• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Milgrom

120 posts in this topic

I never enjoyed his art, but I felt that he was the perfect compliment to Ron Lim's pencils. Check out g-man's Lim/Milgrom Silver Surfer VS. Thanos piece to see what I'm talking about here.

His inking isn't bad. His pencilling is abysmal.

Just crack open any issue of Secret Wars II. Al's supreme suckiness is on display for all to see. Makes Liefeld nearly look attractive by comparison.

Never have I thought of that...this was insanely :roflmao:

if you grew up in the 80s, you probably disliked Al Milgrom's work.

chunky, stiff, heavy line work, rushed...all words i would use to describe the vast, vast majority of his output in the late Bronze/early Copper period.

as someone who got his subscription titles through the mail, whenever i'd open that box and see an Al Milgrom cover, i died a little inside. maybe that's pushing it a bit, but i'm strapped for a decent metaphor at the moment

as someone who got his subscription titles through the mail, whenever i'd open that box and see an Al Milgrom cover, i died a little inside. maybe that's pushing it a bit, but i'm strapped for a decent metaphor at the moment

It's almost a crime that a classic issue like Avengers annual 10 with that gorgeous interior Mike Golden art has that godawful Milgrom cover.

The name Al Milgrom signifies the decline of the American comic book. His work during the 1980s was just awful. It became clear that Marvel Comics was just resting on past laurels and churning out to get comics on the newsstand quickly. Most storylines and art were devoid of any integrity or talent.

I mean, just look at this . Does this make you want to spend your 75 cents?

About 20 years ago I asked a Marvel staffer about Milgrom at a Diamond retailer event. He gave me an answer that I have heard a couple longtime Marvel creators since repeat: Milgrom was paired with people they KNEW were going to push their deadlines, or given jobs where others had blown it. He was the guy they gave something to at the last microsecond because they knew to a certainty he could get the job done in the time given to him.

He was very capable of nice work when given adequate circumstances in which to do it. And in general he deserves more respect than he gets. Turning work around on a dime is all too often necessary in a periodical business. Shouldn't be, but it is.

The name Al Milgrom signifies the decline of the American comic book. His work during the 1980s was just awful. It became clear that Marvel Comics was just resting on past laurels and churning out to get comics on the newsstand quickly. Most storylines and art were devoid of any integrity or talent.

About 20 years ago I asked a Marvel staffer about Milgrom at a Diamond retailer event. He gave me an answer that I have heard a couple longtime Marvel creators since repeat: Milgrom was paired with people they KNEW were going to push their deadlines, or given jobs where others had blown it. He was the guy they gave something to at the last microsecond because they knew to a certainty he could get the job done in the time given to him.

He was very capable of nice work when given adequate circumstances in which to do it. And in general he deserves more respect than he gets. Turning work around on a dime is all too often necessary in a periodical business. Shouldn't be, but it is.

I can respect that..I would dress up in a Chucky Cheese custome to entertain kids in order to put food on the table...pushing deadlines....one's gotta do, what one's gotta do....

Mike Sekowsky was another artist who could knock out a story on the quick.

And it shows. His stuff makes my eyes hurt.

We can add Don Heck to that list.

I'd like to add Frank Quietly and Humberto Ramos to the list of top 5 most horrible artists.

This list is going to be quite lengthy.

I agree. Al showed both ends of the spectrum with his artwork. Who knows how much time he had to work on certain books before the deadline. He worked during a time period when comics were an everyday part of my life. His work has more meaning to me than just the pencils or inks.

Milgrom is certainly in the top five worst artists of all time. Go look at his West Coast Avengers work and tell me that a blind arthritic chimp under attack from a cattle prod couldn't do better. :/

Totally agree...I remember (painfully) him for his awful covers. For some inexplicable reason, he became the primary cover artist for Marvel in the early 1980's and continued for a few years. Absolutely horrible, putrid work...in fact I think the quality of his child-like covers was one of the main reasons I lost interest in new comics back then. :sumo:

I have an idea for all you guys here that think aI milgrom, Frank Springer ( not nice to talk bad about dead people), Frank Quietly, Herb trimpe, ect suck.

DRAW A COVER QUALITY PIECE. Then put it up here for everybody to judge. If your work is better than the people you trash then by all means keep trashing them. other wise STFU.

I'd like to add Frank Quietly and Humberto Ramos to the list of top 5 most horrible artists.

Don't forget Herb Trimpe and George Tuska!

I've had enough of this thread, you guys are killing me.

I know that's sarcasm, right, 32pages?

:slapfight: quitely is a wonderful artist! The only thing that got me to buy xmen again was his work with morrisson.

Don't forget Herb Trimpe and George Tuska!

I've had enough of this thread, you guys are killing me.

I know that's sarcasm, right, 32pages?

Yeaaaaaah, right (that was sarcasm).

Please add Frank Springer, Frank Robbins, and Sprang to the list!

All of you guys suck, and are completely disrespectful. These artist are employed because people other then the few here BUY their art, and books.

I seriously doubt that ANY of you can draw 32, yet alone, ONE page of a comic.

You guys remind me of when I go to the strip club with my friend Guido. I'll be like, "look at that babe" and he'll be like "she's not doing it for me." He's looking for the one, the one that will get a rise in him. I'm like, I get a rise from all of them. His standards are so high that he can't see the beauty in anyone.