• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

disaster in Grand Isle...while in Nashville

43 posts in this topic

Well, here i am in Nashville for work and my 17 year old calls me frantic at 10am this morning back in Vermont saying there's "black stuff" all over the house. I call the furnace repairman and after an hour he calls me back. He says he won't even go into the cellar to look at the furnace because the WHOLE house is COVERED in 2" of SOOT. An environmental hazard. Calls fire dept. My son is transported by ambulance and thank goodness; while he is in a bit of shock, otherwise completely fine. I almost faint with relief. I'm trying to frantically get a flight home to VT, but no dice. I call a friend to come get my 2 cats and lizard (yes...a gecko). Serv-Pro is called and call back after arriving saying it's one of the worst they have seen; everything is pretty much ruined. I ask them to go up and check the "comic room". I hold my breath. But, all my books are either slabbed and or in mylars that are then housed in plastic. Comics luckily seem to have avoided damage. Thank the almighty for slabs! Now I wonder about my guitars. The 2 Gibsons acoustics are in cases, so they should be fine. The Gibson SG, the Strat and the Parker are exposed, and I'm sure they pick-ups are fouled, as well as the fret board,etc,etc. TV is gonzo. Fridge is gonzo. Stove is gonzo, All clothes, furniture and bedding are a loss. Computer is shot. (what will my kid do without WOW??) Carpet is not salvagable. Drapes...well, I never had drapes to begin with! I fly home tomorrow to assess the actual damage first hand. In the meantime, I will be forced to sell a big chunk of my Timely collection, as soon as I can get some scans....om second thought, I'm sure the scanner is gonzo too. :censored: Well, hopefully my little Canon digital escaped the carnage so I can snap some blurry pics of the gems. At least I can now eat; I had food poisoning on the flight down here on Tuesday. :tonofbricks: But, my son is ok and that's all I really care about.

Forced air with oil. Still don't know exactly what happened; once ServPro gets the place out of the hazard status the furnace guy will come back and try to figure out what the heck caused it. Has anyone else ever had something similar happen??

Forced air with oil. Still don't know exactly what happened; once ServPro gets the place out of the hazard status the furnace guy will come back and try to figure out what the heck caused it. Has anyone else ever had something similar happen??

Sorta. We had an old oil-fired boiler in our last house that would go on the fritz every now and then. Nasty things when they don't work properly.

Sorry to hear about about that. I'm glad your son is okay and some of your possessions too.

Years ago something similar happened to my parents house, this was back in 1988. They were in Florida for a couple of weeks and when they got back the interior of their house was coated with a black soot. Everything had to be cleaned. The furniture, walls, shelves, ceiling were all covered with the black soot. It took a lot of elbow grease to fix that mess.

My mother was really mad about the whole deal as their house was only five years old at the time.

Their problem was caused by the fuel oil furnace not being able to vent exhaust gases properly. The wind had blown all the smoke right back inside - their chimney was not high enough and the wind caused all of the smoke to somehow enter the house. All I remember is that as soon as things were cleaned up they switched to a propane furnace and never had a problem again.

Yikes...that sucks! Our furnace tanked last year, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to you.

As for the guitars...I bet the Strat will be fine after a good cleaning. Fenders in general (but especially Teles and Strats) can take a lot of punishment!!! I've seen ones that were underwater for days brought back to life with a little TLC!

Thoughts and prayers man!