• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I’ve been aware of Silverberg for a long time, he seems to be a fairly prolific writer. 

But I’ve never read any of his stuff and I never hear anyone mention it either.  But recently a booktuber mentioned this as being probably his best work. 

So far I’m enjoying it. 

4614E723-A1A2-47EB-87A2-FB8B04A64F4C.thumb.jpeg.fbe0378a3046a5ca45d3b6815552dea8.jpeg

On 8/3/2022 at 3:26 AM, jimjum12 said:

also the team of Lincoln and Childs

And since you've been touting them regularly, I followed your advice and picked back the Pendergast series where I left off years ago (thumbsu and am currently reading Still life with crows and am over half done with it, hoping to finish by the end of the week. So far, I can vouch that it reads quickly, don't think I like it as much as Cabinet of Curiosities (but maybe that one was a superior example) but a lot is going to hinge on how the story is resolved. The action takes place near Garden City, KS where I spent several days a decade ago so I love the descriptions.

Edited by Scrooge

On 8/3/2022 at 11:25 PM, Scrooge said:

And since you've been touting them regularly, I followed your advice and picked back the Pendergast series where I left off years ago (thumbsu and am currently reading Still life with crows and am over half done with it, hoping to finish by the end of the week. So far, I can vouch that it reads quickly, don't think I like it as much as Cabinet of Curiosities (but maybe that one was a superior example) but a lot is going to hinge on how the story is resolved. The action takes place near Garden City, KS where I spent several days a decade ago so I love the descriptions.

Cabinet Of Curiosities is likely my favorite, but Relic was good and was even given the Silver Screen treatment. I'm glad some people benefited from my recommendation. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/3/2022 at 11:30 PM, jimjum12 said:

Cabinet Of Curiosities is likely my favorite, but Relic was good and was even given the Silver Screen treatment. I'm glad some people benefited from my recommendation. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I started reading the series based on your recommendation in another thread.  The books are great.  I'm up through Crimson Shore now.  

You know how the author will quote someone(s) at the beginning of a chapter? (no idea why this is done, btw) Anyway, I'm reading the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz. I just finished the first one last night, so I plug in the 2nd audiobook this morning and the very first line of the book is him quoting Swamp Thing ... "How deep do you need to bury the past before it will stay dead?"

Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge - I really enjoyed this as it was very reminiscent of the Lottery and the Long Walk.  Every year, in a small Midwestern town, the October Boy, a jack lantern atop a scarecrow’s body, rises from the cornfield to run a gauntlet of teenage boys.  There can be only one winner.  Either a boy kills the October Boy, or the October Boy kills them.  Cool premise and could have been better with a more skilled writer, but this is a great read for the Halloween season.  I think this is being made into a movie in the near future. Definitely check it out.    

Dark Harvest: Partridge, Norman: 9780765319111: Amazon.com: Books

Reading Cockpit By Jerzy Kosinski again-really twisted and shows how much chaos one guy can cause anonymously.  All of Kosinski's books are twisted.  The only survivor of the Manson murders because his flight was delayed so he wasnt there.

Handful of books so far in September, couple for dissertation research (Herzberg, Work and the Nature of Man; Edmondson, Fearless Organization) but...

Anyone that is into dystopia futures should check out the Forstchen series that starts with 1 second after. Just finished the three books and I found them to be really great reads (other two are one year after and the final day). 

Hello, I'm new and reading "Lord of the Flies". The novel by William Golding makes me think about the rules of a civilized society that don't exist anymore and the human behavior in it. https://paperap.com/free-papers/lord-of-the-flies/ is the source that offers more information about the book's symbols. I trust the source's free papers since the essay examples have well-explained data.

Edited by NormanEdwards