• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the Biggest of the BSDs?

103 posts in this topic

boy do I have a bruised ego my name is not mentioned once...boo hoo hoo...

oh you guys are talking about comics not actual big swinging richards.....I feel much better now. HAR HAR HARDEE HAR HAR sumo.gifsumo.gifangel.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsleeping.gifjuggle.gif

i dunno. The way some people complain here about youse guys, I sometimes think you COULD quaklify as the biggest BSD in the bizness: as long as the S is for swinging "fists" and the D is for that other meaning of the D word as in "you stupid 'D'" HAR HAR HARDEE HAR HAR sumo.gifsumo.gifangel.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsleeping.gifjuggle.gif

sticks and stones...whatever...I guess I am a bad guy because I don't take people's [!@#%^&^] and I care about my reputation. I would like to see how you would react if people got to comment on your business or job on a daily basis on a public format. Think about how you would feel if someone could slander your good name with no repurcussions whenever they want to. I have spent the better part of half my life building up my name and reputation from nothing and I do not take it lightly when people make false allegations or mean spirited remarks about me, my partner, employees, company or friends in the hobby.

-and no I am not angry, I gave up on getting really upset with half the junk that is spewed forth on this forum- I simply try to enjoy myself on the forum. I think there are a lot of nice people out there that I share a lot in common with. I am still amazed at how many people like Deathlok and the Vision (refering to top ten fav hero post).

Sincerely,

Vincent

(Im ducking now....somebody tell me, are they angry?????)

oh you guys are talking about comics not actual big swinging richards.....I feel much better now. HAR HAR HARDEE HAR HAR sumo.gifsumo.gifangel.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsleeping.gifjuggle.gif

i dunno. The way some people complain here about youse guys, I sometimes think you COULD quaklify as the biggest BSD in the bizness: as long as the S is for swinging "fists" and the D is for that other meaning of the D word as in "you stupid 'D'" HAR HAR HARDEE HAR HAR sumo.gifsumo.gifangel.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsleeping.gifjuggle.gif

sticks and stones...whatever...I guess I am a bad guy because I don't take people's [!@#%^&^] and I care about my reputation. I would like to see how you would react if people got to comment on your business or job on a daily basis on a public format. Think about how you would feel if someone could slander your good name with no repurcussions whenever they want to. I have spent the better part of half my life building up my name and reputation from nothing and I do not take it lightly when people make false allegations or mean spirited remarks about me, my partner, employees, company or friends in the hobby.

-and no I am not angry, I gave up on getting really upset with half the junk that is spewed forth on this forum- I simply try to enjoy myself on the forum. I think there are a lot of nice people out there that I share a lot in common with. I am still amazed at how many people like Deathlok and the Vision (refering to top ten fav hero post).

Sincerely,

Vincent

(/quote]

I LOVE YOU MAN !!!!!!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

As for Vison and Deathlok, yep you gotta love em 893applaud-thumb.gif

If its total value then it would be between Chuck R and Dave Anderson.

But I don't think anyone really knows what all Dave Anderson and Chuck really have in their personal collections.

I think the other two would be a distance third and forth out of the four you listed.

Chuck collects pottery ( http://www.pueblotreasures.com/ ). He doesn't collect comics. His business has a lot of comics, but he has none in his personal collection.

To answer the spirit of the original question, I think it's generally accepted that Dave Anderson (The Dentist) has the top private comic collection. As far as I'm concerned he could whittle his collection down to two books and he'd STILL have the world's top collection.

To me, the most impressive dealer stock/ collection is Metropolis', (and that's not just to make Vincent feel loved 27_laughing.gif) Other people may have more books, but no one inspires the same geeked out joy in me that Metropolis' selection does. And that's ignoring the stuff that's not for sale- the incredible art and movie poster collection.

Sincerely,

Vincent

(Im ducking now....somebody tell me, are they angry?????)

