• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I've decided to go back to my Michael Moorcock/Eternal Champion Sequence read-through, after getting abandoning it a few years ago when I reached Mother London (I just...absolutely could not get through that book. At all. And I hate not finishing books). Skipping that and re-starting with the next book, King of the City...which...is not going very well either, lol.

I keep starting and stopping "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielweski. I keep getting sidetracked, but I like the first 50 pages so far... xD

I also just read The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine by Steve Rinella - if you enjoy cooking, hunting, eating game, etc., it's a really interesting read and Rinella's narrative style is great. Non-fiction; the author finds a 100-year-old cookbook and sets out to find all the strange ingredients by hunting and gathering so he can cook an epic multi-course meal from the cookbook. My neighbor recently got to do a bear hunt and shared some of the meat with us, and I made an awesome bear stew based on one of Rinella's recipes.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/31/2022 at 11:34 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I keep starting and stopping "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielweski. I keep getting sidetracked, but I like the first 50 pages so far... xD

I also just read The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine by Steve Rinella - if you enjoy cooking, hunting, eating game, etc., it's a really interesting read and Rinella's narrative style is great. Non-fiction; the author finds a 100-year-old cookbook and sets out to find all the strange ingredients by hunting and gathering so he can cook an epic multi-course meal from the cookbook. My neighbor recently got to do a bear hunt and shared some of the meat with us, and I made an awesome bear stew based on one of Rinella's recipes.

One Christmas I got my Mom and Dad a combination Field Guide/ Cookbook for wild mushrooms. I wish I could remember the title. It even showed pictures of the poisonous ones that you DON'T want to eat. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The Queen's Gambit-picked it up at coffeeshop on a lark-thought it would be boring but one of the best books I have ever readed.  Highly recommend.
Turns out he also wrote the man who fell to earth, the hustler, and the color of money.

Just finished Depraved by Bryan Smith. Ever see the movie Wrong Turn? Kinda like that. Normally, I would've stopped when I found out how much sex was in it, but it's about cannibals ... so stopping was not an option. (thumbsu

I cannot recommend highly enough the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin. By far, the best apocalyptic book(s) I ever read.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:31 AM, kav said:

The Queen's Gambit-picked it up at coffeeshop on a lark-thought it would be boring but one of the best books I have ever readed.  Highly recommend.
Turns out he also wrote the man who fell to earth, the hustler, and the color of money.

Loved that book and show

On 5/3/2022 at 1:31 AM, kav said:

Huge fan of the actress.  If sidney sweeny doesn't play black cat, this is my second pick.  

giphy.gif

On 5/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, Wolverinex said:

Huge fan of the actress.  If sidney sweeny doesn't play black cat, this is my second pick.  

giphy.gif

247990028_2025506094289790_865092133039554570_n.jpg.424a143c69bff218ef61a633c1e49544.jpg.33a2783731be7a35fe5b11293be0d0a8.jpg

Reading two books right now. Allow Me to Retort: a Black Guy’s Guide to the Constitution and The 1619 Project. Both amazing. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:28 PM, spidey300 said:

Currently reading The Three Investigators in the Mystery of the Silver Spider. LOVED this series as a kid, and just as enjoyable as an adult.

That is a blast from the past.  Really enjoyed those.

:golfclap:

I'm reading Robert Kaplan's Adriatic.

I'm a big Kaplan fan - he's usually an excellent mix of history, strategy and geopolitics. In this instance, though, he's writing a sort of literary history of the Adriatic region, and portraying it as the cultural birthplace of a new European identity. I've spent a fair bit of time in the region, and his argument isn't always convincing.

Overall, the book is OK, but not up to his usual standard. 

adriatic.jpg

Edited by Brock