• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THOR selling. Now, or after?

62 posts in this topic

I have enough mid grade JIM :( None of my raw books are better than 7.0, and my copy of 112 is probably a 5, which makes me very sad.

If you don't want to split the Thor issues up, and prefer to sell them as a lot, I could help contribute to your slab fund by buying the 112, etc. Shameless :)

How complete is the Thor run? '66-'67, or more extensive? If they're as splendid as the scan you posted earlier, that's family heirloom material. The "to slab, or not to slab" question points to slab for me.

I have enough mid grade JIM :( None of my raw books are better than 7.0, and my copy of 112 is probably a 5, which makes me very sad.

If you don't want to split the Thor issues up, and prefer to sell them as a lot, I could help contribute to your slab fund by buying the 112, etc. Shameless :)

How complete is the Thor run? '66-'67, or more extensive? If they're as splendid as the scan you posted earlier, that's family heirloom material. The "to slab, or not to slab" question points to slab for me.

126-203 complete

Jim 86,87,88 in 6.0-6.5

This linky directs you to a comic site that prices books directly from OSPG.

Maybe common sense should be a super power on these boards, and I'm the accidental superhero, but how doesnt an online project referencing values directly from Overstreet not set off alarm bells?

Besides completely ripping off Bob Overstreet's efforts, the pricing doesn't match the 40th edition of OSPG on some books I just looked up (such as Avengers #1). It's an interesting site with a lot of info...not sure it's all correct. (tsk)

126-203! Over 6 years in VF/NM or better? Your dad rocks! I wish my dad had been that careful with his comic books, back in the day...Sigh.

I flirted with the idea of owning a run from 126 to 158 or so, and I imagine there are several boardies that would want to buy the total run at one go, one stop shopping.

Failing that, the prospect of buying a high grade lot like that would likely make several collectors' pupils dilate and wallets open, whichever auction venue that you chose to go with.

Always, always, always sell BEFORE the movie!

Thor or any other character!

Thanks again google.

Although "sell the sizzle and not the steak" was originated by legendary salesman and motivational speaker Elmer Wheeler way back in the 1930s, it's still in use in sales and advertising circles. The expression refers to the importance of marketing excitement for a product instead of the product itself.

126-203! Over 6 years in VF/NM or better? Your dad rocks! I wish my dad had been that careful with his comic books, back in the day...Sigh.

I flirted with the idea of owning a run from 126 to 158 or so, and I imagine there are several boardies that would want to buy the total run at one go, one stop shopping.

Failing that, the prospect of buying a high grade lot like that would likely make several collectors' pupils dilate and wallets open, whichever auction venue that you chose to go with.

90% of those are 9.2 or better.... :headbang:

Always, always, always sell BEFORE the movie!

Thor or any other character!

Thanks again google.

Although "sell the sizzle and not the steak" was originated by legendary salesman and motivational speaker Elmer Wheeler way back in the 1930s, it's still in use in sales and advertising circles. The expression refers to the importance of marketing excitement for a product instead of the product itself.

That`s why it will be very interesting to see how the silver age market looks post summer of 2012, that`s when the Avenger movie finally comes out, this movie has been hyped since 2007! The Avengers,Thor and Captain America comic books have had a lot of growth since 2007 due to part of the hype of the movies, the question is will this bubble burst after the Avengers movie or will we continue to see the record breaking prices for Jim #83,Avengers #1 and #4 plus Captain America #100?

hm

I expect that the Avengers #1 and #4 will continue to climb, using the past sales performance of TOS #39 as a guide. Captain America #100 could do well, but as a 1968 key there are many high grade copies...159 in 9.4 or better (I bet a few more may be in the pipeline at CGC as I type this).

The high-grade copies of Avengers #4 should hit that sweet spot of Avengers & Captain America collectors, but with 28 copies in the census at 9.4, and 42 at 9.2, I suspect that Avengers #1 will be the main beneficiary.

Perversely, I hope copies of JIM #83 stay low for a few years until *after* I have a high grade copy of my very own (if I ever do), but I don't expect prices to do that.

I'm all about JIM #83, so I'm biased. I would exhort anyone that would listen to not buy a copy. By all means, go after Avengers #1 & 4, ignore JIM #83...Please?

Pity me :)

So I decided that I'm going to list them now. No time for CGC. That will give the new owner(s) the privilege of doing it. Wish I would have had the $ to have them all pedigreed in my dads memory. He was never a fan of slabbing a book, but I think he would have appreciated pedigree/???? collection.....

So I decided that I'm going to list them now. No time for CGC. That will give the new owner(s) the privilege of doing it. Wish I would have had the $ to have them all pedigreed in my dads memory. He was never a fan of slabbing a book, but I think he would have appreciated pedigree/???? collection.....
unlikely extensive of enough collection to have pedigree'd, but post your listing in the boards ebay selling page, sure many would like to bid/know about it... good luck (thumbs u

What's the concensus on selling HG early silver Thor's? Before the movie or after?

I know it depends on if the film is a hit or not. Ironman books continued north well after the film came out. Will this do the same?

I'm asking because I have the complete UHG run, but now I'm thinking of getting many of them CGC'd.

Opinions?.....Thanks

Trey

Since we're both in Seattle, I'd love to see them. If I recommend sell them, you'll know I'm biased (but seriously, I'd probably love to see them, PM me with your list--I'll buy you coffee for the privilege).

Getting them CGC'd is an expensive proposition, but if they're truly high grade, it could be worth it, whether you decide to keep them a while longer or capitalize upon the movie hype.

I succumbed to the movie hype myself, and finally became a member of the Journey Into Mystery 83 Club this week. Sent the book out express mail to the CGC the same day I received it, but I don't expect to get it back until the day before the movie premieres.

You could pay for Express grading, only $85 per book (gulp) to get your run processed in 5 business days. Make of that option what you will :)

In an attempt to sound like an objective bystander, given the time frames for getting your books graded, waiting to sell until *after* the movie comes out is probably a prudent choice. I have noticed a flood of mid-grade and some high grade books to be scheduled for auction both right before (Heritage, Comiclink) and some a week after (Comiclink), including this highest CGC graded book which may be Comiclink's idea of an April Fool's joke:

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=885950

Here is one of my books. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4702162&fpart=1

I dont own a Thor book in lower than 9.0

Thats a great book

Congratulations to The Silver-Age (fellow Seattle Thor enthusiast) for setting a new record price for JIM 125 in 9.0:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230610196206&si=Rq19q%252F6W%252FPMYXX1Evsz6n7LBuQU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1156

I bid for awhile, but $330?!

Are you sure you don't want to get the other issues slabbed now? The Captain America lots seem to be selling like hotcakes as well...

Looks like "before" was the right choice...

Wow. Mental note: check Craigslist today...

That drek must have really meant something to the other party. Of course, what you consider drek might be considered treasure to many of the rest of us. That's the best copy of 125 I've ever seen! I know it's been several months, but if it were me, I'd still be buzzed over that pickup...What did you do with the under copy? :baiting:

I've said my piece already on whether or not to get the run graded...Given the timeframe for the movie, getting them graded before the movie opened was not very likely. Oh well, some lucky buyers will have to shell out for the grading fees in their leisure time.