• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread!

60 posts in this topic

AStyxmodels.jpg

I'm currently in the process of uploading a new batch of pictures of my comic room that The MAN just took. These I'll be posting in the Comic Room thread later this week.

:cool:

And the man has a black cat to boot. Nice. I've found felines like to "help" with building models which is both funny, cute, and sucky all at the same time.

AStyxmodels.jpg

I'm currently in the process of uploading a new batch of pictures of my comic room that The MAN just took. These I'll be posting in the Comic Room thread later this week.

:cool:

And the man has a black cat to boot. Nice. I've found felines like to "help" with building models which is both funny, cute, and sucky all at the same time.

I'm starting to wonder how many model building comic collectors there are out there. hm

There's some nice stuff in that case - those Aurora monsters are cool.

As for DVD/Blu-Ray don't hold your breath. Disney will not be releasing this movie anytime soon due to its (admittedly moderate) stereotypical characterizations. They just won't go there. Your best bet (although expensive) is to get the Japanese Laser Disc assuming you have or don't mind getting a Laser Disc player. If that won't do bootleg VCR's exist that you can pick up somewhere. It is a great movie and we can only hope that Disney releases it in a historical collection someday.

Disney should just get Leonard Maltin or some other historian to do an intro on the DVD explaining the historical context of the story and the movie. I believe they did this with some of their short subjects that would be considered offensive by modern standards.

I think it is very unlikely simply because the depiction in their cartoons is probably a little easier to take than the depiction by a live actor in the case of Song of the South. Maybe this will happen but I suspect it won't be for quite some time yet. Too bad, as this is a great movie. Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!!

You may be right. Corporations these days live in fear of that element of society so determined to be politically correct that they are opposed to just about everything. Check out this blog posting on Brer Rabbit:

Racist Garbage

:eyeroll:

I watched song of the south on a bootleg DVD a few years back that I borrowed from a friend. They are out there but the quality was suspect. Still great fun to see again after all these years.

At times I've wanted to chase the FC issues, now I'm reminded why. Thanks for sharing your passion. This is what makes the boards so great.

As for DVD/Blu-Ray don't hold your breath. Disney will not be releasing this movie anytime soon due to its (admittedly moderate) stereotypical characterizations. They just won't go there..... It is a great movie and we can only hope that Disney releases it in a historical collection someday.

I'd be more interested in seeing a book reprinting all the Sunday newspaper strips released by King Features Syndicate. I'm surmising that it's King Features Syndicate and not Disney that holds the copyright to these strips.

(shrug)

As for DVD/Blu-Ray don't hold your breath. Disney will not be releasing this movie anytime soon due to its (admittedly moderate) stereotypical characterizations. They just won't go there..... It is a great movie and we can only hope that Disney releases it in a historical collection someday.

I'd be more interested in seeing a book reprinting all the Sunday newspaper strips released by King Features Syndicate. I'm surmising that it's King Features Syndicate and not Disney that holds the copyright to these strips.

(shrug)

The mouse doesn't give away anything, sorry but that is a Disney copyright so don't hold your breath.

5472104815_0e85edc2e8_o.jpg

According to the Song of the South site on the web, the Splash Mountain ride at Disneyworld is one of the last places you will see these guys.

Disneyland has a Splash Mountain too but if you want the ultimate in Song of the South playlands you need to head to Tokyo Disneyland which has an entire land (like Fantasyland, Tomorrowland) themed around Song of the South. I was there about 15 years ago and it is really quite an amazing place.

Have you considered looking into collecting any of the record albums? The 78 RPM records are particularly nice with some nice artwork gracing the covers.

Yes, I've looked into the records and cassettes because they do indeed have fabulous artwork. I have several, including the 78 rpm box set:

TalesofUncleRemus.jpg

SongoftheSouthLP.jpg

BrerRabbitandtheTarBabyRecord.jpg

SongoftheSouthCassette.jpg

I also have several of the Golden Press picture books which my buddy Balticboy is looking over in these pics:

CowboyBrerRabbit.jpg

UncleRemusBooks.jpg

LittleGoldenBooksUncleRemus.jpg

:headbang:

Have you considered looking into collecting any of the record albums? The 78 RPM records are particularly nice with some nice artwork gracing the covers.

Yes, I've looked into the records and cassettes because they do indeed have fabulous artwork. I have several, including the 78 rpm box set:

I also have several of the Golden Press picture books which my buddy Balticboy is looking over in these pics:

CowboyBrerRabbit.jpg

Bondage photos!

Shocking.

Jack

TalesofUncleRemus.jpg

Very nice. I really like the 78 RPM record set.

Is there a market for those Disneyland records? I picked up a bunch at a sale last year because they were fun and cheap and would like to sell some of them. The nicest one is the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh which is rare and for me is a keeper as I really love the image on that one.

Hi all,

Someone will probably scream bloody murder for posting this here. I just can't resist since I have such a beautiful copy of #129 for sale or rather auction right now.

Four Color #129 Brer Rabbit CGC 9.2

It is a beautiful copy of a hard to find book. Someone will surely appreciate getting the book. I just lowered the reserve also.

Thanks for looking

Hi all,

Someone will probably scream bloody murder for posting this here. I just can't resist since I have such a beautiful copy of #129 for sale or rather auction right now.

It is a beautiful copy of a hard to find book. Someone will surely appreciate getting the book. I just lowered the reserve also.

Thanks for looking

Where's that scream greamlin?

Hi all,

Thanks for looking

Allow me. You just don't get it do you? There is a section for posting your books listed elsewhere. It's bad enough that you do nothing on the boards but post there. Now you're spamming the rest of the forum? Ridiculously rude.

While we're at it. Care to tell us the reserves on your books? Apparently you're really worried that they might not get enough between the spam and the reserves.

This thread has been dead for quite sometime now. :facepalm:

I will be breathing some new life into it very soon with some newly claimed Song of the South & Uncle Remus collectibles! :headbang:

Stay tuned my friends! (thumbs u

P.S. - You'll have some very nice items posted! (worship)