• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some reviews of modern comics in stores now (1st Post)

34 posts in this topic

In my first post I figured I do a review of some of the books I’ve been reading. Most of these are off the beaten path and are not Marvel or DC.

Join in if any of these books interest you or if you have different opinions!

The Mission (Image comics, Current issue is #2)

The main character Paul Haskell is confronted by a man named Gabriel and told he has been selected for A MISSION. He tells him there is a war going on between good and evil and Paul’s been chosen to play a part. Gabriel tells him he must kill a man. Paul naturally thinks Gabriel is a crack pot until certain events unfold. I thought issue #1 ended great, and got me to pick up #2. #2 actually made it more interesting.

Bottom line: I’ve added this title to my pull list. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Who is Jake Ellis (Image comics, Current issue is #2 of 5)

The main character Jon Moore can apparently see a ghost whose name is Jake Ellis. Feels like James Bond, but the ghost character is there to tell him how to escape and stuff. Story got a lot more interesting in #2 when we learn Jon can see Jake due to a mysterious experiment. Lots of mystery here, and twists as the ghost character starts turning against Jon.

Bottom line: I’ve added this title to my pull list. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Sigil (Crossgen, current issue is #1)

I picked this up because it was listed as a hot pick by one LCS, and an employee pick at another. The story is about a girl named Samantha whose mom died and is having a hard time adjusting. Very CW feel if you get my drift. After a lot of high school drama stuff happens she gets warped back in time to a pirate ship. She learns she’s going to become a powerful warrior and her mother was as well.

Bottom line: Unless the description above sounds great to you, PASS.

Axe Cop (Dark Horse Comics, current issue is #1 of 3)

The cool thing about this book is that it’s done by a team of brothers. The writer is 6 years old, and the artist is in his 30’s. I saw hype on this and I think it’s great these brothers did a comic together. That said, it reads exactly like a 6 yr old wrote it (I have a 4yr old son). So the tag line of OMG it’s written by a 6 yr old isn’t suppose to be, “wow, can you believe this 6 yr old did this? He must be a genius.” NO. When you read it, you’ll feel like your reading a 6 yr olds writing.

Bottom line: Buy #1 to give it a try, but I’m not buying 2 or 3.

H2O (Dynamite Entertainment, one-shot)

This was a one-shot that came out a few weeks back. The cover is an AWESOME picture and got me to buy the book. It’s the size of a TPB. Cover price was $6.99. The story takes place in the future and the planet is on the verge of dying due to a lack of water. (Post apocalyptic book.) A new glacier is discovered and a race is on to claim it. It’s actually better than I’m describing it.

Bottom line: Buy it, it’s worth the read. (thumbs u (thumbs u However, since it’s a modern and there has been no hype on it at all, you could just add this to your dollar bin diving list or try to pick it up cheaper.

To give you an idea of my taste, here are other comics I currently enjoy:

The Walking Dead

Invincible

The Stuff of Legend

The Boys

Goon

Proof

Cowboy Ninja Viking

Crossed

Locke and Key

The Sixth Gun

Terry Moore's Echo

Wasteland

Halcyon

Future new books I'm going to try include:

Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker (Came out yesterday)

Green Wake (I think this comes out next week. The artist Riley Rossmo does Proof and CNV too.)

H2O (Dynamite Entertainment, one-shot)

This was a one-shot that came out a few weeks back. The cover is an AWESOME picture and got me to buy the book. It’s the size of a TPB. Cover price was $6.99. The story takes place in the future and the planet is on the verge of dying due to a lack of water. (Post apocalyptic book.) A new glacier is discovered and a race is on to claim it. It’s actually better than I’m describing it.

Bottom line: Buy it, it’s worth the read. (thumbs u (thumbs u However, since it’s a modern and there has been no hype on it at all, you could just add this to your dollar bin diving list or try to pick it up cheaper.

+1 and Welcome

Crossgen is back?

Yes!! I can't wait to read the new Ruse # 1. :banana:

From the other reviews posted and info from podcasts, I really need to try Ax Cop, just to experience it. It's been intriguing from what I've heard.

Keep the reviews coming :popcorn:

WTTB! You need to read Chew to fit in around here, though. :sumo:

This is the truth..

WTTB! I can say that now cant I?

Chew fan? Check.

Sure you can Dom! lol

WTTB! Thanks and keep the reviews coming! :headbang:

Isn't Cowboy Ninja Viking cancelled?

Kind of. They are taking a break. There is movie talk though, which might get them to come back to it sooner.

Sometimes creators have to mix it up and try something else to get more fans. Then they can come back to stuff with a larger fan base. Along those lines, Riley Rossmo (CNV artist) has a new comic coming out later this month called Green Wake.

His other comic Proof is also going to take a break after Proof: Endangered #5. They plan on doing something else (a mini not yet announced) and then are going to return to Proof. The writer Alex Grecian posted it, and their reasons on the Image boards.

Crossgen is back?

Yes!! I can't wait to read the new Ruse # 1. :banana:

From the other reviews posted and info from podcasts, I really need to try Ax Cop, just to experience it. It's been intriguing from what I've heard.

Keep the reviews coming :popcorn:

Sure thing. Here are 2 more:

Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker (Image Comics, Current issue is #1)

Obviously from the cover, the book has humor and our hero gets laid a lot. A retired superhero (whose origin is similar to Captain America) is hired by Jay Leno and Cheney to destroy a prison for superhumans and murder all the villians inside. Fun book, but it's missing something. The story seemed to simple. Like it could have been a one-shot, instead of the opening of a new series.

Bottom Line: (thumbs u Issue #1 was good enough that I'll buy #2, but #2 will make or break if I continue to buy.

Undying Love: (Image Comics, current issue is #1)

It's about a guy trying to cure his vampire girlfriend by killing the vampire who made her. That vampire is of course over a thousand years old and super powerful. If that sounds familar, it's because it is. Lots of vampire stories exist with the same basic plot. It even directly mentions in the comic that the basic plot is nothing new. But the book has a grity feel to it, not at all like the Twilight movies. This one did have that #1 issue of a series feel, with introductions of characters you know we'll see again and learn more about.

Bottom Line: (thumbs u Similar to BB. Issue #1 was good enough that I'll read #2, but if #2 doesn't continue to add to the basic worn out plot I'm gone.

Kind of. They are taking a break. There is movie talk though, which might get them to come back to it sooner.

Sometimes creators have to mix it up and try something else to get more fans. Then they can come back to stuff with a larger fan base. Along those lines, Riley Rossmo (CNV artist) has a new comic coming out later this month called Green Wake.

His other comic Proof is also going to take a break after Proof: Endangered #5. They plan on doing something else (a mini not yet announced) and then are going to return to Proof. The writer Alex Grecian posted it, and their reasons on the Image boards.

Why are they taking a break? They just started the new volume. At this point, they probably should have taken a longer break after the 1st volume.

Pat

Can't wait to read your Locke & Key: KTTK #6 review. :popcorn:

Did that book come out yet? It wasn't in my stack this week or last week. Did I miss it?

I got hooked on this series after picking up the 1st HC for 5 bucks at a convention. I wait until I have all six issues before reading each arc. I did that with Head Games and Crown of Shadows. So I'm waiting on #6 to read Keys to the Kingdom.

Why are they taking a break? They just started the new volume. At this point, they probably should have taken a longer break after the 1st volume.

Pat

Do you mean PROOF?

Alex Grecian said they picked up zero new readers when they launched the new #1 with Endangered. Their decision to do something else is about the exposure point I made above + economics. They aren't selling enough copies of Proof on a monthly basis.

It's a shame. It's one of my favorite books. Right up there with The Walking Dead.

I love the book too, but I honestly think the art can be a tough sell to someone who doesn't know how good it is.

To keep the integrity of the book, it would have been interesting to try some different cover artists but keep the interior arts the same. Just a bit of marketing to get people to crack it open.

A lot of stores drive me nutz because they don't push the good books. They are far too many books on the shelves that cause these to fall through the cracks.

Pat