15_4_101.gif Ya know and I know that the "S" in BSD is intendend - or is usually used for a derogatory remark and for the most part there are reasons for the cliche. I mean having never met Brulato his short temper tamtum fit in here pretty much fit the stereotype to a tee - just because you own the highest GRADED copy of ASM #1 doesnt mean that your opinion and for that matter CGC's is always right, the X-men #94 was a MISCUT and all the HG keys in the world cant change that.10_1_131.gif

However, I'm gonna come to Vinvent's defense here for a bit. If his initial foray into this forum was on par with Brulato's, THE NOW CLASSIC WHEELS ARE IN MOTION comment. Then his subsequent posts 300+ of them now have been for the most part the exact opposite - and I'm not pandering here, I was one of the harshest critics of the WHEELS comment and made some really nasty (for me) remarks related to it. But from the discussions, to the talk radio info, to just posting what I would refer to as fanboy 893applaud-thumb.gif stuff I think that Vince has done everything contrary to the BSD cliche image.

So Vince, dont be 9_9.gif' border=0> because sometimes NOT making the list is a good thing hahaha. thumbsup2.gif

Chuck may still have these in his personal collection.. at least it seems that way from his columns:

"All I was left with were the Red Raven #1, all the issues of The Spirit from Quality and Fiction House, and about 100 mixed issues that had piqued my personal interest."

He may have sold them since.

Chuck may still have these in his personal collection.. at least it seems that way from his columns:

"All I was left with were the Red Raven #1, all the issues of The Spirit from Quality and Fiction House, and about 100 mixed issues that had piqued my personal interest."

He may have sold them since.

I'm assuming these were the the Church copies?

Sincerely,

Vincent

Dont worry Vincent, I was just tweaking you guys.

You have more than made up for those unfortunate words to Ian way back when with a great attitude and menaingful posts since then. AND the radio show.

Im sure we both know you give just as well as you get in this business, but I'm contunually impressed by your ability to roll with the punches here w/o lashing back. You guys have movie posters too??

Taken from one of my favorite books - Liars Poker the term BSD means Big Swinging D**K. Bond traders coined the term for guys who made the big trade and joined the "club". Very juvenille but totally true from my side of the table when I see guys proclaiming "Mine is the best", I have the largest blah blah blah, etc.

Taken from one of my favorite books - Liars Poker the term BSD means Big Swinging D**K. Bond traders coined the term for guys who made the big trade and joined the "club". Very juvenille but totally true from my side of the table when I see guys proclaiming "Mine is the best", I have the largest blah blah blah, etc.

But Bob, with all due respect, don't dealers count on that mentality to fuel not a small portion of their business. I mean, on your website you've got your list of big, expensive sales.......which I think is entirely appropriate, and which focuses on the money value and quality of the sale. I think it's a little hypocritical to bash folks like the ones you mentioned without realizing that we all have a little bit of it in us, and it's all part of the dance. I mean, for every "Look What I BOUGHT!" list, there's a "Look What I SOLD!" list. confused-smiley-013.gif

notables.jpg

But Bob, with all due respect, don't dealers count on that mentality to fuel not a small portion of their business. I mean, on your website you've got your list of big, expensive sales.......which I think is entirely appropriate, and which focuses on the money value and quality of the sale. I think it's a little hypocritical to bash folks like the ones you mentioned without realizing that we all have a little bit of it in us, and it's all part of the dance. I mean, for every "Look What I BOUGHT!" list, there's a "Look What I SOLD!" list. confused-smiley-013.gif

notables.jpg

I would say it's ego, from both sides, but it's also good PR from both sides. The BSD collectors want to loudly proclaim what they have so that dealers and other collectors will continue to bring them the best books first. The BSD dealers want to loudly proclaim what they've sold so that collectors and other dealers will continue to come to them to both get the best books and also to sell the best books.

My notable sales is not meant to "fuel" the ego but identify that I've had and sold books that collectors have been looking for. Since I don't keep "pending sales" on my site for months how would anybody know that I even bought and sold some of the same keys that my competitors have?

I am proud that I've sold the books on my site. Besides I don't deny that I'm a Big swinging Daking and rose petals should be thrown on the floor when I enter the room.

The other thing that keeps me out of the "god" status is that I don't have posse's following me around hanging on every word I say!

I'm getting this mental image of Bob walking down a show floor flanked by a whole host of middle aged white guys.

anyway... rose petals? when you enter? let's think of something a bit more masculine... it isn't your wedding day... you're a BSD at a comic show damnit!