• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Someone just posted a back cover to Action 13/Detective 28 on eBay with a BIN of $2500.

Thats actually a board member here who posted that. Would be much cheaper to buy the corresponding Adventure or More Fun.

How would you know the difference?

how about action 12/detective 27 back cover match. what other exact matches are out there for this back cover

Someone just posted a back cover to Action 13/Detective 28 on eBay with a BIN of $2500.

Thats actually a board member here who posted that. Would be much cheaper to buy the corresponding Adventure or More Fun.

How would you know the difference?

Most Adventure and More Fun's were cut shorter than Actions and Detectives. Otherwise there is no way to tell. The asking price on ebay is downright silly. You can buy a complete More Fun 44 for $500 and take the back cover from that.

In most cases, corresponding month/year of Action, Detective, Adventure, and More Fun had the same back covers.

It doesnt always match, but in many cases it does. Detective 38 is a unique back cover as it says "To the readers of Detective comics".

The back cover that is up on ebay does not match either Action 13 or Tec 28. In both of those books the boy's shirt is a different color. CGC would pick up on it immediately. I emailed the seller to let him know.

It doesnt always match, but in many cases it does. Detective 38 is a unique back cover as it says "To the readers of Detective comics".

The back cover that is up on ebay does not match either Action 13 or Tec 28. In both of those books the boy's shirt is a different color. CGC would pick up on it immediately. I emailed the seller to let him know.

action 12, tec27, mf43, adventure 38.......... at first glance those back covers look the same from ha.com scans but only confirmation i got so far from gator via haspel is that action 12 and tec27 are exact fit

You're right. The 2 stripes on the firework that the boy is holding are also a different color. I wonder what book that back cover is from.

I was more impressed with action 10,13,19, and 20 in person. The 4.5 grade is right on and with the stock market crash today this might be the time to get the book at a steal. Clearly it is worth 500k in normal conditions, today is not normal

I don't know. Looking at past sales, and considering the page quality on this copy, I think 350K is the right ballpark.

Jeff;

Looks like you nailed this one almost bang on! (thumbs u

With the prices that some of these books are going for, are the early Actions hotter than the pre-Robin 'Tec books right now. I guess this is catch-up time for Supes as the market seems to go in cycles all the time.

I don't know. Looking at past sales, and considering the page quality on this copy, I think 350K is the right ballpark.

Jeff;

With the prices that some of these books are going for, are the early Actions hotter than the pre-Robin 'Tec books right now. I guess this is catch-up time for Supes as the market seems to go in cycles all the time.

I think what we're actually seeing is yet another elevation in the status of the highest graded copy in our hobby. The highest graded copies performed incredibly well, while everything else performed pretty much to expectations.

Jeff;

IMHO, the sales of the 9.0 Action #10 and 9.2 Action #13 have just put Early Actions (outside of #1) on an even higher plateau.

You can always throw the guide out on books like this; but still:

Action #10 in 9.0 guides for $47,558; sold for $258,000.

Action #13 in 9.2 guides for $30,000; sold for $185,000.

For these books to have sold at these figures on a day when the stock market probably didn't help things for some bidders, this is just incredible.

Very tough to say if Early Actions are pulling ahead of Pre-Robin Tecs, but you never know.

I almost wonder if the recently released Superman photo from the new "Man of Steel" film has helped to stir up additional interest in the character, even from an investment standpoint.

We've been waiting for Superman to become "cool" again for years, maybe even decades; and while it's not much to go by, the upcoming film is at least showing promise.

supermanfilm1.jpg

This might seem crazy and OT, but for the last two weeks I have been under the spell of a taste sensation, the middle-eastern spice mix Za’atar, spearheaded by the citrusy bliss of sumac. At some point it occurred to me that old Fred Guardineer might have tasted this stuff too- prior to his 1938 creation of Zatara. The fact that the stuff tastes like magic and is almost ‘backwards speech’ of his name has created a compelling argument for me…

1/4 cup sumac

2 tablespoons thyme

1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds

2 tablespoons marjoram

2 tablespoons oregano

1 teaspoon coarse salt

Wish I’d known about this when I interviewed him! Stuff is great on veggies, meat, cheese, grains, etc. SI HTURT

Pat

(image from GCD but this was probably the first old Action I bought back in mid-1960s…)

539.jpg