• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2023 at 7:55 PM, lizards2 said:

Just finished Out Killing Indians by Rick Steber. It was very good - did not end where the book was leading me.

Now reading Recovering insufficiently_thoughtful_person by Ben Casper. Apparently, there is no recovery part.

You should really read "Scales to Rags to Riches" by the GEICO lizard. There's a lot in there I bet you could identify with.

Just finished "The Golden Lion" by Wilbur Smith, who is one of Stephen King's favorite writers. He does historical fiction with a fast paced action oriented approach. This one featured privateers and pirates from the mid 1800's in the Zanzibar neighborhood. It was a real page turner. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Dropping by to recommend a new biography called The Art Thief, by Michael Finkel. 

It's a book about Stephane Breitwieser, an obsessive thief who over the course of his career pulled off more than 200 heists and stole an estimated 2 billion, with a B, in artwork, sculptures, antique instruments, weaponry and so on.

The most interesting part is that he kept it all -- he was building up what he hoped would be the greatest collection of art in private hands in modern times. 

So, you know -- collecting, obsessions, perhaps a borderline hoarding disorder...nothing that I or possibly anyone else here can identify with, I'm sure! 

Just finished "The Cabinet of Dr. Leng" by Preston and Childs ... another fine Pendergast adventure... well, half of one...those bastiches continued the story. :tonofbricks:

I'm now on "Sign Talker", by James Alexander Thom. A historical novel about the Lewis and Clark expedition, as seen through the eyes of George Drouillard, their half breed Indian scout and interpreter. Fantastic work, as always. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Dean Koontz has some good ones too

Can't remember the name of the book but one at the start of the book he looked up and looked in the mirror and it seemed he was in a house that had aged 300 years without him. I just looked it up think it's called The Taking. Amazing book. Check that out if you haven't read it.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

I’ve decided to read a few well-known older books this summer.

the 1st was 20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne.  All I can say is “Incredible”

the second book is the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.  I’m only halfway through the book, but I’m enthralled by this man’s accomplishments.  Truly a fascinating man!

I just read a couple of short ones...

The first was After Many a Summer, a short novella by Tim Powers, who is one of my favourites. His current work is sort of dark(ish) urban fantasy where gangsters, street people and other marginalized folk engage with secret magic. This was a good example of what he does, focused on European gangsters, seedy film executives and a hapless courier competing for control of a shrunken head that can predict the future. Since it's a limited edition, the curious may want to wait for a larger short story collection to read, but it's pretty good.

The second was Armageddon 2419 AD, the original Buck Rogers novel from the 1920s. This is definitely one that has not stood up well to the passage of time... it was terrible - turgid prose, poor plotlines, one-dimensional characters, endless pages of nonsensical pseudoscience bafflegab on the properties of imaginary metals, and huge dollops of racism and sexism. It's not long, and I forced myself through it for reasons of "historical research", but man, was it terrible.

Just finished Sunset and Jericho by my friend Sam Wiebe. The latest in his acclaimed hardboiled detective series set in the underbelly of Vancouver. Captures the grittier side of Lotusland perfectly, as well as the social issues, economic pressure and general feel of life in one of the most expensive cities in North America. 

Great read, and has me very excited for the next entry in the Wakeland series.

Sunset and Jericho: A Wakeland Novel : Wiebe, Sam: Amazon.ca: Books

Edited by rlextherobot