• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I've read this before, many years ago, so thought I'd give it another go after seeing this copy on eBay for a fiver (result!):

1871070451_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.1237d92322ea3b44b3ccc007ce567ce1.jpg thumbnail.jpg.ede07cbc57ef50972765d0a13788c8f1.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what it's like on second reading. I've read pretty much every book he wrote, or which was written about him, but not for such a long time now.

And who doesn't love an ex-library copy....

1118481890_BladerunnerWiseCrack.gif.89f32661b9bff13638b4e698660b3f15.gif

1768987061_ScreenShot2022-06-16at6_35_41PM.jpg.f617a09aa9c572056efe6418c33e3c06.jpg

Fascinated by the whole 60s, 70s & 80s era of NYC. So much great art, music and culture that came out of those decades.
Wish that I could have lived there then. Was too young for the 60s & 70s, but did spend some time there in the 80s. 

Interesting read from someone who was in it. Heard he recently passed. RIP.

Edited by Hiro

About 50 pages into Jonathan Strange & Mr.Norrell.Couldn't pass it up for $1.I have a lot of trounle reading anything this long anymore.I have the attention span of a gnat but I do like the way it is written.Will try to make it through.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, nepatkm said:

Been in this field of work for over 30 years time to become certified. 🤷‍♂️
Arborist Test coming up for me in September…studying 😵💫

40DC1936-0655-4395-B060-D6496402DEB8.jpeg

:takeit:peace high hopes!

Get er done!

Does a book ABOUT comics count?

“I have known many adults who have treasured throughout their lives some of the books they read as children. I have never come across any adult or adolescent who had outgrown comic book reading who would ever dream of keeping any of these “books” for any sentimental or other reason.”

Frederic Wertham – Seduction of the Innocent

Oh and this one too. It does have big 68 pages. I won't take less.

nostalgia.jpg.acf06fb9c2136ff654805eae59a7bb98.jpg

I am reading "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" by Tennessee Williams. It is about how death is the result of secrets and lies. I checked a free book summary on https://freebooksummary.com/category/cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof to understand the relation between Brick and his best friend's death, Skipper. It was easier to understand the plot because the subject was complicated enough.

Edited by RonaldMcCurdy

Got my winter binge reading ready.Finally replaced the set I had years ago.These are all BCE's cause I had the first trilogy in them & the second trilogy in store editions and I like all my books in a series to be one size.If possible.I loaned my original set to a young guy I bowled with.He got half way through the last book ad quit reading.I convinced him to finish it up but he had a fatal wreck shortly thereafter.

SRD.JPG

I've been re-reading my well-worn Robert A. Heinlein books I purchased in the early 1980's over the past few months - I'm through Friday, The Number Of The Beast, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, To Sail Beyond The Sunset and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress so far. Heinlein is the master of science fiction in my opinion, and I can read him endlessly.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:05 AM, mtracy64 said:

I've been re-reading my well-worn Robert A. Heinlein books I purchased in the early 1980's over the past few months - I'm through Friday, The Number Of The Beast, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, To Sail Beyond The Sunset and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress so far. Heinlein is the master of science fiction in my opinion, and I can read him endlessly.

I like revisiting books from years ago. Sometimes I've forgotten so much that it seems like reading it for the first time :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm re-reading Hunter S Thompson's 'Hell's Angels" and it seems new. 

I just finished "Lord of the Rings" for the upty-umpth time, hard cover books I've had for almost 50 years.  Managed to get through the last chapters with no tears or sobbing for the first time in probably 40 years. 

I'm trying to do less re-reading and pick up some new stuff.  I have read a couple of the "Robert Galbraith" (JK Rowling) books about Cormoran Strike and am now on "Lethal White."  It's a good series, sprinkled with interesting British-isms in language and behavior and good mysteries/crime solving action.

Ironically I learned of Moorcock through the fact the American heavy metal band Cirith Ungol used the artist for his books on their album covers. Lo and behold it only took four years, but I finally read Elric of Melniboné! (Not a fan of Gaiman's foreword though :sick:).

Spoiler

IMG_20220730_032651885.thumb.jpg.afeedc833b0d55a7907eb736840c20ba.jpg