• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Local Comicbook Stores need a new business model?

141 posts in this topic

This place reminded me of an old shop in Brooklyn called Pinocchio Discounts back in the early 80's. It was huge and packed with back issues. A woman named Bell used to own it and a friend of hers, older man, would be sitting hanging out. It was nostalgic to visit this place.

---------------

It's still there. And I'm pretty sure she is too (along with her husband, who looks older than her). Funny thing is, she's Russian and I seriously doubt she's ever read a comic, but she's been selling them for like 30 years. Her prices...some of them are o.k., but she's a bit optimistic about other stuff like VG SA Spideys and what not.

This place reminded me of an old shop in Brooklyn called Pinocchio Discounts back in the early 80's. It was huge and packed with back issues. A woman named Bell used to own it and a friend of hers, older man, would be sitting hanging out. It was nostalgic to visit this place.

---------------

It's still there. And I'm pretty sure she is too (along with her husband, who looks older than her). Funny thing is, she's Russian and I seriously doubt she's ever read a comic, but she's been selling them for like 30 years. Her prices...some of them are o.k., but she's a bit optimistic about other stuff like VG SA Spideys and what not.

I wish I could get down there just to spend a little time poking around. You're right, it has been about 30 years! The idea that she has been around that long does show that someone can make a living doing this. She's not in the best location either. I had to walk 12 blocks in each direction twice a week. She would have everything ready, in 9.8 condition or better waiting for me in a bag with my name on it. It's good to know she's still around!

Borders finally went bankrupt. I believe this was mentioned as a possibility in an older thread, but it finally happened. I hope the person who was talking about purchasing their stock because it was so cheap didn't doh! here's the link:

Borders Files Bankruptcy

I wonder how this will affect LCS's in a more broad sense. It's a well known fact that a good reason Borders is going bankrupt is they don't have any products to compete with the Kindle or Nook which are both helping Amazon's and B&N's bottom lines. Their revolving door of CEO's & CFO's obviously didn't help matters either. 4 CEO's in 3 years, 2 CFO's in the past year. Incredible.

Do you think that because LCS's may refuse to offer digital content that they may go the wayside? Will it take a digital e-comic reader to infuse new blood into a stagnant industry?

I think the digital e-comic route will suck for the companies that produce craptons of Variant covers **cough** Dynamite **cough**as an e-comic's collectible value is about 0 to nil. It will also suck for us collectors in the longer term because most kids want everything electronic these days it seems.

:ohnoez:

For comics to come back, it'll mean bringing comics back to the newsstands, drug stores, food stores, etc. so a new generation can see and buy them.

As much as the retailer in me hates to say it, I agree.

For comics to come back, it'll mean bringing comics back to the newsstands, drug stores, food stores, etc. so a new generation can see and buy them.

As much as the retailer in me hates to say it, I agree.

I agree as well, but which stores are you talking about. They are at Wal Mart, where basically everyone I know shops. They are at Kroger to a lesser extent. As far as I can tell, there are no more newsstands, at least not around here. There are drug stores, but they hardly even carry magazines anymore.

We do have a local grocery, but the only magazines they carry are the like Us, and all that garbage that thinks the world revolves around Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Miley Cyrus.

The rule of thumb for any business seems to be diversity.

No more trecking your wares for a generation and being loyal to one genre, product or field.

I would tend to disagree with Tim (to some extent) on back issue stock.

I have never been in a comic store which is in a reasonable sized market (say at least 50,000 people to draw from) that could not sell back issues. Now many of them don't sell back issues, but it is because they don't have anything that anyone wants, and what they do have that is desirable is over priced.

Here are the keys to selling back issues.

1. Get new product in. Any store which never gets in new back issue product will at some point quit selling anything, unless they happen to get out of town traffic or new customers (and we know how hard those are to come by).

2. Communicate with your customers. I can't tell you how many stores I have been in that I had to initiate communication with the supposed sellers. Mostly, the employees are there to work the cash register. Talk to your customers (all of them) and find out what they are looking for, and then try to get it. Store owners can get off their butts and find stuff just like I do (if they wanted to).

3. Understand that when a customer comes into a comic store, they are generally there to buy something. If you don't have anything for them, then get something new to sell.

4. Don't try to get a premium price for everything. I know stores all over the place that still have Darkhawk back issues. Get that out of there, make some quarter boxes and get some books that people want. There is simply no reason to carry a series that was cancelled more than 3 years ago(unless it is a true collectible), unless it is in a discount area.

5. Focus. Look at what people are buying and listen to what they are asking about. It changes pretty quickly, so you have to be able to adapt.

6. Buy everything that comes in the door. Now alot of stuff you need to buy very cheaply, but there is a market for (almost) everything. If you can't sell it through your store, sell it on ebay or at a weekend convention.

7. Be willing to adjust your prices if something doesn't sell. Got an Ultimate Spider-man #1 sitting on the wall for 3 years for $125.00? Guess what, nobody wants it at that price. But you might be able to sell it for $70.00, take that $70.00 and buy something else that you can sell for #125 in 3 weeks.

