• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

35K cash and trade was kicked around but no sale,

B

Sounds as though the AC copy certainly did have an impact on the asking price for this copy.

Pretty agressive asking price for a 4.0 copy at what basically amounts to almost 10X condition guide versus only a bit over 6X guide for the highest graded 9.2 AC copy. :o

Sounds as though it's getting more expensive the lower down you go in grade. No surprise as to the no sale end result.

Actually the negotiations were cut off by the seller, as he ( I ) really does not want to sell the book at this time, so the chance of a sale was better, than not, IMHO,

B

this book (along with other examples of very early Actions) will only rise in price, so if you can sit on the book for awhile (no pressing pun intended), all the better for the seller.

B

Sounds as though the AC copy certainly did have an impact on the asking price for this copy.

Pretty agressive asking price for a 4.0 copy at what basically amounts to almost 10X condition guide versus only a bit over 6X guide for the highest graded 9.2 AC copy. :o

Actually the negotiations were cut off by the seller, as he ( I ) really does not want to sell the book at this time, so the chance of a sale was better, than not, IMHO,

B

and the price range was actually determined before the AC copy ever even came to market (thumbs u

To rephrase myself, the demands for this book, in any grade high or low, seem to be on a scale of 10 to the 5th power, that's wha I'm saying, yall

Edited by Bunky Brian

B

B

and the price range was actually determined before the AC copy ever even came to market (thumbs u

To rephrase myself, the demands for this book, in any grade high or low, seem to be on a scale of 10 to the 5th power, that's wha I'm saying, yall

Well, how about if the book was sitting in a purple slab?

Do you think the demand for this particular book is strong enough to overcome the stigmitizing power of the PLOD to still be able to realize an over guide price? To me, that is the true strength of a book and what quite a few of the real in-demand GA books have been able to achieve so far. hm

Now, those are your real keepers! (thumbs u

Finally got this today... :cloud9:

Seemed like this took forever!

action15med.jpg

action15bkmed.jpg

Even though it's a Restored label, I really don't mind.

This issue has been like a 'mini-grail' to me since I first ran across one years ago!

I just absolutely love the rendition of Superman here and later I learned that Fred Guardineer graduated from Syracuse University in 1935 and loved SU sports! :banana:

(I just saw that there's another copy coming up soon... a 1.8 Universal :o )

I want to extend another big thank you to ComicDonna whom I was able to talk to prior to purchasing this!

Thanks again Mike! :)

Hey, Congrats!

I'm really glad this found a good home, and a Boardie no less! I upgraded this one and decided to try the auction route with it. My only mistake was not sending it to Matt first to check it out. CL got it slabbed for me and it surprisingly came back purple. I'm not sure it would have sold for tons more, but I was sold this as unrestored several years ago by a certain huge dealer of comics who has been bashed enough on these Boards for years with their "questionable" grading. Oh well, enjoy it and definitely get it out of that darned slab and let Matt upgrade it for you.

FISH

B

B

Do you think the demand for this particular book is strong enough to overcome the stigmitizing power of the PLOD to still be able to realize an over guide price? To me, that is the true strength of a book and what quite a few of the real in-demand GA books have been able to achieve so far. hm

I sold a 4.5 SP copy for $6200 earlier this year. Guide is $3408.

B

Hey Mr. Lou, speaking for myself, only, I'm not a buyer for PLOD GA books, Heck I just got used to the idea of pressing, 2c

Edited by Bunky Brian

B

B

Thanks for the info as this is always good to know! (thumbs u

Almost double the OS guide price which is not too bad at all for a PLOD. At the same time, I guess, this also has something to do with the lower price point as it's always easier to get a premium or multiple when the prices are lower. I strongly doubt that this premium will be quite as hefty if we are talking about a 9.2 Action #13 PLOD with a starting OS price point of $30K. This is also probably why we never see premiums to guide on the PLOD's for the high-price GA keys.

The recent uber high grade sale of the Captain America #13 PLOD for some 40% over the top of OS was certainly a pleasant surprise. But I guess the final price was also heavily influenced by the 9.6 grade and to a lesser extent, the Chicago pedigree designation.

Nah........I think you'll do just fine holding onto the book for now.

I believe the early Actions are just starting their move up the charts with a bullet and relatively speaking, are probably where the pre-Robin 'Tec's were about 5 years ago. hm

B

B

And that book has found a home for a long time.

action13.jpg

:o ... Wow!

I guess I don't quite understand this grade!

That (SP) 4.5 FC looks stunning!!!

If an 'Apparent' grade is given for what the book 'looks' like how is that only a 4.5?

Is the BC that bad?

I understand it's a married BC but the spine splits were sealed to the cover to make it seems as if it's a complete book.

I get so confused by these grades sometimes... :frustrated:

If an 'Apparent' grade is given for what the book 'looks' like how is that only a 4.5?

Is the BC that bad?

I understand it's a married BC but the spine splits were sealed to the cover to make it seems as if it's a complete book.

I used to own the back cover. If a better one could be found, the book would grade much higher.

Is the BC that bad?

condition of the interior of the book also comes into play

Is the BC that bad?

condition of the interior of the book also comes into play
The book has a great interior and front cover.

Do you feel like the Apparent grade of 4.5 is accurate?

Well, from everybody's post here who has apparently seen the book, all of the problems with the book sounds as though it is with the back cover.

So, in order to answer your question, I guess we would need a full detailed scan of the back cover, both inside and outside would be preferable. hm