• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Comments in sales threads

Ban Sales Thread Comments  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Sales Thread Comments

169 posts in this topic

I find some comments in the sales threads to be entertaining....and I'm also a free speech kind of guy as long as it doesn't devolve into harassment. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

And I totally should have just read the whole thread and given a good old +1 to the Rupp...could not have said it better my friend :)

:gossip: BTW the CLooney sketch is eagerly awaiting the March Clooneython...perhaps I'll find a nice green hat he can wear lol

I swear I'd run at least 0 to 8 miles max ... in slow motion Six Million Dollar Man style...up the same side of a mountain... twice... to see that :banana:

hmlol

I'm having a real hard time understanding this type of attitude. If a seller has a comic I want, I buy it regardless of whether there is banter going on.

I get the point Heath was making, but not to the extreme of "no chat - no purchases."

There was a fairly new seller about 6-7 months ago that posted some great slabbed books for sale. As soon as folks posted "super books" and started discussing some of them, he told everyone to drop the banter in his thread.

I don't think any books sold. It was not a board-friendly thread.

I don't think any books sold. It was not a board-friendly thread.

Do you remember the seller?

No, but he did send me a PM and politely asked that I remove my "Great books :applause: " comment from the sales thread. I did to keep the peace, told him good luck, and removed myself from the PM.

I don't know. It seems just as unfriendly to ignore a seller because he had the audacity to not want his sales thread muddied by comments he didn't want. (shrug)

If it was done politely, I don't see the problem.

I'm just wearing my devil's advocate hat today. :grin: Of course, everyone is free to buy or not buy from whomever they want for whatever reason.

Seriously, it's kinda disturbing to think that there is a segment of buyers on this board that will ignore a sales thread just because it doesn't meet their standard of friendly.

I don't know that anyone said they'd ignore it. Just that the friendly talk is a draw. Seems like human nature.

Just to reiterate, the almighty dollar wins out every time. I wont prove a point by not buying a book if the price is right and I want it.

I'm a pathetic materialistic pig with no moral scruples and even less conviction. (thumbs u

On the flip side, if your so serious about comic books that even a compliment in your sales thread is upsetting, you should probably get outside more....although your pasty appearance and clear lack of sex may scare your neighbors so on the other hand, crawl back into the basement from whence you came and continue your five times a day fiddling sessions :censored:

If I was a seller I would ask to keep the chat down to questions about books and I will take its but other then that I wouldn't want a bunch of posts because if I where to list some later, people may miss those books that could have potentially sold because I know that I would do the same thing and just close the thread and move onto the next one after a few pages if too much chatter. Titles of threads do help me keep my attention so that is important if you really want me to have to go thru the hassle of a search of 20 pages to see if you have something. But when you have a thread title like " copperbooks" which is a vague description and it is 20 pages of banter and such I will look at first page and then close and move to next thread.

I don't know if it is disturbing, but more people going with what they are comfortable with.

There are buyers on here that never want to participate in any discussions, never post their books back from CGC or recent purchases, and only want to engage when looking to make a purchase. They'll only come out from behind the curtain via PM when they want a book, and will never even post kudos or complaints. Seems like these folks have seen people torn apart, so they would rather remain anonymous and just collect their books.

I'd assume the same of anyone that participates regularly on here, and that they'd rather only purchase from sellers matching their expectations of engagement.

(shrug)

I'd assume the same of anyone that participates regularly on here, and that they'd rather only purchase from sellers matching their expectations of engagement.

(shrug)

But isn't that part of the problem? Some people want sales threads to be full of friendly banter (just like any other thread) and some see a demarkation between sales threads and non-sales threads with regards to said banter. I can understand wanting that. There was a time on this board when sales banter was discouraged unless the seller did not mind. Those attitudes may be changing if the poll results are to be believed.

There are buyers on here that never want to participate in any discussions, never post their books back from CGC or recent purchases, and only want to engage when looking to make a purchase. They'll only come out from behind the curtain via PM when they want a book, and will never even post kudos or complaints. Seems like these folks have seen people torn apart, so they would rather remain anonymous and just collect their books.

Either that or they're just using this place to find deals and are not interested in participating. I would venture to say that that is by far the most likely reason.

Either that or they're just using this place to find deals and are not interested in participating. I would venture to say that that is by far the most likely reason.

There's that too.

There is also the way that you can use the banter to your advantage as a seller.

With all the interaction, you can find out what people like or dislike, as well as what they collect or any holes in their collection that they have been wanting to fill.

When the Clooneython threads are going, the PM's come in regularly... plus if I know someone is looking for something and I have it, I can PM them as well. Add on's definatly "add on" to the bottom line.

Some might say that it's just chatter... but within that chatter I found out that Avalon likes cool artwork, totallyjem was looking for a Spider-man statue, JZRarities loves Calvin Klien, Boscoe needs some more Dave Stevens' books and mschmidt needs more Sandmans. Definatly things to write down and remember for future threads.

Banter can be a win - win !

You're telling me that if a sales thread has a comic you want, you won't buy it because no one is commenting in the thread?

It actually does...I have seen a couple of posters state that comments are only welcome via PM and to avoid commenting in their threads. I certainly respect those wishes, but I don't shop there (similar to avoiding the sellers that were asking for 3% bumps if you paid via paypal).

I'm having a real hard time understanding this type of attitude. If a seller has a comic I want, I buy it regardless of whether there is banter going on.

Just to be clear, I'm not either anti or pro banter in a sales thread. I think it's up to the seller to set the parameters. I agree that we don't need more rules, but passing on a comic I want just because no one is yacking about it in the thread is silly to me. I'm much more likely to ignore a particular seller because of who the seller is and what he/she is offering but the banter, or lack thereof, has zero influence on who I buy from and who I don't.

May just be dissimilar ways to approaching the hobby. For me, the social aspect and banter are a large part of the enjoyment. There really are a ton of books out there for what I collect, so I can seek out the type of environment I enjoy. Now I was not trying to say that I do not buy in threads that lack banter. Instead, I avoid threads where the seller makes it obvious from the get go, that socialization is unwelcome (again, absolutely their right to do that if they prefer :foryou: ) In fact, I try to get some interest going sometimes in a thread if I see it languishing with no comments (compliment the book, provide a semi-witty one-liner, etc. :juggle: )

It is all part of the fun for me. I guess I look at like I would having a beer after work. There is a bar closer on the Campus Strip that is cheap, but I do not know anyone there. I drive an extra minute or two out of my way, and pay an extra 50 cents to instead go to a place folks know me and I feel comfortable (Kind of a Cheers like vibe). Not the best analogy, but the best this slow moving Mondary brain can do :doh: