• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Comments in sales threads

Ban Sales Thread Comments  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Sales Thread Comments

169 posts in this topic

Seriously, it's kinda disturbing to think that there is a segment of buyers on this board that will ignore a sales thread just because it doesn't meet their standard of friendly.

Is it though (wearing my Devil's Anti-Advocate Bowler Hat)? Are there not restaurants you avoid or LCS's that have turned you off with less than friendly service? Perhaps the circuitry upstairs is messed up (OK not perhaps, almost assuredly hm ), but to me it is pretty much the same thing. I look for a fun experience when I shop (fun is of course subjective to everyone...some people prefer shopping in silence and find it relaxing). Unfortunately, my buying ADD seeks out bells, whistles, shiny objects, and a bit of a chat.

Are those things present in all threads I patronize? Definitely not. And in some cases (i.e. charitable sales, or financial crunches for some boardies) I would not even begin to expect it. However, if it is just a general sales thread and it is made clear to me from the outset they will not be there, it is just pretty easy to click on another thread that is a bit more entertaining.

I didnt realize that sales threads where for entertaining people. I thought that was the rest of the forum and sales section was for selling stuff. If this is the case we should be able to sell in any section of the forum since with my entertainment I want items shown for sale. :P

lol

btw just joking around

... and believe it or not... and I shall use my good bud Heath (Snake Eyes) as proof of this... that when someone who is witty, well known on the boards & isn't afraid to interact with the people in your thread, it actually stimulates the buying environment in your thread.

You can literally watch the traffic follow Snake from thread to thread. He's like the cool kid in elementary school who had the shiney new Star Wars lunch box when the rest of us had plain ole paperbags. Hell I didn't even have a paperbag... I put my pecan sandies in my pant's pockets (and you can imagine what they tasted like since lunch was right after recess). You definatly want him and people like him to stop in for a visit to any thread you put on.

If he wasn't a "banter-buddy", then everyone's sales would be lot lower. (worship)

I can say that not only about him, but a lot of the Clooneython regulars... DCMan, Detroit Mike, Luis, Sam T, Ramses717, JZ, Rawhide, Mikenyc88, Totallyjem, TooSnappy and everyone else, all of which bring witty personalities and funny stuff to the procedings.

"BYOB - bring your own banter" :whee:

Seriously, it's kinda disturbing to think that there is a segment of buyers on this board that will ignore a sales thread just because it doesn't meet their standard of friendly.

Is it though (wearing my Devil's Anti-Advocate Bowler Hat)? Are there not restaurants you avoid or LCS's that have turned you off with less than friendly service? Perhaps the circuitry upstairs is messed up (OK not perhaps, almost assuredly hm ), but to me it is pretty much the same thing. I look for a fun experience when I shop (fun is of course subjective to everyone...some people prefer shopping in silence and find it relaxing).

What I'm struggling with here is the idea that if I, as a seller, politely request no banter in my sales thread, I am somehow not friendly? ???

I like to think that, excepting a few cranky moments, I am friendly. :grin:

However, if it is just a general sales thread and it is made clear to me from the outset they will not be there, it is just pretty easy to click on another thread that is a bit more entertaining.

I guess the difference for me is that I don't necessarily need or want entertainment in a sales thread. It has no effect on whether or not I will buy. If a seller asks politely (and that's the key) to not have banter, I see nothing wrong with that and I see no reason to ignore that seller.

Wow...thanks for the kind words Michael :foryou:

Know that you are welcome to borrow that Shiny Star Wars lunchbox anytime you need (truth be told, I remember Pac-Man, A-Team, and Airwolf I think; but not Star Wars :doh: )

Not so sure I have that kind of an impact individually, but more generally I would have to agree with you. There seems to be almost a critical mass that a sales thread will reach at times where the interactive environment will help push sales. Case in point, MCMiles is running a sales thread. He listed an Adventures #2. Never heard of the book before (shame on me I know :( ). Looked interesting, but it was oversized and definitely not on my want list. However, a couple of people commented on it (Dale posting interior pics too I think). It got me to thinking about it, and ultimately I purchased a book I would not have if no one would have posted on it after it was listed. I think I even commented that the posts made by others ultimately got me to purchase.

Too many variables in play (price, reputation of the seller, etc.) in the sales threads, but it would be interesting to test out the impact of sales chatter :juggle:

It got me to thinking about it, and ultimately I purchased a book I would not have if no one would have posted on it after it was listed. I think I even commented that the posts made by others ultimately got me to purchase.

repent-sinner.jpg

Is it though (wearing my Devil's Anti-Advocate Bowler Hat)? Are there not restaurants you avoid or LCS's that have turned you off with less than friendly service? Perhaps the circuitry upstairs is messed up (OK not perhaps, almost assuredly hm ), but to me it is pretty much the same thing. I look for a fun experience when I shop (fun is of course subjective to everyone...some people prefer shopping in silence and find it relaxing).

