• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Vintage D&D Character Sheets Here - And I know you have them!
1 1

269 posts in this topic

I own this little gem. Cover to the module Blizzard Pass. Bought directly from Tim Truman about 4 years ago

th_blizpass_98a.jpg

Dude, get that framed! SWEETNESS! (thumbs u

I'm uber-jealous... ;)

:golfclap:

I've thought about it. I'll probably do it one of these days.

I own this little gem. Cover to the module Blizzard Pass. Bought directly from Tim Truman about 4 years ago

th_blizpass_98a.jpg

Cool! Never thought about the original module and book art. Anyone know TSR's position on the originals? Did they keep them? Give them back to the artists? hm

Can't speak for all of TSR's artists but I asked Tim if he still has any of his TSR work, thinking that maybe I could purchase an illo from a module interior he worked on. He said all of that stuff was gone (which tells me that TSR had returned to him his stuff after publication) but he still had the Blizzard Pass cover. I was blown away. At the time, I really couldn't afford it but I knew that it was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity and if I passed on it, I'd be kicking myself forever. I paypal'd it with my credit card and then sold off some comics to help pay for it. lol Best move I ever made.

th_blizpass_98a.jpg

Cool! Never thought about the original module and book art. Anyone know TSR's position on the originals? Did they keep them? Give them back to the artists? hm

Very, very hard to find any originals from the earliest 15 years or so.

Been trying to track down Erol Otus for years like he was an old HS girlfriend. :censored:

I tracked him to a game design company but he never responded to inquiries.

It's ironic that the word "tracking" looks a lot like "stalking".

Do a google search for Dave Trampier, creator of the Wormy comic in Dragon Mag and an early TSR illustrator. Here's the wikipedia article. Sad that he just gave up the biz :( Along with Erol Otus, he's at the top of my list of TSR artists.

i want the full-page image of Thor fighting the Midgard Serpent from Dieties and Demigods

That image is responsible for me starting to read Thor comics in 1980. As I read I kept seeing them as they were drawn in D&D instead of the comic artists. Such strong visuals.

Here's one by the person who I think did the Norse Gods and some other Deities and Demigods art. I love his stuff. Anyone familiar with the artist, or own any originals by him/her?

Freya.jpg

That is Jeff Dee I believe. He also did most of the artwork for Villains and Vigilantes the super hero RPG from the 80's.

I wish I had some original stuff by him.

Yeah, that's Jeff Dee. He was my fave, along with Willingham. Never really cared much for Otus, thought his stuff was too grotesque, but I can see why others would dig it.

Seems like Roslof didn't do a whole lot, comparatively speaking.

Freya. :cloud9:

I never played D&D. It was just too dorky for me.

I played in Strat-O-Matic baseball leagues and tournaments instead. That was MUCH cooler. lol

I got my 20-sided dice right here.

Never got into D&D. My buddy and I bought a couple mods at the community yardsale one year in an attempt to get into it but, of course, they were incomplete and missing a whole bunch of info (including rules). So that was very short-lived. lol

I did like the cartoon as a kid though.

I played in Strat-O-Matic baseball leagues and tournaments instead. That was MUCH cooler. lol

The baseball equivalent of D&D.

Dork

Sixto Lezcano, 1979. 85/47 L/R split. (see if anybody here gets it).

Dork

I remember the name like it was yesterday :cloud9:

e0b4976be673621b05a872cf64ed.jpg

Dork

Card Dorks! lol

Didn't have enough time to really read this whole thread, but saw enough to know who the real dorks are! :kidaround:

What's funny is while I have always been immersed in Fantasy stuff ever since I can remember, I never played D&D once.

Maybe they didn't invite me. :blush:

Question though, it sounds like you had to have a really decent Dungeon Master to have a good experience. How exactly did you dorks pick out who was the best storyteller, weaver of tales, knower of all rules and spells?

A role of the dice, whoever had the most stuff, or was he elected?

Question though, it sounds like you had to have a really decent Dungeon Master to have a good experience. How exactly did you dorks pick out who was the best storyteller, weaver of tales, knower of all rules and spells?

That is a good question.

Since I never played, i don't know the rules. Can one of the uber-geeks give us the "insufficiently_thoughtful_person's Guide to D&D"? ;)

Didn't have enough time to really read this whole thread, but saw enough to know who the real dorks are! :kidaround:

What's funny is while I have always been immersed in Fantasy stuff ever since I can remember, I never played D&D once.

In my case it was always me simply because its the role I wanted to play and the others wanted to be the players. I loved being the DM or Storyteller or whatever iteration it was for that game. I loved spending my time creating a backstory, NPCs (Non player characters) for the group to interact with, peppering my world with little nuances. What it really boils down to is a creative process that was satisfying to me.

Not to mention I actually love reading the games rules and accessories like Scottie reads technical manuals. I spent hours reading and rereading the rules I could quote just about every little thing.

Its really a collaborative effort though...your players have to be involved but there are tricks to getting them involved if they are reluctant or shy.

Im a gaming dork.

Edited by Shootydog

In my case it was always me simply because its the role I wanted to play and the others wanted to be the players. I loved being the DM or Storyteller or whatever iteration it was for that game. I loved spending my time creating a backstory, NPCs (Non player characters) for the group to interact with, peppering my world with little nuances. What it really boils down to is a creative process that was satisfying to me.

Not to mention I actually love reading the games rules and accessories like Scottie reads technical manuals. I spent hours reading and rereading the rules I could quote just about every little thing.

Its really a collaborative effort though...your players have to be involved but there are tricks to getting them involved if they are reluctant or shy.

Im a gaming dork.

Exactly the same for me. I wanted the role, volunteered for it, and was successful.

I devised a great campaign, have had multiple players play through it, and all enjoyed it. The greatest challenge D&D faced was technology replaced face to face gaming: getting the players together became such a struggle.

Loving this thread, and oh yes I will contribute to it.

You were too big of a dork for the D&D dorks to hang out with. lol

Dork

Amazing the careers of these players. Will never be in the HOF, had a half decent career, now a batting coach in Danville. I bet those players have no idea who he is or that he won a Gold Glove.