• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Vintage D&D Character Sheets Here - And I know you have them!
1 1

269 posts in this topic

I am living the D&D dream all over again. After a 20+ year hiatus, I started a new 4th edition campaign for my 12 year old step daughter and her cousins to help them work on their math and communication skills. They had no idea that role playing games existed outside of X-Box and PlayStation. We are all having a blast, and I'm trying to convert some old school modules to 4th edition so they can experience the same thrills I did as a player of the classics you guys remember from the old days.

Barrier Peaks was awesome, remember the Mind Flayer on the ship? I am working on converting Ravenloft now to the new rules which are much more tactical and purposely balanced than the old school rules. They have eliminated wandering monsters which is weird, and taken away some of the anxiety when facing creatures such as Vampires or Medusas who could drain your levels or turn you to stone with a glance. These sorts of monster super powers have been eliminated or at least scaled back in favor of powers with less devastating finality. No creatures are able to permanently drain levels for example any more. Character death is still a present danger, but doesn't tend to happen immediately and without mercy anymore as in Tomb of Horrors and some other classics. Definitely takes some getting used to, but I can see the reasoning behind them softening the game and putting more emphasis on fun and less on dealing immediate character death.

You guys should dust off the old books and pull the kids away from their video games or the TV for a weekend. You'll get the juices flowing and you'll feel just like you did when adventuring in your teens. :cloud9:

I agree completely. I am currently running a 1st edition game for our group. We have been playing the 3rd edition rules for several years. First time for 1st edition AD&D in about 12 years,

Many, many, more save or die opportunities in the early games. Later versions definitely take the fear of instant death away!

I am living the D&D dream all over again. After a 20+ year hiatus, I started a new 4th edition campaign for my 12 year old step daughter and her cousins to help them work on their math and communication skills. They had no idea that role playing games existed outside of X-Box and PlayStation. We are all having a blast, and I'm trying to convert some old school modules to 4th edition so they can experience the same thrills I did as a player of the classics you guys remember from the old days.

Barrier Peaks was awesome, remember the Mind Flayer on the ship? I am working on converting Ravenloft now to the new rules which are much more tactical and purposely balanced than the old school rules. They have eliminated wandering monsters which is weird, and taken away some of the anxiety when facing creatures such as Vampires or Medusas who could drain your levels or turn you to stone with a glance. These sorts of monster super powers have been eliminated or at least scaled back in favor of powers with less devastating finality. No creatures are able to permanently drain levels for example any more. Character death is still a present danger, but doesn't tend to happen immediately and without mercy anymore as in Tomb of Horrors and some other classics. Definitely takes some getting used to, but I can see the reasoning behind them softening the game and putting more emphasis on fun and less on dealing immediate character death.

You guys should dust off the old books and pull the kids away from their video games or the TV for a weekend. You'll get the juices flowing and you'll feel just like you did when adventuring in your teens. :cloud9:

I agree completely. I am currently running a 1st edition game for our group. We have been playing the 3rd edition rules for several years. First time for 1st edition AD&D in about 12 years,

Many, many, more save or die opportunities in the early games. Later versions definitely take the fear of instant death away!

I had not thought about this but I know my nephew and several others are interested in playing. I haven't run a game in years but it might be fun to get them together and play.

great sketches, matt!

a guy had a warehouse find of these at a wizard world chicago show about eight years ago. i thought it was the original set... but it's not. it's still shrinkwrapped and pretty cool. he was selling them for $100. i still wish i had bought one.

110530.jpg.0b517aa9a32c967fc6c7cffb5543a496.jpg

What a great thread. If you guys are inspired, you can probably spend hours reading this old school blog: http://www.grognardia.blogspot.com/

I've been reading it like crazy over the past week. I decided a few weeks ago to dust off the books and run an adventure or two for a friend that's moving away. Really fun to think about this stuff again. I've been rereading the Temple of Elemental Evil lately.

That letter from TSR is the coolest, thanks for posting. I have an envelope somewhere from Dragon with a contract signed by Roger Moore for a short article of mine that they published in the summer of 1990.

OK - I TOO went to my garage.. and have found the motherload..

uploads commencing

I remember needing a place to store my dice in about 1982 or so.. and drew inspiration from how my mom stored leftovers - you guessed it - Tupperware!

Just found my box of die

Photobucket

There is something about seeing this that just fills my heart with excitement haha

Tupperware - a great place to store olives, celery and lead figurines. I started buying a fair amount of these..and then got one of those model painting kits and got to work.. I was also buying the "odder" items like desks, bookcases, cauldrons and circular "well" covers w/ various runes on them haha

Photobucket

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

Man! I loved playing as a kid. My older brothers got me into playing and it's how I got into painting miniatures (as we used to have elaborate mini-dungeon-based games). D&D and AD&D and comics are what made weekend nights as a kid great :cloud9: We eventually moved on to some other games and then... everything got packed up and put away once high school hit. :sorry:

Well Forrest, we live close enough that we could get a game together. hm

Jeff--I'll tell you what: I still have nearly everyone of the old AD&D book. Hell, I'm half-tempted to take you up on it once my schedule starts clearing up a bit! I ran a game for my brother's bachelor party (how sad are we?-) a number of years ago and it was probably some of the best fun we'd had in a long while.

LMK!

Is this stuff worth any money?

I know I still have a fairly worn original dungeon masters guide, player manual, fiend folio etc somewhere.

Rule guides aren't worth much if anything due to the quantity of them floating around, unless you have pristine 1st printings.... Boxed sets, source books, and modules are where the $ value is. Not all, but many of the classics and scarcer items...