieces, particularly of Kamandi and other Kirby characters, might fetch a decent price, but they rarely go for as much as published work and late Jack typically goes for less than earlier Jack.

That Boy Commandos page, with Jack illustrating it himself, along with the story that he kept it in the family for over 60 years will bring a very nice premium.

That specialty piece, depending on the inker, and size (it looks to be a DPS) could bring a nice chunk.

The Captain America doesn't look like a published pin up. That's hard to tell because give the era that it's from it would be inked by another artist.

I'd love a shot at that 1930's "Kurtzberg" piece, I can see a fight breaking out over that one.

I think the $15k for insurance purposes should have been about $30k given that insurance figures usually exceed immediate cash sale price.

I'll defer to Chris' knowledge on the subject of OA, and as indicated, the insured figure could sometimes double fair market value depending on the market replacement aspect, which in the case of OA from a deceased artist, isn't possible.

I would say an auction estimate might be $25K, but the insured (or gallery/retail setting) value should have been at least $50K. 2c

BTW: Thanks for the sharing the PBS.org link as I wasn't able to see this last night. (thumbs u

I'll defer to Chris' knowledge on the subject of OA, and as indicated, the insured figure could sometimes double fair market value depending on the market replacement aspect, which in the case of OA from a deceased artist, isn't possible.

I would say an auction estimate might be $25K, but the insured (or gallery/retail setting) value should have been at least $50K. 2c

BTW: Thanks for the sharing the PBS.org link as I wasn't able to see this last night. (thumbs u

One noted Kirby historian has mentioned that the 2 page spread is a lightbox of Jack's pencils and not Jack's original pencils underneath. That, if true, would dramatically impact the value of that piece.

Perhaps the appraiser knew that when he made his appraisal. That would make the number make more sense I guess.

One noted Kirby historian has mentioned that the 2 page spread is a lightbox of Jack's pencils and not Jack's original pencils underneath. That, if true, would dramatically impact the value of that piece.

Perhaps the appraiser knew that when he made his appraisal. That would make the number make more sense I guess.

Are you referring to the piece with Doom, and the FF?

Yes,

According to people who have intimate knowledge of the piece it is a lightbox inked piece by Mike Thibodeaux. Supposedly the original pencils were inked by Mike Royer and that the piece on ARS was not the original.

Yes,

According to people who have intimate knowledge of the piece it is a lightbox inked piece by Mike Thibodeaux. Supposedly the original pencils were inked by Mike Royer and that the piece on ARS was not the original.

How do the historians account for it ending-up in Kirby's estate?

Yes,

How do the historians account for it ending-up in Kirby's estate?

They didn't mention any details as to how they got it, they did mention however that the family knows it's a lightboxed piece and mentioned they were "fully aware" of it. (shrug)

did anyone ever catch the antiques roadshow where a guy brought in a collection of books including Hulk 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, and I believe Amazing Spidey 1? The appraiser asked why the covers looked so glossy.....

The owners reply... " I spent all last weekend shellacking them for the show!"

So this dimwit killed about a $25,000 collection of books (they were nice copies) by spraying shellac on them!

I think it was an episode filmed in Chicago. Funny stuff!

I watched it last night and it seemed to me that she already knew the value of them before bringing them in and when he said $15,000 she had a look of disappointment. At least that's how I saw it watching it once.

I'd say the Jack Kurtzberg piece could fetch about $15,000 as it seems so rare.

I think it was undervalued and they also said this was just a portion of the collection. I could only imagine what else they have.

Really cool stuff. I really enjoy watching these Antique shows (also enjoy the pawn stars show and storage wars).

Thanks again for posting.

did anyone ever catch the antiques roadshow where a guy brought in a collection of books including Hulk 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, and I believe Amazing Spidey 1? The appraiser asked why the covers looked so glossy.....

So this dimwit killed about a $25,000 collection of books (they were nice copies) by spraying shellac on them!

:o

I watched it last night and it seemed to me that she already knew the value of them before bringing them in and when he said $15,000 she had a look of disappointment. At least that's how I saw it watching it once.

I agree. And the guy who did the appraisal is far more familiar with sports collectibles than with comic collectibles. It would have been interesting if the appraiser that did the Charles Schulz - Peanuts OA appraisal did Kirby's.

I'd say the Jack Kurtzberg piece could fetch about $15,000 as it seems so rare.

It`s always easy to spend somebody else`s money. There is not a ghost of a chance that it would get anywhere close to $15K.

The guy had shellacked them when he was young, but it was still painful to watch the appraisal.

Sounds like that Kirby appraisal took quite a shellacking! (OUCH).

I wonder why a Kirby heir appeared on Antiques Roadshow? hm. Could they be in financial straights and are looking for cash? I wonder how much original art is still "hanging around the house"...

Ok, I didn't know about the one piece being lightboxed. If it isn't over Kirby's pencils, that will bring it down. Here's how I looked at them:

$10000-15000 for the big piece with the FF, Doom, and the Hulk (not knowing it was lightboxed)

$8000-10000 for the Captain America piece

$5000-8000 for the Boy Commandos OA

$300-600 for the Boy Commandos advertising

$5000-8000 for the Kurtzburg gag.

I don't have that kind of money, but that's what I would expect to give if I did.

The Antiques Roadshow archive it excellent.

A few more comic related segments:

Mad Magazine OA

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200204A50.html

Here's an excellent comic strip OA segment with a very early Peanuts daily strip:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200206A22.html

Another remarkable Schulz OA segment:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200905A08.html

Even more Schulz OA:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200505A53.html

The guy had shellacked them when he was young, but it was still painful to watch the appraisal.

I thought bhhooks22 had continued his shellacking into adulthood.

:kidaround:

Forgive me for not knowing, but what exactly is "lightboxing"? I would guess it would be some sort of overhead projection where some sort of tracing is going on.

Basically, yes.

A light boxes or light tables work in slightly different ways but it's the same concept. In this case it allowed a piece to be inked onto another board without inking over the original pencils.

So the Kirby piece has original inks by another artist, but since he wasn't inking over Jack's actual pencils, and Jack never touched the final inked piece it is not worth as much.