• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF PRESSING ISN'T RESTORATION.....

217 posts in this topic

are you saying from a CGC or RAW standpoint, or both?

Maybe the answer is: the fear of the impact it might have on the collectible's value. confused-smiley-013.gif

If pressing isn't resto....then why would such disclosure have an impact? confused-smiley-013.gif

because pressing is restoration. grin.gif

Now I really don;t see much impact on older books. I would certainly see an impact on BA and newer books and on later SA as well. Earlier SA? Hmmm - probably would have more of an impact too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The actual answer is simple:

The fact that the book has been pressed, MIGHT (I said might), have an impact on the final sale price as there are some people (like you) who do not like it.

That said, why would any seller want to say the book has been pressed, and then see other sellers not disclose it? They WOULDN'T!

At this point in time CGC has determined that Pressing a book is not considered Restoration (even if you do).

Please take a look at the ABUNDANCE of high grade scan on Heritage's Signature Auction site. A lot of Gold and early Silver-Age books looks like someone WIPED their $SS on the back cover, yet some of the grades are VF's or better. And check out all the copies of Avengers #4 in VF/NM or better. The color of the White cover, looks like someone urinated on it. Yet, CGC doesn't downgrade for that (or at least not much). shocked.gif

My point is CGC HAS determined at this time what is, and what isn't restoration, just like they have determined (and I disagree with), that the aging, yellowing, dust shadows, foxing, etc. prevalent on many books, does not have much if any effect on the grade.

Somethings we just have to learn to live with. flowerred.gif

Beyonder you devil.gif but he asked a very simple question and I think that the implicit explanation given so far is that CGC does not consider it to be resoration. From this statement it follows that CGC is the defining opinion on this subject and AGAIN illustrates an interesting development in the comic book kingdom.

Without full disclosure of their criteria CGC has been able to set the criteria for the comic marketplace. news.gif

An enviable position to say the least. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Beyonder you devil.gif but he asked a very simple question and I think that the implicit explanation given so far is that CGC does not consider it to be resoration.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The implication is not necessarily that CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration, the implication is that pressing is a reality of the hobby that CGC can't prove was done intentionally. It's not a matter of them defining it as restoration or not, it's a matter of physical evidence--in most cases, there is very little of it to support whether a press has intentionally occurred or not. And if it's done well, there is NO conclusive physical evidence.

Essentially, sfilosa is right--you learn to live with it, or you get out. The same phenomenon exists in the other hobbies as well.

Without full disclosure of their criteria CGC has been able to set the criteria for the comic marketplace. news.gif

An enviable position to say the least. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well said, Jason!

Let's take an example of another highly contentious, subjective field: pro sports. While many decisions and interpretations of rules in the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball can be debated hotly, at least each sport has an official rule book to which fans, players and officials can all refer.

So, much like a book that has been resubbed and gone from 9.0 to 9.2, you can argue from a perceptual standpoint whether a home run ball did in fact land in fair territory, or whether a fielder actually applied the tag to a baserunner, or whether a basketball was on its way down and therefore goal-tended, etc.

But what other marketplace or "forum" or "field" exists where the people making up the rules don't have to disclose them, can change them at any time, and will only acknowledge their own oversights and errors retroactively when those mistakes are made public ?