What I'm struggling with here is the idea that if I, as a seller, politely request no banter in my sales thread, I am somehow not friendly? ???

I like to think that, excepting a few cranky moments, I am friendly. :grin:

However, if it is just a general sales thread and it is made clear to me from the outset they will not be there, it is just pretty easy to click on another thread that is a bit more entertaining.

I guess the difference for me is that I don't necessarily need or want entertainment in a sales thread. It has no effect on whether or not I will buy. If a seller asks politely (and that's the key) to not have banter, I see nothing wrong with that and I see no reason to ignore that seller.

I see what you are saying. Perhaps I was unclear or mispoke, but me finding a particular thread not as welcoming or friendly is not any comment upon the person themself being unfriendly. The two are completely seperate in my mind. It is only the thread itself I am commenting on, and such threads are simply less engaging to me and I wander off. I do not put the OP on ignore, think ill of them, and I will not rule out entirely shopping there (for instance the site may have few active threads and thus limit my options). Maybe I made it too black and white. :shrug:

Ultimately though, I think it comes down to your second paragraph. It is pretty much an agree to disagree thing. I look for a different shopping experience than you it seems. Neither is right or wrong...as long as we are polite to each other and understand that not everyone wants the same thing. The great thing is the boards offer enough variety and posting styles that I think it accommodates not only the both of us, but also the styles of many others :foryou:

:gossip: Interesting chat by the way...never really thought this topic through or reflected much on some of my buying behaviors until now hm

If a seller asks politely (and that's the key) to not have banter, I see nothing wrong with that and I see no reason to ignore that seller.

You are correct sir ! There is nothing wrong with wanting a banter free thread... and a thread "with banter" or "without banter" isn't going to have a bearing on whether or not I buy there... especially if you have the books I want.

I personally would put a "excessive banter not allowed" notation in my thread rules section to impose your expectations. That way you won't have to "smack wrists with a ruler" in your thread... and I know that sounds worse than it actually is, but just note that it's only a "visual" example.

A dealer calling me out about banter in his thread wouldn't bother me or offend me in the least and I would respect their wishes... but it might make some feel "punished" and then feel the need to shy away from the thread in question because they might feel they have wronged the seller in some way.

Its all a personal choice as to how they want to run their threads. Wanting a professional, banter-free thread shouldn't have any bearing on sales or opinions of the friendliness of the seller at all. 2c

It got me to thinking about it, and ultimately I purchased a book I would not have if no one would have posted on it after it was listed. I think I even commented that the posts made by others ultimately got me to purchase.

repent-sinner.jpg

:devil:

... hmmm I often wonder what the banter in Hell is going to be like ?

I don't mind a little friendly banter in my sales threads at all, and agree that it's fun and keeps things light and interesting. On the other hand, as a buyer I do tend to avoid sales threads where the amount of chat outpaces and (sometimes overwhelms) the listing of the books themselves. Scrolling through page after page of multiple embedded quotes (for quips, b@ll-breaking, and other witticisms) just to get to a book or two is more work than it's worth for me, so I usually pass...

Its all a personal choice as to how they want to run their threads. Wanting a professional, banter-free thread shouldn't have any bearing on sales or opinions of the friendliness of the seller at all. 2c

That sums it up quite well. :applause:

I don't mind a little friendly banter in my sales threads at all, and agree that it's fun and keeps things light and interesting. On the other hand, as a buyer I do tend to avoid sales threads where the amount of chat outpaces and (sometimes overwhelms) the listing of the books themselves. Scrolling through page after page of multiple embedded quotes (for quips, b@ll-breaking, and other witticisms) just to get to a book or two is more work than it's worth for me, so I usually pass...

This is equally summed up quite well. :applause:

repent-sinner.jpg

Disconcerting...first thing I pictured was the Simpsons where Homer is talking about being attacked by dogs with bees in their mouths...when they bark a swarm of bees fly out and sting you (someone better versed in the language of Springfield can clean that quote up)...so in person, maybe people with bees in their mouths. In hell's chatroom/on-line boards however, it is a simple substitution of *smurf* for every *smurf* and *smurf* *smurf* *smurf* :frustrated:

repent-sinner.jpg

You mean this thread isn't it? doh!