8. Grade your books correctly. Even under-grade most of your stuff(maybe not the good stuff). What good does it do to have an X-Men #23 in your back issue box if it is priced at 3 times what it is sellable at. Remember, generally speaking, you have a fixed customer base.

9. Have an occasional sale. Turn some inventory and some cash. Make a sign that you are also BUYING comics.

Back issue comics are the ONLY high profit product in a comic dealers store. It would be very foolish in my opinion not to utilize every profit option available for a comic book store. Especially the one with the best margin.

Well said on all points. It's stunning how many dealers think that overgrading and therefore overpricing is s a successful business model. I often ask, are you here to sell comics or keep them? If the answer is sell, then what's stopping you? People are at stores and conventions to buy! They are qualified the moment they walk in the door.

Unfortunately, it's not much better at conventions. I always love how angry these same dealers get at other dealers that are selling lots of books for "cheap" prices. Meanwhile, their own inventory is as stale as year-old bread.

I agree, you want to sell and I want to buy. Sometimes both parties have to compromise and meet in the middle. Lost count how many times I see the same books in shops and at cons for a specific price that NEVER move. The more you have invested and the longer it sits, you are losing money in the long run. Just my .02

I agree as well, but which stores are you talking about. They are at Wal Mart, where basically everyone I know shops.

You must go to different Walmarts than I do, as other than Archie Digests, I have never seen a funny book prominently displayed there. They might have some hidden in a back alley, but I have yet to see one.

But Dale is partially right - the world has passed print media by.

I would tend to disagree with Tim (to some extent) on back issue stock.

I have never been in a comic store which is in a reasonable sized market (say at least 50,000 people to draw from) that could not sell back issues. Now many of them don't sell back issues, but it is because they don't have anything that anyone wants, and what they do have that is desirable is over priced.

Here are the keys to selling back issues.

1. Get new product in. Any store which never gets in new back issue product will at some point quit selling anything, unless they happen to get out of town traffic or new customers (and we know how hard those are to come by).

2. Communicate with your customers. I can't tell you how many stores I have been in that I had to initiate communication with the supposed sellers. Mostly, the employees are there to work the cash register. Talk to your customers (all of them) and find out what they are looking for, and then try to get it. Store owners can get off their butts and find stuff just like I do (if they wanted to).

3. Understand that when a customer comes into a comic store, they are generally there to buy something. If you don't have anything for them, then get something new to sell.

4. Don't try to get a premium price for everything. I know stores all over the place that still have Darkhawk back issues. Get that out of there, make some quarter boxes and get some books that people want. There is simply no reason to carry a series that was cancelled more than 3 years ago(unless it is a true collectible), unless it is in a discount area.

5. Focus. Look at what people are buying and listen to what they are asking about. It changes pretty quickly, so you have to be able to adapt.

6. Buy everything that comes in the door. Now alot of stuff you need to buy very cheaply, but there is a market for (almost) everything. If you can't sell it through your store, sell it on ebay or at a weekend convention.

7. Be willing to adjust your prices if something doesn't sell. Got an Ultimate Spider-man #1 sitting on the wall for 3 years for $125.00? Guess what, nobody wants it at that price. But you might be able to sell it for $70.00, take that $70.00 and buy something else that you can sell for #125 in 3 weeks.

8. Grade your books correctly. Even under-grade most of your stuff(maybe not the good stuff). What good does it do to have an X-Men #23 in your back issue box if it is priced at 3 times what it is sellable at. Remember, generally speaking, you have a fixed customer base.

9. Have an occasional sale. Turn some inventory and some cash. Make a sign that you are also BUYING comics.

Back issue comics are the ONLY high profit product in a comic dealers store. It would be very foolish in my opinion not to utilize every profit option available for a comic book store. Especially the one with the best margin.

Well said on all points. It's stunning how many dealers think that overgrading and therefore overpricing is s a successful business model. I often ask, are you here to sell comics or keep them? If the answer is sell, then what's stopping you? People are at stores and conventions to buy! They are qualified the moment they walk in the door.

Unfortunately, it's not much better at conventions. I always love how angry these same dealers get at other dealers that are selling lots of books for "cheap" prices. Meanwhile, their own inventory is as stale as year-old bread.

I agree, you want to sell and I want to buy. Sometimes both parties have to compromise and meet in the middle. Lost count how many times I see the same books in shops and at cons for a specific price that NEVER move. The more you have invested and the longer it sits, you are losing money in the long run. Just my .02

What`s happening is a lot of those comic book characters or actors are becoming obsolete, time is passing them by and thats why they sit, if they have EC,Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,Hanna Barbera and comics based on 1960`s tv shows then maybe they should have sold them about a decade ago at those prices when they were more relevant. That`s what I sometimes wonder how long Spider-man,Superman and Batman can stay relevant, right now they seem unstoppable and the best bets but that could have been said of Tarzan,Flash Gordon,Dck Tracy and Lone Ranger 30 years ago I suppose. hm

Actually, I sold 3 Lone Rangers and 1 Gene Autry this week.. Just saying.

Oh, and ECs are great sellers, and some of the Hanna Barbera stuff is too.

What was the average age of the customers though? I'm guessing they weren't 20-somethings who wanted to mix up their Walking Dead reading with a little Gene Autry.

4. Don't try to get a premium price for everything. I know stores all over the place that still have Darkhawk back issues. Get that *spoon* out of there, make some quarter boxes and get some books that people want. There is simply no reason to carry a series that was cancelled more than 3 years ago(unless it is a true collectible), unless it is in a discount area.

You just made baby comicalgems weep.

Actually, I sold 3 Lone Rangers and 1 Gene Autry this week.. Just saying.

Oh, and ECs are great sellers, and some of the Hanna Barbera stuff is too.

I am using the Ebay model, I see the same kinda books listed month after month with a bin, plus you seem to be more of a cutting edge kind of dealer that knows how to move inventory compared to the ones I am thinking of. (thumbs u

Do you think that because LCS's may refuse to offer digital content that they may go the wayside? Will it take a digital e-comic reader to infuse new blood into a stagnant industry?

It's not that LCS's refuse to offer digital content... it just isn't feasible. Yes, I know Diamond is talking about having shops have some sort of 30-day exclusivity window before buyers can just download the issues themselves, but this will just be short-term until publishers get enough business that they just cut out the middleman (Diamond and LCS's) altogether. Why would they need them after awhile?

Barnes & Noble's e-reader is keeping them afloat for now, but in the long-term it's just delaying the inevitable for them.

If the hard-copy comic format is to survive, it MUST have LCS's to do so. The chains like Wal-Mart will never again carry much in the way of new comics issues... too many cross-overs, too many titles, and their concern will always be making sure all issues they carry are family-friendly. If Wal-Mart didn't want to carry comics when they were selling 100,000 cc per month, why would they want to carry them now when they're selling 30,000 cc per month?

And as for the on-line Deep Discounters... a lot of their survival depends on the LCS as well. I probably have a dozen (dozens?) folks who come in the store each week primarily to browse through the new arrivals in order to decide what they are going to go home and order on-line. Without the LCS to act as a free showroom, even the Online sellers will suffer a decline in sales.

Now, it's a different topic on whether the LCS can survive or not... but I think the bound-format comic's days are numbered if all LCS's go under.

What was the average age of the customers though? I'm guessing they weren't 20-somethings who wanted to mix up their Walking Dead reading with a little Gene Autry.

lol

I have to admit that made me laugh as well. lol

yep after reading Walking Dead I always like to compliment it with a good Gene Autry read. ;)

seriously though, my father loves Gene Autry and has a compete run. so yeah I guess it`s sorta generational.

I have to admit that made me laugh as well. lol

yep after reading Walking Dead I always like to compliment it with a good Gene Autry read. ;)

seriously though, my father loves Gene Autry and has a compete run. so yeah I guess it`s sorta generational.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Zombie-Autry #1 is being solicited for May.

And as for the on-line Deep Discounters... a lot of their survival depends on the LCS as well. I probably have a dozen (dozens?) folks who come in the store each week primarily to browse through the new arrivals in order to decide what they are going to go home and order on-line. Without the LCS to act as a free showroom, even the Online sellers will suffer a decline in sales.

I'm guilty of this....if I'm scoping out a new piece of technology, I generally go and play with it at Best Buy, and if I want it, buy it on Amazon. Generally speaking, better price and no sales tax.

I agree though....if the print medium for comics is to remain viable, it will be because of specialty stores like LCS.

However, and I used to think it wouldn't happen in my lifetime, I can see a time in the next 10 years, where the technology/hardware (Ipads, Nooks, Kindles) will be cheap and readily available, and the owners of the content (Marvel, DC) will HAVE to go exlusively digital as the the print runs will no longer justify the expense of publishing on paper. The real danger of having mega-corporations hold all the licensing and intellectual property rights is that they maneuver as nimbly as a tank in a china shop. Where small publishing companies can survive on modest print runs under 10k and can adapt better to the changing environment, the Marvels and Disneys of the world can't.

How much revenue does Disney/Marvel generate from their comic publications anyway? (and I'm excluding TPBs here) I have to think its a drop in the bucket compared to all the licensing for video games, merchandising, movies, theme parks, etc., etc. That piece of the pie will likely continue to shrink until its no longer viable enough to eat.

I agree as well, but which stores are you talking about. They are at Wal Mart, where basically everyone I know shops.

You must go to different Walmarts than I do, as other than Archie Digests, I have never seen a funny book prominently displayed there. They might have some hidden in a back alley, but I have yet to see one.

But Dale is partially right - the world has passed print media by.

I'm part of the world and it hasn't passed me by, and I hope to never own a kindle or shnook, or whatever they call those goofy things. When I want to read a book, it is a book, not a device.