• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver or Golden Age Gem Should I Build A War Chest For?

109 posts in this topic

Brave and the Bold 28

Wonder Woman 1

Detective 359

I don't know about Wonder Woman 1, but B&B 28 and Tec 359 are both good suggestions.

As for Tec 255 mentioned earlier, given that no one really cares about the Martian Manhunter right now, isn't that book grossly overvalued?

I would not spend that kind of cash on the first Batgirl. And yes, in my opinion, Detective #225 while tough in grade, is not really that desirable of a book for any other reason.

I would think you could get several Marvel keys if you were willing to take 4.5 - 5.0 copies.

Whoever gave this advice was correct, buy what you like. If you just spend the money on any old book that someone suggests, you won't really be happy with the purchase.

All right everyone. Any suggestions?

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

I would probably post around here more often but inevitably someone has already posted along the same lines of what I was thinking. :)

You could get a nice copy of X-Men #1 for that kind of scratch!

That's on my list, but going to wait until after the movie hype dies.

Is there really an uptick on this book right now?

I'd go for AF15. I don't think there is a downside on that book for a long time to come.

Detective Comics #168.
This is such an awesome book that I'm mad at you for bringing more attention to it and because I can't afford an upgrade to my coverless copy.

OK...Here are the suggestions thus far.

All Star 8

Batman #11

Detective Comics #168

Detective Comics #225

TOS #39

Wonder Woman 1

Detective 359

AF 15

ASM 1

Hulk 1

Left off Iron Man 1, B&B 28 and FF 1 (I've already got them) but might consider upgrading. Many of you also suggested buying what I like which is good advice. The benefit of starting a thread like this is getting suggestions from an incredibly knowledgable group. There are a few books that were suggested that I'd never have thought about otherwise. Thanks to everyone. Keep 'em coming.

All right everyone. Any suggestions?

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

Great advice. If it was your war chest, what would you get?

The only book I would save up for over a long period of time is AF 15, but I wouldn't stop building at 4-5K.

Me too.

Find me a nice 5.0 please. (thumbs u

Brave and the Bold 28

Wonder Woman 1

Detective 359

I don't know about Wonder Woman 1, but B&B 28 and Tec 359 are both good suggestions.

As for Tec 255 mentioned earlier, given that no one really cares about the Martian Manhunter right now, isn't that book grossly overvalued?

I would not spend that kind of cash on the first Batgirl. And yes, in my opinion, Detective #225 while tough in grade, is not really that desirable of a book for any other reason.

I would think you could get several Marvel keys if you were willing to take 4.5 - 5.0 copies.

Whoever gave this advice was correct, buy what you like. If you just spend the money on any old book that someone suggests, you won't really be happy with the purchase.

I agree that spending $4k to $5k on a Tec 359, but half that for a 9.2 would be nice if, like me, you're a big Batgirl fan. I think $3k+ for a 9.4+ is probably a bit of overkill.

Personal opinion ... there are some minor, below the radar, Marvel Keys that would look good in any collection.

I'd love to pick up a decent Sgt. Fury #1, Strange Tales #101 and/or Tales to Astonish #27 (great browns on this cover).

Personal opinion ... there are some minor, below the radar, Marvel Keys that would look good in any collection.

I'd love to pick up a decent Sgt. Fury #1, Strange Tales #101 and/or Tales to Astonish #27 (great browns on this cover).

Great suggestions. I've got a lower grade Sgt. Fury #1 that I'm currently try to upgrade and have always wanted a Strange Tales #101.

If you're going for Silver Age, Tales of Suspense 39 in the best possible grade with a Stan Lee signature to boot (or not--depends on whether you like SS ;) )

If you're leaning more towards Golden Age, go after the best possible Pre-Robin Tec. I personally want a Batman 1, but if I was strictly looking at investing, these books are freakin' blue chips. And they ARE ridiculously cool too FWIW.

Don't have GPA or a guide with me so not sure if all of these will meet your requirements.

Brave and the Bold #28

Sgt. Fury #1

All Star #8

All American #61

Fantastic #3

Early or war cover Actions

Pre-Robin Tecs

If it's not so much about money and/or maybe buying two books instead of one.

Golden-age Red Skull appearances (unless they have spiked due to the movie)

Planet #1

Silver Streak #6

Daring Mystery #1

Human Torch #8

Strange Tales #110

Adventure #79

Seven Seas #4

Blue Beetle #54

More Fun #73

Red Raven #1

Target Comics #7

If you're going for Silver Age, Tales of Suspense 39 in the best possible grade with a Stan Lee signature to boot (or not--depends on whether you like SS ;) )

If you're leaning more towards Golden Age, go after the best possible Pre-Robin Tec. I personally want a Batman 1, but if I was strictly looking at investing, these books are freakin' blue chips. And they ARE ridiculously cool too FWIW.

More votes for TOS 39 and Tecs!

Don't have GPA or a guide with me so not sure if all of these will meet your requirements.

Brave and the Bold #28

Sgt. Fury #1

All Star #8

All American #61

Fantastic #3

Early or war cover Actions

Pre-Robin Tecs

If it's not so much about money and/or maybe buying two books instead of one.

Golden-age Red Skull appearances (unless they have spiked due to the movie)

Planet #1

Silver Streak #6

Daring Mystery #1

Human Torch #8

Strange Tales #110

Adventure #79

Seven Seas #4

Blue Beetle #54

More Fun #73

Red Raven #1

Target Comics #7

Thanks. Adding the Blue Beetle 54 to the list!