• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) second highest graded copy on CC

79 posts in this topic

I guess Captain Marvel ended up getting moved into the Black Bolt and Bulletman category of superhero character importance after the 80's. He's just not relevant anymore. (shrug)

Maybe he's not in the current mind's eye of many collectors but he is arguably one of the most important characters of the entire Golden Age.

(thumbs u

7.0 range is around $30,000 in OSPG.

That doesn't sound like much compared to all the other key sales we've seen lately.

It's a big book in affordable range. You can get VG's of #2-10 for under $1,000 each if at OSPG.

Fine was $21,000 and VF was $40,000 on this one.

I could see DC making a great movie out of Captain Marvel and then this book will really take off again. In the meantime I bet someone gets a pretty sweet (well if you call spending $25-50K on a comic sweet) deal on this book. It is beautiful, has me thinking as I have always thought Captain Marvel was a great hero and was lucky enough to have been the perfect age (12) for the Shazam revival.

The Steranko History of Comics came out with a big feature on the good Captain. My Dad got a huge kick out of looking at those books and pointing out all the books he had or his friends had including Special Edition #1. I remember drooling over one of those at an early New York show but the $100. price tag was way beyond my reach. Then the Shazam book came out and I got to read new stories by CC Beck and became a big fan.

This is good news for all of you who have been buying Fawcetts on the cheap, or bad news as the case may be.

The Overstreet guide has NM- at $95,000 with a footnote that the only mint copy sold in 1995 for $176,000 cash.

According to GPA, a 6.0 sold for $16,000 in 2005. That seems amazingly low for this book. A 5.5 sold for $21,275 in 2006.

If I had the money I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It's so undervalued.

A fantastic looking example!

But who collects and or cares about Captain Marvel (or due to copyrights by Marvel now, do I call him "Shazam" now)?

A waste of $$$$

:jokealert: That's a freaking sweet book in any shape!

:o The audacity!

I was 100% joking of course. :foryou:

A mondo grail of a book. :cloud9:

I remember the old "want" lists of the major buyers from the 80's as well, this was always on their radar. Now, not so much. This is the first Whiz #2 I've seen offered in forever! Beautiful copy as well. (thumbs u

I could see DC making a great movie out of Captain Marvel and then this book will really take off again.

I can't see it. He's too much of a goody-goody stiff, which doesn't play to today's audiences who always want something darker or flawed.

Superman is basically the same character and he only got a movie because his movies were more successful in the 1970s and, well, he's Superman. In any event, his most recent movie was pretty much a bomb so I don't see movie execs looking in that direction.

The big concern in buying a book like this is that there aren't a lot of new Captain Marvel fans being created.

In 20 years, most of the people who really thought of this as a big desirable key that they needed to own will have passed on.

I don't see anything that is going to drive this book higher in value down the road.

Note that I don't mean to take away from the coolness of the book. It is a gorgeous copy of a very rare, hugely historically important book. But when you are talking about $30k, most people are going to need some reason to believe that someone will pay them more in the future. I would expect it to continue to very slowly lose ground to the other top tier keys.

I remember the old "want" lists of the major buyers from the 80's as well, this was always on their radar. Now, not so much. This is the first Whiz #2 I've seen offered in forever! Beautiful copy as well. (thumbs u

I could see DC making a great movie out of Captain Marvel and then this book will really take off again.

I can't see it. He's too much of a goody-goody stiff, which doesn't play to today's audiences who always want something darker or flawed.

Superman is basically the same character and he only got a movie because his movies were more successful in the 1970s and, well, he's Superman. In any event, his most recent movie was pretty much a bomb so I don't see movie execs looking in that direction.

If they would give more ground to his mystical side, put him up against a big time bad like Black Adam and finally evolve and refine his character to a more modern version, like they did with every other character over the years, they could give him a darker edge and establish something amazing.

If they can make money with a movie about a guy with wings on his helmet, swinging a hammer, I am sure people will go crazy about Marvel.

The big concern in buying a book like this is that there aren't a lot of new Captain Marvel fans being created.

In 20 years, most of the people who really thought of this as a big desirable key that they needed to own will have passed on.

I don't see anything that is going to drive this book higher in value down the road.

Note that I don't mean to take away from the coolness of the book. It is a gorgeous copy of a very rare, hugely historically important book. But when you are talking about $30k, most people are going to need some reason to believe that someone will pay them more in the future. I would expect it to continue to very slowly lose ground to the other top tier keys.

Like others have mentioned before, major factors that cause these books not to be that popular anymore are

1. that there is no more ongoing storyline about Captain Marvel, so mostly older generations remember or cherish him, while younger generations have no idea about who he is,

2. that even the covers became more cartoonish after a certain point and therefore only the early issues appeal to most people, and

3. that the early issues are very rare, simply don't come up for sale very often and even if they do, they're usually in lower grades, which is also not very appealing to many collectors. So, in order to avoid to have to wait for years to complete a good run, they usually don't even start. Therefore, if the books would circulate a little more, they would be much more desirable.

I am trying hard to put my set together, but it takes a lot of patience to get to the good stuff.

Should point one change and become interesting to younger generations, it won't be a problem at all, but this would depend on the actual publisher, DC.

Agreed, this will be a highlight. I expect funds are being raised as a once in a decade sale. Until three more come out of the closet next year.

Ed

Like others have mentioned before, major factors that cause these books not to be that popular anymore are

1. that there is no more ongoing storyline about Captain Marvel, so mostly older generations remember or cherish him, while younger generations have no idea about who he is,

-----------

wait a sec, isn't he an active character in the DC universe? not enough to sustain a long-term series, but tons of minis and appearances and such, no? i understand they've changed the character (but heck, supes has evolved over the years too) and i guess don't use a lot of the old timey supporting characters, but black adam is still a villian, no? i understand being a second tier DC character might not warrant the same kind of loot, but this isn't like some GA character that Dynamite has tried to revive to the tune of 3,000 copies a month or whatever.

-----------

wait a sec, isn't he an active character in the DC universe? not enough to sustain a long-term series, but tons of minis and appearances and such, no? i understand they've changed the character (but heck, supes has evolved over the years too) and i guess don't use a lot of the old timey supporting characters, but black adam is still a villian, no? i understand being a second tier DC character might not warrant the same kind of loot, but this isn't like some GA character that Dynamite has tried to revive to the tune of 3,000 copies a month or whatever.

Black Adam and Mary Marvel have been much more (actually very) prominent in recent years.

But when you are talking about $30k, most people are going to need some reason to believe that someone will pay them more in the future. I would expect it to continue to very slowly lose ground to the other top tier keys.

--------

$30K doesn't seem like a lot for that book given prices realized on many many other books/far more common examples. AF 15 is way more important, but what kind of copy does $30K get you nowadays and you're probably talking triple digits (or at least dozens) in terms of copies in that grade out there somewhere.

But when you are talking about $30k, most people are going to need some reason to believe that someone will pay them more in the future. I would expect it to continue to very slowly lose ground to the other top tier keys.

--------

$30K doesn't seem like a lot for that book given prices realized on many many other books/far more common examples. AF 15 is way more important, but what kind of copy does $30K get you nowadays and you're probably talking triple digits (or at least dozens) in terms of copies in that grade out there somewhere.

A $30,000 AF15 would maybe be FN++

--------

A $30,000 AF15 would maybe be FN++

Exactly, a 6.5 Marvel from 1963 isn't that hard to find. Pretty sure I have an AF 14 in pretty decent shape.