• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Comments in sales threads

Ban Sales Thread Comments  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Ban Sales Thread Comments

169 posts in this topic

If your feet make it into a picture or two along with the books, then you are guaranteed to have a lot of not so witty banter.

It does seem that Ginger Flesh sells books. hm The wife is a red-head...will have to try that. She totally would not mind waking up with a comic at her feet and me with a camera, right??? :eek:

If your feet make it into a picture or two along with the books, then you are guaranteed to have a lot of not so witty banter.

It does seem that Ginger Flesh sells books. hm The wife is a red-head...will have to try that. She totally would not mind waking up with a comic at her feet and me with a camera, right??? :eek:

Yes. She will love it. You should have done it this morning for Valentine's Day.

Yes. She will love it. You should have done it this morning for Valentine's Day.

I still have this evening :foryou:

So someone does something you dont like and now we need more rules?

The last thing this board needs is more rules for the mods to enforce.

Secondly the format of most of the selling threads makes them un-readable far more than any commenting/banter that happens.

Sellers please post everything for sale in the first post and then start adding in scans in the following posts. Not being able to see everything that is for sale until you scroll through every single post is annoying..especially when you add in the dozens of quotes with the image in them of people commenting on the book.

Secondly the format of most of the selling threads makes them un-readable far more than any commenting/banter that happens.

Sellers please post everything for sale in the first post and then start adding in scans in the following posts. Not being able to see everything that is for sale until you scroll through every single post is annoying..especially when you add in the dozens of quotes with the image in them of people commenting on the book.

I agree with this suggestion. I don't understand why this is not obvious to the seller to list in a tabular format everything you will be selling.

I agree with this suggestion. I don't understand why this is not obvious to the seller to list in a tabular format everything you will be selling.

Posting all that one is selling on the first post & a tabular format would definatly be the most "professional" way to do it.

A buyer can automatically see something he wants and immediatly PM the seller to snag that item. Quick, professional and efficent.

I always wondered how many PM's a seller gets before his auction starts by listing this way?

I advocate for no comments in any threads, say what you need to in thread title and leave it at that! No more flame wars! (thumbs u

Wait, what's the fun in that?? :o

It's a good idea if you are trying to be professional....but some of us don't KNOW what we are selling...;)

Also you tend to get PMs before the books are listed officially. I tried that once with the VCC.

Still an interesting idea, I might try it.

I think the threads work pretty well and I enjoy the "banter"...the problem is that the same banned people come back under different IDs and post junk....and then we have problems... doh! and another one of these threads;)

Posting all that one is selling on the first post & a tabular format would definatly be the most "professional" way to do it.

A buyer can automatically see something he wants and immediatly PM the seller to snag that item. Quick, professional and efficent.

I always wondered how many PM's a seller gets before his auction starts by listing this way?

I think a list at the beginning(sans prices or maybe grades as well depending on items) is a good suggestion, maybe adding that no sales will be made until item is posted might alleviate the potential "you said you were going to post it and you didn't :sumo:" posts.

Well, you have people upset because the books were sold before they were "officially" posted. You really can't win.

It's a great idea. I sure as hell never thought of it.

Yes, but a seller might not always had a set amount of books to list, or conversely, may run out of time to list everything. Both circumstances have happened to me before. Sometimes I've done well and kept adding books, sometimes I've had to stop because real life got too busy.

As a buyer, I like to be surprised. Foolkiller's or cd4ever's threads wouldn't be as fun if they started out with a list in the first post. Conversely, when a seller does post a list of the books coming up, that's fine by me, too.

To itch his own. (thumbs u

As a buyer, I like to be surprised. Foolkiller's or cd4ever's threads wouldn't be as fun if they started out with a list in the first post.

I like the surprise as well. I remember fondly hitting my refresh button over and over again when F_T ran his Mildenhall sales thread. Fun times.

there are as many ways to run a sales thread as there are to collect.

i try to present all the books on the first page in thumbnails with grade, PQ and price described for those who are image challenged at work (roy back in the old days). i don't bother commenting on "nice books" as i think there's a reason for the limits on thread bumping and i view responding to every comment as unnecessary thread bumping. i will acknowledge in the thread if someone pops the BIN. if i sell a book through PM, i'll typically just update the first post and won't make another post in the thread. i allow myself one bump, usually on the last day when i've reduced prices. my goal is 500 views and 10% sell through (on slab retread threads).

i'd like my sales threads to feel similar to jive's and namisgr's; they run very nice sales threads.

Pizzes me off when a book sells via PM before it is offered in the thread. Even though it may have been in the title of the thread, or mentioned that it will be coming up later in the thread.

But....it's your book, so do with it what you will applies.

I think that the "for sale" threads run pretty well. To participate in the "banter" appropriately, you have to be somewhat familiar with who initiated the thread. Some people here are more uptight than others. More persnickety, careful, choosy, fastidious, finicky, dainty, eclectic, exacting, acute, choosy, or delicate.

there are as many ways to run a sales thread as there are to collect.

i try to present all the books on the first page in thumbnails with grade, PQ and price described for those who are image challenged at work (roy back in the old days). i don't bother commenting on "nice books" as i think there's a reason for the limits on thread bumping and i view responding to every comment as unnecessary thread bumping. i will acknowledge in the thread if someone pops the BIN. if i sell a book through PM, i'll typically just update the first post and won't make another post in the thread. i allow myself one bump, usually on the last day when i've reduced prices. my goal is 500 views and 10% sell through (on slab retread threads).

i'd like my sales threads to feel similar to jive's and namisgr's; they run very nice sales threads.

I like your sales setup too paperheart... the rowed thumbnails display nicely :)