• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Vintage D&D Character Sheets Here - And I know you have them!
1 1

269 posts in this topic

Oh, did I mention I still have a regular gaming group. We play every other weekend.

Anyone wanting to let go of their old stuff, let me know. I collect all the old games.

i wonder how many of us are ging to track this stuff down now that we see it all again (those who dont have em still..matthew ..HOW COULD YOU SELL EM?) i loved top secret and d & d. no one around me got into star frontiers.

my fav mod wa barrier peaks, the cover blew me away..lazers?....in d & d?????

Geez that episode brought back memories. One of my group was amazing with painting the Ral Partha figures. At one point he entered contests, and his pieces would sell for like $50 and a $100 each, and he had a waiting list of months for people wanting to buy them. Real lead, not plastic or whatever they use now for Heroclix mini's.

I vividly remember playing module Tomb Of Horrors, and our entire party wiped out, characters that took us years to build. Wonder where my old books are.

Tomb of Horrors was wicked cool. White Plume Mountain was awesome too.

Descent into the Depths of the Earth was cool (3 modules) and there was another one that kind of interfaced with Gamma World where your D&D characters run into a giant crashed spaceship...can't remember the name of that one, but it had a red cover.

Expedition to barrier peaks :)

Kicked our behinds every time. lol

Great Modules:. Descent to the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow and Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

They were Death on stick, Mates!

You got that right.

Is this stuff worth any money?

I know I still have a fairly worn original dungeon masters guide, player manual, fiend folio etc somewhere.

Here is a site that lists scarcity and values of vintage D & D modules, books and boxed sets. Most are common and can be found of eBay regularly for $5-$20, even the non-first printings of the original core books from the late 70s and early 80s. Most of the 1st printings of the books or rule-sets can be valuable as you would expect. There is an early version of the Deities & Demigods book that has stats for the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos. TSR used that stuff without permission and were forced to remove them from subsequent printings. That book is worth probably 10 times a regular version.

Dungeons and Dragons Scarcity and Value

I know I still have a fairly worn original dungeon masters guide, player manual, fiend folio etc somewhere.

Here is a site that lists scarcity and values of vintage D & D modules, books and boxed sets. Most are common and can be found of eBay regularly for $5-$20, even the non-first printings of the original core books from the late 70s and early 80s. Most of the 1st printings of the books or rule-sets can be valuable as you would expect. There is an early version of the Deities & Demigods book that has stats for the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos. TSR used that stuff without permission and were forced to remove them from subsequent printings. That book is worth probably 10 times a regular version.

Ok, now I'll really geek out... ;)

TSR actually retroactively got permission from Chaosium to use the Cthulhu Mythos in subsequent printings of Deities and Demigods providing they cited Chaosium as being the copyright holders in the later printings of the book (they believed it to be in the public domain when including it in the 1st printing). TSR decided it wasn't a good idea for them to be crediting a competitor in one of their rulebooks and voluntarily removed the reference to the Cthulhu Mythos (as well as the Melnibonian Mythos) rather than credit them for its use.

/geekspeak

This is a funny thread. My 8 year old son has been wanting to play D&D so my brother sent me electronic copies of all the D&D stuff and I just got the original players handbook and dungeon master's guide in the mail last week!

I am living the D&D dream all over again. After a 20+ year hiatus, I started a new 4th edition campaign for my 12 year old step daughter and her cousins to help them work on their math and communication skills. They had no idea that role playing games existed outside of X-Box and PlayStation. We are all having a blast, and I'm trying to convert some old school modules to 4th edition so they can experience the same thrills I did as a player of the classics you guys remember from the old days.

Barrier Peaks was awesome, remember the Mind Flayer on the ship? I am working on converting Ravenloft now to the new rules which are much more tactical and purposely balanced than the old school rules. They have eliminated wandering monsters which is weird, and taken away some of the anxiety when facing creatures such as Vampires or Medusas who could drain your levels or turn you to stone with a glance. These sorts of monster super powers have been eliminated or at least scaled back in favor of powers with less devastating finality. No creatures are able to permanently drain levels for example any more. Character death is still a present danger, but doesn't tend to happen immediately and without mercy anymore as in Tomb of Horrors and some other classics. Definitely takes some getting used to, but I can see the reasoning behind them softening the game and putting more emphasis on fun and less on dealing immediate character death.

You guys should dust off the old books and pull the kids away from their video games or the TV for a weekend. You'll get the juices flowing and you'll feel just like you did when adventuring in your teens. :cloud9:

Ok, now I'll really geek out... ;)

TSR actually retroactively got permission from Chaosium to use the Cthulhu Mythos in subsequent printings of Deities and Demigods providing they cited Chaosium as being the copyright holders in the later printings of the book (they believed it to be in the public domain when including it in the 1st printing). TSR decided it wasn't a good idea for them to be crediting a competitor in one of their rulebooks and voluntarily removed the reference to the Cthulhu Mythos (as well as the Melnibonian Mythos) rather than credit them for its use.

/geekspeak

Yes, what he said is correct, what I said was not! :makepoint: