• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Closed

112 posts in this topic

Every single book in this thread has sold via PM. That's gotta be some kind of record!

No kidding. The thirty day mark will be an interesting one.

I just suggest that people take a little more time to look at scans and ask alot of questions from guys who are new to the forum that no one knows.

Take a lesson from this. If it is not someone you know and you know they will take returns and that they know how to grade, and unless the scans don't leave any doubt at all, be very wary.

Hope everything works out for whoever got burned.

Yeah, who could've seen this coming? :P

I have been tempted by new sellers selling bigger dollar books here several times...I think the only time I've ever bitten was for lower dollar books or readers. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude otherwise.

Take a lesson from this. If it is not someone you know and you know they will take returns and that they know how to grade, and unless the scans don't leave any doubt at all, be very wary.

Hope everything works out for whoever got burned.

But, but, but...if I don't act quickly, this brand new seller with crappy pics and semi-expensive books will have already sold them. My head is saying no, but my greed is saying yes.

Fifteen minutes after he put up the books, two of the bigger ones "sold" per "PM".. I smelled a rat, but didn't want to all over his newbsauce thread and only posted a semi-sarcastic "wow that was quick"

Not a single :takeit: in the tread and all books sold ? I know some people prefer to deal behind closed doors, but 100% PM-sales ? Come on ! :screwy:

His pushing of non-standard (and non protected) form of payment (INTUIT) also raised a red flag.

I hope everyone gets their money back, it's a bad scene for everyone. People got burned, some arseclown gets some ill-gotten gains and all newbies get even more scrutinized.

I will have my wife go to my storage unit this weekend and bring me back a box of more comic books to list.

My first selling experience on this forum has been a very pleasant one. Thank you everyone.

Steven

Appears it has been. It is also his last but for some it is too late.

I just suggest that people take a little more time to look at scans and ask alot of questions from guys who are new to the forum that no one knows.

Fantastic 4 #123 $65 NM- or better SOLD

Dinged bottom of spine, one stress line middle of the spine, can't tell whats going on with top of spine, looks really tanned.

Fantastic 4 #111 $80 NM SOLD

Book has 7 color breaking stress lines, a corner crease at bottom right and maybe a color breaking crease at bottom middle.

Thanks for the great information Dale. I actually bought these two FF from the seller, and while they were not graded as professionally as they should have been, I could see what I was getting from the scans. Everything you mention about the books is very true, but I also did not pay anywhere near what he was originally asking. I sent a lowball based on what I saw in the scans, and he immediately accepted. I suppose that really was another warning sign. At the very least, the books were shipped immediately and I had them in a day, and well protected too. I can live with the 111, but the tanning on the 123 is worse than I anticipated and I'm sorry to say that will be my first "must upgrade" copy in the run I have begun to amass.

Now, I feel I've become spoiled by the quality of books I received from Foolkiller's ultra high grade bronze thread...

Dinged bottom of spine, one stress line middle of the spine, can't tell whats going on with top of spine, looks really tanned.

Book has 7 color breaking stress lines, a corner crease at bottom right and maybe a color breaking crease at bottom middle.

Thanks for the great information Dale. I actually bought these two FF from the seller, and while they were not graded as professionally as they should have been, I could see what I was getting from the scans. Everything you mention about the books is very true, but I also did not pay anywhere near what he was originally asking. I sent a lowball based on what I saw in the scans, and he immediately accepted. I suppose that really was another warning sign. At the very least, the books were shipped immediately and I had them in a day, and well protected too. I can live with the 111, but the tanning on the 123 is worse than I anticipated and I'm sorry to say that will be my first "must upgrade" copy in the run I have begun to amass.

Now, I feel I've become spoiled by the quality of books I received from Foolkiller's ultra high grade bronze thread...

lol - if you judge the quality of most other books you get against Foolkiller books, you'll lead a life mostly filled with disappointments.

True that...Brian is a definite hook-up for cool books, often at great prices...you'll give yourself carpal tunnel on his week long extravaganza threads, but I have runs of Night Nurse and Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love that say the pain is worth it (thumbs u

My more general advice (for what it is worth) to the newer guys, is on sales threads with people selling straight out of the gate, check with an older boardie for an opinion. After a while you get a Spider Sense for train wrecks in the making hm and this one stunk to high heaven from the start...actually debated posting some info about the last thread I remember everything going by PM (involved claims that to this day still make me shake my head in wonder :doh: ) but held off...regretting that now for the folks going through difficulties. Anyway, the older hands here are actually quite nice and helpful if you have concerns about how credible a thread looks...just drop them a PM (I remember consulting Skypinkblu, Bosco, and Boozad a good bit when I was starting up). (worship)

Of course, there are also the times someone deals/flips books, and is willing to take the risk that the thread is a bust if the book is nice enough and the price is right...roll of the dice if you will. Sometimes it pays off...sometimes you wind up with what looks like a month of frustrated waiting and nothing to show for it :shrug:

Just my two cents and best of luck to everyone,

SE

Excellent. Glad not everyone got burned on this thread. Most of the books look fairly nice, just not quite as nice as he claimed. If the prices were reflective of the actual grades, maybe it will work out okay.

In all honesty, the guy may not be a scammer. He may simply be a guy who doesn't know much about grading books and didn't realize that the people on this thread really know what they are doing. Hopefully, he will refund the money of the people not satisfied.

Excellent. Glad not everyone got burned on this thread. Most of the books look fairly nice, just not quite as nice as he claimed. If the prices were reflective of the actual grades, maybe it will work out okay.

In all honesty, the guy may not be a scammer. He may simply be a guy who doesn't know much about grading books and didn't realize that the people on this thread really know what they are doing. Hopefully, he will refund the money of the people not satisfied.

I too made offers significantly less than asking based on my perceived view of the grades. All accepted. Even so, the Iron Man 1 has foxing on the back cover. The Cap 100 is very nice.

I hope you are right Dale :wishluck: I would definitely be concerned, however, if I was a buyer as a couple of folks have indicated a lack of communication (or abrupt stopping of discussion) and escalation to Paypal disputes :(

Well I only would lose 50.00 "Thank god" but I'm more worried about the people who paid more for the bigger books. He has until the 20th to respond to my paypal dispute. I would love to see what he says. Worst part is that its his wifes or someone else paypal account that got the money.

Well I only would lose 50.00 "Thank god" but I'm more worried about the people who paid more for the bigger books. He has until the 20th to respond to my paypal dispute. I would love to see what he says. Worst part is that its his wifes or someone else paypal account that got the money.

Unfortunately that is sometimes a flag to worry about, a different Paypal account.

I hope this will be resolved well.

I have a feeling Steven will be back soon enough to respond to inquiries. But maybe that's my naive nature talking. I just didn't get a bad impression of him via PM that he would leave everyone high and dry. He did have a serious case of pneumonia which left him in the hospital for an extended period. Maybe it got worse again.

And since we are biding our time waiting for resolutions and I'm fairly happy with my two pickups (I said fairly! lol ), can you guys educate me on the term "foxing?"

Is there an area on the board with definitions I should learn?