• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Registry Awards

424 posts in this topic

So I know these aren't for another 2 months, but who's getting ready for the Awards? I know I am, with a few books coming back from CGC to help me win Top Ranked in a few sets.

What sets are you guys trying to win in? :popcorn: Who do you vote for each award?

Always fun times!

What does one need to do to "qualify" or be considered for this new Copper Age Award?

Collecting books in your registry from the 1980-1990 range, which CGC determined to be its stance on the Copper Age.

But someone suggested a category last year that was really interesting. Sets that cross the ages like Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, etc. What a great category that would be for best set.

Always fun times!

What does one need to do to "qualify" or be considered for this new Copper Age Award?

Collecting books in your registry from the 1980-1990 range, which CGC determined to be its stance on the Copper Age.

But someone suggested a category last year that was really interesting. Sets that cross the ages like Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, etc. What a great category that would be for best set.

Action Comics! :luhv:

Always fun times!

You deserve an award just because.

(worship)

It's always fun to see who wins the best sets.

I won't be able to compete this year(I haven't completed any sets yet :( )

You don't have to have a gazillion graded books, complete sets, shiny high grade Silvers or Bronzes or the #1 Set in Type to win the other awards. You just have to show enough passion for the hobby in your presentation of why you are collecting it in one of your sets to win the judges over.

...or that how I hope it's judged. Good luck Sarah. :wishluck:

Always fun times!

(worship)

Indeed :applause:

Always fun times!

(worship)

Thanks Nick, and good luck! :wishluck:

I really wanted to win Best Presentation(or Best Modern) last year and found myself broken hearted when I didn't. I spent a few months later, trying to fix what I did wrong and then I realized I collect for me and that's all that matters. I'll win an award when I'm ready and actually deserve one.

I really wanted to win Best Presentation(or Best Modern) last year and found myself broken hearted when I didn't. I spent a few months later, trying to fix what I did wrong and then I realized I collect for me and that's all that matters. I'll win an award when I'm ready and actually deserve one.

:cloud9:

With the way you encourage other collectors by sending gifts out, I think you won an award many times over for BEST BOARDIE!

(worship)

With the way you encourage other collectors by sending gifts out, I think you won an award many times over for BEST BOARDIE!

(worship)

Agreed (worship)

(worship)

Agreed (worship)
Yep, a free slab plus a freeby for me! (worship)

Always fun times!

Does this set need to be 100% complete? How does CGC determine who's in the running? Based on points? Book count? Does the set need to be nominated? (rules printed somewhere???) Just curious if there's something I can do or need to do...

Always fun times!

Does this set need to be 100% complete? How does CGC determine who's in the running? Based on points? Book count? Does the set need to be nominated? (rules printed somewhere???) Just curious if there's something I can do or need to do...

There are two types of awards - the first is the "Best in Set Type"-award which is handed to whomever has the number 1 slot in any given set. It doesn't matter how many books you have in the set, whether the set has been completed or how the set is presented - it's all based on points. If your set is in the #1 spot when the Registry awards deadline rolls around, it automatically wins this award & you get a nice little certificate in the mail from CGC.

The award for "Best in Age" is an entirely different beast, though - for each age (Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern, and, for the first time this year, Copper) CGC picks three sets that they feel are the top examples of comic book collecting across these different time periods. Completeness, degree of difficulty, quality of books and presentation all factor in here - but to what extent each criteria is weighed is at the discretion of CGC. A set doesn't have to be complete to win "Best in Age", but if it isn't, it needs to truly shine in all other areas to be considered a contender.

There's also a "Best Presented"-award. It's given to three different sets across all ages based on how well they're presented - images, descriptions, the personal touch that people add to their sets to make them stand out from the competition. I'd say that Jerel's Locke & Key set is pretty much a shoe-in for this one this year.

Lastly, there's the "Best Magazine Set" (self explanatory) and the "Achievement" award - the latter is given to a single registry user, not a set, and is CGC's way of shining a spotlight on the giants of comic book collecting; of paying homage to the people with sets & books of which most of us could only dream.

Any sets that are in the CGC Registry when the awards deadline is up are automatically eligible for these awards - you don't have to nominate them yourself.

Here's the one I am shooting for first place in:

sig.jpg

Got both books coming back SS by Batton Lash from the ECCC in the next few weeks. Can't wait to get them!!!

Plus this one, which won't be done before this year's awards, unfortunately :( (unless you guys have these in 9.8!!!)

sig.jpg

Considering you're already #1 without having added any books, I'd say you have a pretty good shot :grin:

My "best in age" favorites for this year (copper & modern only):

Copper:

- Hitman's ROM set

- docgo's Watchmen set

- JRS069's Transformers set

Modern:

- vicbeer660's Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 set

- Neeidea's Recalled Editions set

- EvilAsh's Walking Dead set

If photos and descriptions are not a requirement for Best Set consideration, then these incredible collections stand out as quite impressive.

Copper Age:

- Eric/Icculus308win, Groo the Wanderer (Pacific)

- Erik B., The Tick

- Moriarty, Swamp Thing 20-64 Alan Moore

Modern Age:

- NewEnglandGothic, Locke & Key - THE BEST PRESENTED SET, HANDS DOWN!

- EvilAsh, Walking Dead (2003) - Not #1 in this registry set, but definitely the best presented.

- goonmaniac, Goon