• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGeneral's Introduction

27 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I’ve been a member for a couple of months now, learning more about our hobby, and I thought that I would give you all a little more background on me before I attempt to sell some books.

I have been collecting comics for the past 6 years. The best explanation I have for beginning to collect would be that I had always followed my friends when I was younger and got suckered into gaming card trends (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Magic the Gathering). I would frequently go into local comic stores looking for good deals on the latest cards, and usually when I went in or any younger kids walked through the door, the clerk would automatically say “We don’t sell..(insert latest fad)..cards.” That hobby didn’t last and I was always getting dominated when I played against other people in local tournaments (what a waste of time!).

Eventually I picked up some comics at one of my local stores, and my collection has exploded since then. I primarily did business on eBay during the first few years of my collecting, and I learned from many early mistakes (none too costly fortunately). Later, I found mycomicshop.com and used their unique buying system to do a ton of business with them. However, over the past year, they have significantly lowered their buying prices, and they don’t buy too much expensive stuff, so I am exploring new outlets to buy and sell (I think they are still a very good business however). I now buy from most of the major comic auction houses on the internet, and have found them all to be great (Heritage, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc..)

The main thing that is keeping me busy these days is college. I am a Petroleum Engineering major at the University of Kansas (4.0 GPA so far!), so my comic reading time has been cut down dramatically, but I still find time to read some of my favorite modern age titles (The Walking Dead, Green Lantern). I have a vast collection of back issues, hardcovers, and TPB’s, but I haven’t had a chance to read many of them! I may not have time to read all of my books, but I have plenty of time to buy and sell them.

Anyways, I would much rather be on a beach reading comics than learning about calculations most people will never have to put up with, but for now I will push through and make sure you all can have your oil in the future – just don’t complain about the price you have to pay :grin: .

My collecting goals include owning a full run of the EC pre-code titles, owning a copy of the Incredible Hulk #1 (favorite character), and owning as many Golden Age superhero keys as I can.

Thanks for reading – I look forward to contributing to this valuable online resource.

Planet Comic-con is next weekend – I’ll post some pictures.

See ya,

Paul

Pictures of campus below. Go Jayhawks – NCAA champs???

th_Top.jpg th_Snow.jpg th_PotterLake.jpg th_OreadandUnion.jpg th_OneLibrary.jpg th_MuseumandTower.jpg th_Football.jpg th_EngBuildingswithConstruction.jpg th_Buildings2.jpg th_Buildings.jpg th_BBALLFieldhouse.jpg

Welcome to the boards Paul. Hulk #1 is a great book, hope you locate one soon.

Quit school and move up here to the Ft Mcmurray area and make big $$

working on a rig or scooping tar sands into a giant dumptruck. No calculations

required.

Yeah, I know my school is involved in researching improved development and recovery of sand and shale reserves, but I'm not ready to cross the border yet. I think I will be assisting in some research on chemical surfactants next semester, so hopefully that will be interesting.

Kansas hm You get alot of tornados there? Welcome to the Boards :applause:

O yeah, I'm definitely in the red zone for tornadoes. I haven't had to run down and hide in my basement very often though, and I haven't seen any funnels up close, so my comics are safe for now.

Hiya! I am a fellow college student, University of Idaho. WTTB!

Jake Mackessy

Cool. Your website has some awesome art and sketches. If I ever decided to quit engineering I think art would be second on my list.

Welcome to the boards!!!!

Why the Miami Heat avatar? :eyeroll:

Always been a basketball fan, but KS doesn't have a pro team (Kings moved to Sacramento), so I started following the Heat before their 05-06 championship season, and when they picked up some big name guys before this season it was awesome! Don't know if they can make it to the finals this year, but they will win a championship soon.

Welcome to the boards Paul. Hulk #1 is a great book, hope you locate one soon.

Quit school and move up here to the Ft Mcmurray area and make big $$

working on a rig or scooping tar sands into a giant dumptruck. No calculations

required.

Yeah, I know my school is involved in researching improved development and recovery of sand and shale reserves, but I'm not ready to cross the border yet. I think I will be assisting in some research on chemical surfactants next semester, so hopefully that will be interesting.

Kansas hm You get alot of tornados there? Welcome to the Boards :applause:

O yeah, I'm definitely in the red zone for tornadoes. I haven't had to run down and hide in my basement very often though, and I haven't seen any funnels up close, so my comics are safe for now.

Hiya! I am a fellow college student, University of Idaho. WTTB!

Jake Mackessy

Cool. Your website has some awesome art and sketches. If I ever decided to quit engineering I think art would be second on my list.

Welcome to the boards!!!!

Why the Miami Heat avatar? :eyeroll:

Always been a basketball fan, but KS doesn't have a pro team (Kings moved to Sacramento), so I started following the Heat before their 05-06 championship season, and when they picked up some big name guys before this season it was awesome! Don't know if they can make it to the finals this year, but they will win a championship soon.

Nice work quoting!

Welcome to the boards Paul. I am still amazed at the amount of knowledge available on these boards, even with being on here for years.

If you need it, want it, looking to get rid of it or just need an answer, this is THE place.

My collecting goals include owning a full run of the EC pre-code titles, owning a copy of the Incredible Hulk #1 (favorite character)

Owning a full run of Tales from the Crypt and Hulk 1-6 are my main goals (thumbs u (in some far-flung future).